Airfix stopping Kitstarter

Dave Fleming

Posted on their forum:

I know there’s a lot of interest in what we might be adding next to KitStarter but unfortunately, it has been decided to put the project on hold at this time so we will be retiring the section shortly. It’s been a very interesting trial for us and garnered a lot of interest and suggestions. Hopefully, we’ll be able to come back to it in the future – you’ll be the first to hear if we do! Thanks to all those who have contributed.

Cannot say I am surprised at this, given the rather odd (to me anyway) choice of subjects for the project. Good idea but, I suspect not nearly enough interest overall to justify continuing at this time.

Allan

Cannot say I am surprised, fairly odd selection of subjects I wonder how well they did their homework before they started. It is an idea that still has potential, but probably needs a bit more thought around who they think are going to be interested and what will be worthwhile doing.

At £15 a pop I think they were onto a loser from the off. It didn't help when they only listed two plane subjects and didn't regularly update the options available.

£15 each for a small production run of kits that have not been available for decades doesn't really sound too bad to me, when in the past Monogram and Revell made special issues of some of their oldies they both charged a premium for these kits, nothing strange here

• Like 3

£15 each for a small production run of kits that have not been available for decades doesn't really sound too bad to me, when in the past Monogram and Revell made special issues of some of their oldies they both charged a premium for these kits, nothing strange here

Did they come down in price ? IIRC the Bluetits first launched were quoted as being 20.

Anyway, Revell and Mono History Makers/Heritage Ed./SSPs came in full boxes, Kitstarter was supposed to be plain brown. And really, you will be able to obtain just about all of the kits that were circulated on ebay for less, with the xeception of the Basset - which probably explains why she made it.

Did they come down in price ? IIRC the Bluetits first launched were quoted as being 20.

Anyway, Revell and Mono History Makers/Heritage Ed./SSPs came in full boxes, Kitstarter was supposed to be plain brown. And really, you will be able to obtain just about all of the kits that were circulated on ebay for less, with the xeception of the Basset - which probably explains why she made it.

I have no idea of the price, my understanding is that the two aircrafts were priced £15, at least from what I've read here..

In any case the process that Airfix went through to make these kits available again must have costed them somewhat, selling them at the normal price for a kit of the same series would have resulted in a loss for sure.

Strange as it may seem the only kits that really interested me out of the lot were the Bluetits and Bullfinches. The Wildlife series were beautiful little models and I now have the complete set! However, the afore mentioned pair of kits were picked up in a local charity shop for a lot less than £15. They can still be had on ebay (for example) for less. I think Tempestfan is right concerning availability of these kits second hand. To be honest, I don't think we will see Kitstarter again.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Agree with Albeback52. It was a nice idea, but now that the cold wind of fiscal reality is blowing up the Airfix kilt this will be the first bright idea to go. Pity, I was looking forward to an SRN-1...

Richard in NZ

Just received my Basset this morning and to say I'm underwhelmed would be a understatement.

Very simple white box with a sticky label saying what was in it. Thought we might have at least got a retro style box...

Don't think I'll be bothering with the Beaver even if they do continue.... :fraidnot:

Just checked on the fancy track your delivery thingy and it has arrived and will be awaiting my return from Johnny Land!

Christian, happy to have a Basset again!

One kit and no more... Well there's a surprise. What did they expect ? A surge of interest in Anne Boleyn and Bluetits ? A bit of this had to be down to Hornbys financial woes and situation abroad, but you must admit, it was a half-baked idea to begin with. Ah well, back to the spits and Hurris...

Well, Airfix managed to send mine to my old address despite me changing it 2 months ago. I am now relying on the people who bought my house being honest enough to return it to the courier or I will have to rely on ebay. Here's hoping they liked the house...

I mentioned in another thread of receiving my Basset. BUT In the packet was an advice note addressed to someone in Sandbach!!! So who has got mine?? A mix up in labelling all the orders on the outsides of the packets by the look of it. Despite the efficient emails telling us the status of our orders!!! I can foresee a lot of people sending each other their advice notes flying around the postal system.... if they bother.