New Tamiya 1/48 Grumman F-14 (A, Late A, D) Tomcat

Robert

I have a few Hasegawa Tomcats in my stash but this hopefully will not stop me buying one (or two, or three depending on the price under £50?). It would appear that Tamiya have gone for the 'no frills' option which will be good for many people, including me.

I am an AMK fan but it will be interesting to see what AMK's Tomcat will be like as we have not seen any pictures of it yet, just words. I think AMK still have a few positives that they could do like one piece missiles and forward fuselage, whereas Tamiya have gone for two piece forward fuselage (assumed as no picture has surfaced) as shown by the pins on the side of the cockpit floor.

Robert

• Like 1

For my money, with their 1/48 MiG 31 AMK have already easily surpassed Tamiya - and pretty much everyone else too!

Sorry, but I just don't see this. Let's not get carried away. Their Mig 31 is nice, really nice. However, the refinement of the surface detail doesn't come close to Tamiya, more like Trumpeter/Hobby Boss.

Edited by IanF

Sorry, but I just don't see this. Let's not get carried away. Their Mig 31 is nice, really nice. However, the refinement of the surface detail doesn't come close to Tamiya, more like Trumpeter/Hobby Boss.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one!

Tamiya does some lovely stuff, but has often been at least equalled in recent years by some other manufacturers and (in my view anyway) surpassed on occasion.

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 2

You should see the new Hobby Boss 1/48 J-11B, same or better quality detail than Tamiya.

I have big hopes that AMK will release a better Tomcat.

Juan

Hobby Boss/Trumpeter is for me synonyme for "chinese quality" - very often many flaws in accuracy, it is a chinese spam of very problematic kits (from last time a Saab Tunnan declared as 1/48 but reality is - 1/52 scale !!! )Tamiya is still a Number 1 in aircrafts kits and their 1/32 birds are gogreous. In Czech we say Watch of wellies - both stretches. And this is princip of making kits in HobbyBoss/Trumpeter ! Tamiyas kit was far far better as Trumpeter/Hobby Boss. You can´t compared this two companies ! In China are many companies with better approach to making kits ! But HobbyBoss/Trumpeter have worst approach. Make - very fast - give it on market -and - this is all folks ! Meng or Takom have most professional approach to making kits...

Edited by AlCZ

A good year to be an F-14 fan.

Shame to see a bit of criticism for a kit that isn't released yet. Personally, i'll give both Tamiya and AMK offerings a go, whilst keeping my Hasegawa kits too. I'm looking forward to seeing both. If the Tamiya kit is like their F-16 kit we're in for a treat. If the AMK kit is like the Mig-31 kit (from what i've read in reviews) we're in for a treat. What's not to like? :winkgrin:

Dave

• Like 9

It's very easy for everyone to get hung up on their personal 'I don't like's' but the reality is that the AMK Mig-31 kit was excellent, as was their engineering. If that reads across to the F-14 we are in for a treat.

Does that mean that Tamiya have done a bad job and that it is no good? Of course not, but I get the feeling that Tamiya have made their kit to appeal to a slightly different audience. I think that it will be a nice kit to build and will give you a really nice F-14, but without any frills.

The AMK kit will be the one that has the extras, a la Hasegawa, but with the advantage of being easier to build than the Has offering. You take your choice, I personally think AMK's surface detail is really nice but if you prefer Tamiya's, I will not argue. What I will say is that both kits will be great and that you going to be totally spoilt for choice.

You lucky people!

Les

• Like 3

Speaking as someone who (1) likes his models in "dirty" configuration AND (2) festooned with lethal whizz bangs, the lack of either in the Tamiya kit means it will not be coming to a stash near me. I particularly dislike the concept of having to fork out additional money for items (like ordnance) which really should be included in the basic kit. It certainly will not be a "cost saving" measure for any customer who wants his/her F-14 armed to the teeth! Just my preference however. As always, you pays your money, you takes your choice. Still rather have a Spey Phantom though!!

Allan

• Like 2

For my money, with their 1/48 MiG 31 AMK have already easily surpassed Tamiya - and pretty much everyone else too!

Absolutely agree!

Still rather have a Spey Phantom though!!

Model companies, is anyone listening???

If I had the cash, I'd be investing in masters and moulds for a 1/48 Spey Phantom family and a 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XIV series.

Shame one of them couldn't have done the later marks. And there's that infernal Jolly Rogers scheme, again. >sigh<

Looking forward to the aftermarket decals, anyway.

Could not agree more, but have already got a few aftermarket sheets.

To pop out a competitor with an own model of the same subject is a usual method in the plastic model business. We just learn this with the Etendard, we had it last year with the Shacks , Tamiya had (successfully) tried this with the Beaus which were previously announced by Accurate Miniatures and the subsequent Mossie (when they got knowledge of the ongoing AM project). There are several more incidents, also with other label than those mentoned. ...and more of this is in the pipeline ....

I only hope AMK has a "long breath", they will need it.

Andreas Beck

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic, but I think we're giving a bit too much importance to the announcement of the AMK Tomcat or other kits on the choices from a company like Tamiya... this is a company of very large size with a huge number of products and a very effective distribution chain. To give an idea, I once visited a modelling "shop" in Osaka, such shop was spread on 7 floors. 2 of these were dedicated to Tamiya only, one for RC and the other to the rest of the range, including plastic kits. All other manufacturers together were on one of the 7 floors. A company with a similar share of the market is not going to be touched the slightest by the plans of a company like AMK that, while producing some good and well received kits, has a totally different distribution and I would guess works on much smaller number of units per kit.

Personally I would feel that there's room for both kits in the market as the two seem to be designed differently from what we have heard and seen. As a Tomcat fan i'll be happy to see both and both would fill a role in my collection

• Like 2

If this is the case, tell Tamiya that someone is thinking about a 132nd Hurricane Mk1 and see what happens

Why bother with Tamiya? Fly have released a 1/32 Hurricane IIC, with a 11D to follow. Not even remotely near Tamiya prices either!! I'm not over enthusiastic about the Tamiya F-14 myself but as I won't be buying it , that doesn't really matter anyway.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Why bother with Tamiya? Fly have released a 1/32 Hurricane IIC, with a 11D to follow. Not even remotely near Tamiya prices either!! I'm not over enthusiastic about the Tamiya F-14 myself but as I won't be buying it , that doesn't really matter anyway.

Allan

Because it's a Tamiya.

• Like 1

YAWN ! :sorry::huh:

Yes, well done, thank you for demonstrating that you are not interested in the Tamiya F-14. Otherwise I would have never known.

There is a metric ton of releases and announcements about kits that I have ZERO interest in, yet you won't catch me in the respective

topics making snide remarks. Ever since this has been anounced these posts keep poping up and frankly, I have had enough.

Just let the people that are happy about this announcement be happy please.

At this point I can't even tell if it is "YAWN, another F-14" or "YAWN, children and their plastic toys". And that is exactely the attitude

that I get in my day to day life about my hobby and part of the reason why I sought out this community in the first place.

Just, don't. Let it be please.

• Like 9

I kinda mean how boring that we are being treated to yet another F-14 Tomcat as their are too many models of this aircraft out there in its many guises and colour schemes. I am sure lots of people will buy this kit and rave about it, but feel in myself, that do we really need another F-14 ?

Sorry to upset some of you with my opinion !

• Like 3

Looks like the world will have several Tomcats to choose from. I've got the Eduard "Danger Zone" in the stash, but these new kits are making me think I should build one of these instead. I have always loved Tamiya kits, they go together flawlessly. However, with AMK on the scene now, it might be a hard choice. I have not built an AMK kit yet, but I have the Mig-31 and think that is going to be my next build. So, I can't speak to AMK from experience yet, but based on all I have heard here about the Mig-31, plus the kit reviews, I think the AMK might actually surpass the Tamiya kit. First, they include weapons which Tamiya has said they will not. Second, the slide molded one piece missiles are hard to beat. Third, from what I hear, the detail and fit of parts in the AMK kits are on par and and might even rival Tamiya kits. If all these things hold true to the Tomcat releases, I think going with the AMK kit would be a no brainer.

• Like 1

For me personally, this is the best bit of modelling news I've received this year!

A new tool Tamiya 1/48 F-14A with weapons.

Just typing that is very satisfying.

The first few minutes of the following video outlines the features of the kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRXNQ57VGQY

Looking forward to the release of this kit, hopefully, later this year.

• 1 month later...