New Tamiya 1/48 Grumman F-14 (A, Late A, D) Tomcat

Robert

Great time to be an F-14 fan, their F-14A was excellent. Between a couple of these and a couple of the AMK kits, bad time to be my wallet!

Hoping that Tamiya will include the VF-2 CAG jet from Iraqi Freedom. Fightertown Decals also have a sheet for the Tamiya kit coming soon.

All we need now is a boxing for the late A model and the B model. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Hoping that Tamiya will include the VF-2 CAG jet from Iraqi Freedom.

You can bet it will be something safe like that, a scheme that has been done to death already. Look at the two USN options in their A kit. 

7 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

You can bet it will be something safe like that, a scheme that has been done to death already. Look at the two USN options in their A kit. 

Just thinking if they've done VF-2 in their A model… the scheme from the OIF jet is great though.

In fairness VF-2, VF-31 and VF-213 were the only long term operational Squadrons that used the D. VF-11 used them briefly in the 1990s before switching to the B, whereas both VF-101 and VX-9 were for training and testing and evaluation, so it probably makes sense for Tamiya to include the former Squadrons.

23 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Just thinking if they've done VF-2 in their A model… the scheme from the OIF jet is great though.

In fairness VF-2, VF-31 and VF-213 were the only long term operational Squadrons that used the D. VF-11 used them briefly in the 1990s before switching to the B, whereas both VF-101 and VX-9 were for training and testing and evaluation, so it probably makes sense for Tamiya to include the former Squadrons.

Yeah happy with which squadrons used D’s so yes the choices are limited. It’s just always the colourful CAG birds that mostly get depicted like the one you want. 

I’d rather see this:

https://goo.gl/images/uBPv66

or this with temporary aggressor paint:

http://users.vermontel.net//~tomh/images/AIRCRAFT/USN/TYPES/FIGHTER/F14/F14D_163418.jpg

:D 

• Like 3

Unsure why their blurb implies the D had the F110 engines, when the A+ Turkeys had them in '87.

Getting rid of the P&W engines was the best move ever!

I wonder which Kit will arrive in the shops first? Tamiya or AMK?

As it says above the kit is due Summer 2018 in Japan. I rather doubt AMK is anywhere near that date going by what has been shown by them on Facebook.

I would like to see VF-11 Red Rippers on the decal sheet, just to be different.

Robert

I hope one of the consequences of Tamiya releasing another Tomcat, and being the D, will be AMK speeding up things to get their D out. I already have the A from Tamiya, so I´ll wait for the AMK F-14D since it will be more detailed in terms of weapons and wings.

4 minutes ago, dreamwriter said:

I hope one of the consequences of Tamiya releasing another Tomcat, and being the D, will be AMK speeding up things to get their D out. I already have the A from Tamiya, so I´ll wait for the AMK F-14D since it will be more detailed in terms of weapons and wings.

Unless Tamiya will redo their Tomcat and will make wings full mechanization, at least as an option.

Must say I'm a little surprised that Tamiya are doing the -14D variant before either the late A, A+ or B model, given the paucity of Units that operated the -14D and the close association of the A and A+ in particular with Japan based F-14 Squadrons....A large percentage of previous Japanese kits (and re-issues) have featured markings for VF-21 and VF-154 jets in the past, neither of which operated the D. Given that AMK appear to be in the advanced stages of producing their own -14D, albeit with more complexity, I would have thought Tamiya would want to capture the market with the earlier variants - what do I know.......Don't get me wrong....I will be very happy to part with cash for another brace of Tamiya 'Cats but it is a little puzzling.    

Oh......and if I was a betting man (which I am not), I suspect Tamiya's decal options to be VF-2 ;Bounty Hunters', VF-31 'Tomcatters' and possibly VX-9 markings with VF-213 'Black Lions' as a rank outsider......Lets wait and see.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, Tiger331 said:

Must say I'm a little surprised that Tamiya are doing the -14D variant before either the late A, A+ or B model...

The F-14D kit will (hopefully/should) provide most of the parts for an F-14A Upgrade and F-14B Upgrade in one go:

PTID for the RIO (though not all F-14A/B/D's had this)

TARPS/AAQ-25 LANTIRN hand controller for the RIO

NACA gun bay panels

GPS antenna

TACAN antenna (tall type)

Late wheels

BRU-32/ADU-703 Bomb racks

LAU-138 launchers

AAQ-25 LANTIRN and 'HARM' adapter

Vertical tails (with the '7' shaped reinforcement panels)

ECM antenna on the 'Beaver Tail'

All that's left would be the TCS chinpod, additional ECM antenna on the nose-gear door, wing gloves and Sparrow Hawk HUD for an F-14A Upgrade (Minus the Sparrow Hawk HUD) and F-14B Upgrade. Tamiya did this with their F-16C series. Who knows, if we all behave ourselves, Tamiya might tool a new sprue with 'dirty' wings as an in-box option...

On 21/04/2018 at 03:32, LeVi Tophatter said:

The F-14D kit will (hopefully/should) provide most of the parts for an F-14A Upgrade and F-14B Upgrade in one go:

PTID for the RIO (though not all F-14A/B/D's had this)

TARPS/AAQ-25 LANTIRN hand controller for the RIO

NACA gun bay panels

GPS antenna

TACAN antenna (tall type)

Late wheels

BRU-32/ADU-703 Bomb racks

LAU-138 launchers

AAQ-25 LANTIRN and 'HARM' adapter

Vertical tails (with the '7' shaped reinforcement panels)

ECM antenna on the 'Beaver Tail'

All that's left would be the TCS chinpod, additional ECM antenna on the nose-gear door, wing gloves and Sparrow Hawk HUD for an F-14A Upgrade (Minus the Sparrow Hawk HUD) and F-14B Upgrade. Tamiya did this with their F-16C series. Who knows, if we all behave ourselves, Tamiya might tool a new sprue with 'dirty' wings as an in-box option...

One rather important thing too that will be needed as don’t think tamiya will leave them in the D boxing -

Gru-7 seats! 

• 2 weeks later...

From The Tamiya Blog, official now https://tamiyablog.com/2018/05/some-upcoming-tamiya-scale-models-to-be-presented-at-upcoming-57th-shizuoka-hobby-show-2018/

Some Tamiya scale models to be presented at upcoming 57th Shizuoka Hobby Show 2018

14133 1/12 Yamaha YZF-R1M
21161 1/12 Ducati 1199 Panigale Model S Tricolore – Finished Model
23803 1/48 Vought F4U-1D Corsair VF-84 – Finished Model
32412 1/48 Luftwaffe Crew (Winter) – w/Kettenkraftrad
35361 1/35 Japan Ground Self Defense Force MCV Type 16
35362 1/35 French Main Battle Tank – Leclerc Series 2
61118 1/48 Grumman F-14D Tomcat

Robert

Going off the colours that looks like the last cruise vf213 retro cag bird modex 213 in gull with medium blue skunk and rudders, with a black skunk & tailed   tps  vf101 below and to the right. Seems to have the final type of reaper on the tail.

Should be either  modex 163 or 164 that one. 

Now do l finish my Hobbyboss one or park it never to finish it ?

Saving up my pennies this is too good to miss. August 20th seems to be the release date according to the information on ARC and also and also extras ?

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/303452-148-tamiya-f-14d/&do=findComment&comment=2911384

Robert

Decal sheet hints that they have done their homework. 

The rows of decals for the cockpit - seems to have the round RIO’s scope (to suit the 90’s era Vf-11 scheme - stil a cag 100 bird but where are the boar heads?) and the upgrade square PITD screen for the other later schemes. Also looks like there are power on and power off options. 

• Like 1

Great box art and the additional parts look very good indeed. The VF-2 CAG jet is what i was hoping for 👍

Really looking forward to this, hopefully will be on the shelves in a few months!