New Tamiya 1/48 Grumman F-14 (A, Late A, D) Tomcat

Robert

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

so Sidewinder evolution was not really a straight forward process it seems with some parallel developement paths! :thumbsup:

Each 'type' was not a static and unchanging unit, no.  They were gradually developed over time.  As a (really) rough analogy, it's less 'F-16C' and more, F-16 Block 25/30/32/40/42/50/52....  Or, Spit Mk.V vs. Va/Vb/Vc/  There are a lot of subtle detail differences for each particular configuration, even though they all shared the same basic name.  There are five major 'blocks' for the AIM-9P alone, for instance.

As I said, the changes were usually pretty subtle - a sliding connector for the rollerons might change, resulting in a different model number for the wings - which would then be fitted to new missiles being built.  But not significant enough to designate a new missile.  Realistically, the simple answer, to a modeller, is that yes, the back half of an AIM-9D and an L/M is the same.  If you want to get nit picky and be strictly accurate, the answer is 'it depends' because each type changed subtly over time.

Taking a step back, there are three generations of Sidewinder.  The A/B/E/J/N/P are the first generation - same motor, same wings, same basic geometry, which was noticeably longer.  The first gen had a lot more visible development, but if you strip the fins off an AIM-9E and an AIM-9P, they look pretty much the same.  The C/D/G/H/L/M/R/Sidearm/Chapparal are all second generation - the basic design and geometry changed compared to the first gen, but was pretty much the same within the generation.  Again, strip the fins off the missiles, and the second gen Winders all look basically the same. Third generation is the AIM-9X.  Yet again, the basic design was thoroughly overhauled, and there's zero compatibility with previous missiles, but when the AIM-9Y and Z are developed, they'll share a family resemblance.

As for Iranian 'Winders...  they use the AIM-9P, which is evolved from the first generation Sidewinder, so it doesn't share anything with the missiles in the kit.  It would have required separate toolings for the full missile.  My guess is, Tamiya figure that most people (especially in their main market: Japan) will be building USN Tomcats, so it wasn't worth the added expense.  I was surprised they included IRIAF markings at all, so I view it more as a nice bonus, rather than, 'why'd they leave out the Iranian missiles?'  Besides, this way you can do something cool and exotic, like mount Alamos. :D

• Like 4

On ‎10‎-‎10‎-‎2016 at 7:06 PM, ICMF said:

Each 'type' was not a static and unchanging unit, no.  They were gradually developed over time.  As a (really) rough analogy, it's less 'F-16C' and more, F-16 Block 25/30/32/40/42/50/52....  Or, Spit Mk.V vs. Va/Vb/Vc/  There are a lot of subtle detail differences for each particular configuration, even though they all shared the same basic name.  There are five major 'blocks' for the AIM-9P alone, for instance.

As I said, the changes were usually pretty subtle - a sliding connector for the rollerons might change, resulting in a different model number for the wings - which would then be fitted to new missiles being built.  But not significant enough to designate a new missile.  Realistically, the simple answer, to a modeller, is that yes, the back half of an AIM-9D and an L/M is the same.  If you want to get nit picky and be strictly accurate, the answer is 'it depends' because each type changed subtly over time.

Taking a step back, there are three generations of Sidewinder.  The A/B/E/J/N/P are the first generation - same motor, same wings, same basic geometry, which was noticeably longer.  The first gen had a lot more visible development, but if you strip the fins off an AIM-9E and an AIM-9P, they look pretty much the same.  The C/D/G/H/L/M/R/Sidearm/Chapparal are all second generation - the basic design and geometry changed compared to the first gen, but was pretty much the same within the generation.  Again, strip the fins off the missiles, and the second gen Winders all look basically the same. Third generation is the AIM-9X.  Yet again, the basic design was thoroughly overhauled, and there's zero compatibility with previous missiles, but when the AIM-9Y and Z are developed, they'll share a family resemblance.

As for Iranian 'Winders...  they use the AIM-9P, which is evolved from the first generation Sidewinder, so it doesn't share anything with the missiles in the kit.  It would have required separate toolings for the full missile.  My guess is, Tamiya figure that most people (especially in their main market: Japan) will be building USN Tomcats, so it wasn't worth the added expense.  I was surprised they included IRIAF markings at all, so I view it more as a nice bonus, rather than, 'why'd they leave out the Iranian missiles?'  Besides, this way you can do something cool and exotic, like mount Alamos. :D

Or you can just go to Wikipedia...Saves a lot of typing. LOL

Joe

9 hours ago, Robotics said:

Or you can just go to Wikipedia...Saves a lot of typing. LOL

Joe

I'd say ICMF put much more info here than there can bf found on Wikipedia regarding this topic anf my questions in particular...

Aditionally, Wikipedia has always this uncertainty included when it comes to specifics........

So again,thanks ICMF for taking the time!

• Like 2

Now that the kit is out in the UK what is the best price you have seen. The best l have seen is £64.95 post free from Jadlam .

Robert

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Robert said:

Now that the kit is out in the UK what is the best price you have seen. The best l have seen is £64.95 post free from Jadlam .

Robert

That's where i've mine ordered from. Had it pre-ordered with the big H but saw that Jadlam were a bit cheaper. Hoping it will be here tomorrow!

I received mine today from Jadlam, and securely packaged in a box, but am not allowed to open it as it a xmas present from my wife.

I can wait as I have other projects on the go.

Robert

The pre-order price was a bit keen (£56 I think). They soon changed it to £64 though.

Don't know if I'm allowed to mention this, but might be worth asking Chris at Bos Model Center (look them up on Facebook) for a price. He's been very competitive in the past and I've ordered through him many times, always excellent service. Mods, if I've overstepped the mark here let me know. 

Mine arrived from Modelhobbies today £67.49 (free postage over £60).  Nice big box full to the brim! 

I will give it several coats of looking at over the weekend. 

My first Tamiya Tomcat arrived, safe and sound, from Jadlam earlier this week. I must say I was very impressed with the service, no crushed box etc. Equally impressed with the contents of the Tamiya box too. Nice, simple, engineering which keeps the parts count down and improves the buildability out of the box. I can do without dropped slats and flaps on the majority of my proposed Tomcat builds although I will try at least one of Avantgard/AMK's kits when they are released since I have high expectations on them as well !. It should make a nice contrast with the Tamiya offering. Just need someone to produce some of those Late model F-14A/A++ targeting/TV fairings for under the nose so I can use all those beautiful Fightertown/Furball/Two Bobs decal sheets !.   

• Like 1

The original Hi-Decal sheet for Iranian and NSAWC Agressor Tomcats in 1/48th scale, including Asia Minor, blue & grey (3-6041) , experimental blue & sand ( 3-6022) schemes and markings for one of the most successful IRIAF Tomcats,3-6020, credited with at least 10 kills during the Iran-Iraq war and also used in the Bombcat configuration, can be used on the new Tamiya gem.

Greetings

Diego

2 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

My first Tamiya Tomcat arrived, safe and sound, from Jadlam earlier this week. I must say I was very impressed with the service, no crushed box etc. Equally impressed with the contents of the Tamiya box too. Nice, simple, engineering which keeps the parts count down and improves the buildability out of the box. I can do without dropped slats and flaps on the majority of my proposed Tomcat builds although I will try at least one of Avantgard/AMK's kits when they are released since I have high expectations on them as well !. It should make a nice contrast with the Tamiya offering. Just need someone to produce some of those Late model F-14A/A++ targeting/TV fairings for under the nose so I can use all those beautiful Fightertown/Furball/Two Bobs decal sheets !.   

Steel Beach at Sprue brothers are doing various updates.

As Jabba said above, Steel Beach have released tail stiffener plates in resin, vinyl to follow, and have released a block 125 update with all the ECM bumps for the intakes and beaver tail, along with the TCS and stiffener plates. Out of stock at the moment though.

20 hours ago, Tiger331 said:

Have a look here. http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/295568-early-f-14a-and-f-14b-conversions/

• 1 month later...