106 Sqn lancaster - Tribute build for a friend

treker_ed

A quick plea for assistance.

I have a friend who's uncle was in 106 Squadron during the war. He was a W/Op/Air/Gnr on ED708 - ZN-O of 106 Squadron shot down on Operation Gomorrah. Unfortunately, the aircraft seems to have come down either on ingress to target or egress from target and is believed to be somewhere in the North Sea. The aircraft was lost with all hands.

In order to say thank you for all the hard work that my friend has given our church over the years, I would like to build a representation of this aircraft for her. I already know that it is a Lancaster B.III, but an accurate representation would not be to necessary as the lady and her family are not avid aviation enthusiasts so would not pick out any discrepancies between a generic B.III and the specific airframe in question. Getting the main decals is no issue - getting the serial and Squadron details is the issue however.

I have done a fair bit of searching for any images of ED708, but have so far not found anything. So I pass it to the BM collective. Does anyone know if ED708 had any nose art? Or where I can get the appropriate sized and coloured "ZN-O". I know Hannants do the correct lettering for the serial number.

I wont be building this for several weeks as I will be on sabbatical with SWMBO for the next 8 weeks, but I will be able to check in from time to time.

Many thanks in advance for any help given

Treker_ed

I imagine you've already thought of this , but the aircraft in question is pretty close to the serial numbers of the aircraft which took part in the Dams raid , so it's a fairly safe bet it would be similar to them (apart from the Dams modifications) , so I would go for an aircraft with fuselage windows and the early narrow , pointed props .

Xtradecal do a number of sheets of Dull Red code letters , but I don't know which size they are most likely to be . Somewhere I have a decal sheet for ZN-Y "Admiral Prune" - if I can find it I'll measure the codes on that & then guess at those on ZN-O being the same .

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

I've been researching RAF casualties from NE England, and he's from Bishop Auckland, and is commemorated in the Book of Remembrance here:

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6350

Simon

Thanks Simon.

My colleague has been researching her family tree and was estranged from her father and has only recently found out about her uncle. Because she has done so much for our church, and that she is also retiring fully (she is retired from her original job with a high street bank!!!!) I thought building this (a) as a remembrance of her uncle, and (B) as a thank you, would be quite a fitting way of doing both at the same time.

I imagine you've already thought of this , but the aircraft in question is pretty close to the serial numbers of the aircraft which took part in the Dams raid , so it's a fairly safe bet it would be similar to them (apart from the Dams modifications) , so I would go for an aircraft with fuselage windows and the early narrow , pointed props .

Xtradecal do a number of sheets of Dull Red code letters , but I don't know which size they are most likely to be . Somewhere I have a decal sheet for ZN-Y "Admiral Prune" - if I can find it I'll measure the codes on that & then guess at those on ZN-O being the same .

John Green

Nantwich , Cheshire

I dug out my decals for ZN-Y & found that the codes were 48 inches high by 30 inches wide , so the Xtradecal sheet you need is this one :

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72211

• 7 months later...

Thread resurrection time!!!!

I will be starting the build in the new year - the person for whom this will be built retires at the end of jan/ beginning of Feb. I need to pick up a display case/cover - I have found a base that I can use which replicates the dispersal point on a WWII bomber airfield, I just need a cover!

The display base I have found is 420mmx297mm so the case needs to be tall enough to accommodate the newest Airfix Lancaster B.I/III kit (at a rough guess 120mm high) but just a little smaller than the base.

As I have never bought one of these before where would anyone suggest buying one from? I do have a very tight budget and time frame so an off the shelf would be great!

Thanks