Finished after 5 weeks. I present the Airfix 1/48 Meteor F8, with markings from Xtradecal, etched undercarriage bays, flaps, cockpit details and engine bits care of Eduard, with more engine bits added from plastic rod and strip, fuse wire and copper. I won't go into details as it's all in the WIP section. Alclad metallic paint and Humbrol weathering powders used also.

I put the wrong intakes on it, but was too far along with the build to correct this. I also managed to crack the windshield but it's not too noticeable here.

The biggest problem I had was deciding which pics to put in here, as I shot it on 3 different bases, so here's a selection. Apologies if there are some similar 'poses'

535A08F9-C90E-4D1F-A570-4E8B1BA087DE_zps

E5273E38-32FD-4BF6-AACA-64395CCA6E6A_zps

4DBEBA1F-1309-4726-95AA-2F294EB11F81_zps

7B6490B1-6EFE-4215-85CD-D3BB10C490C0_zps

16FBA42A-3717-43BF-9CC1-3A4679001430_zps

C25B2466-072E-44CC-B1C9-176B9F51C1BD_zps

C7038D67-FFD7-4AB9-A0E9-936955FE90FE_zps

CF78819E-358A-4D9F-85BB-29755608FE04_zps

796BFBCB-3FBD-4B43-BCA2-E007FF4BF930_zps

45B0D5C8-679E-4A2A-88CC-E9F2D902AEA6_zps

B5CDCA67-53D3-4773-BD27-A64076693206_zps

0AD7CA68-CFC0-4566-A6A9-F68DED7A309B_zps

D15E8971-9A8C-4C46-A754-0B679566BE56_zps

1B1D8B6F-F385-4B6D-B513-FC189E845E12_zps

And when I finish this plaque, I'll display it on it as it is a better size

CE5B8617-1723-4547-B475-49D2F42B5761_zps

Thanks for looking!

• Like 61

Bleeding gorgeous build! I'm very much leaning towards getting one of these, they look like a very nice kit!

Out of interest, how did you achieve the staining on the panel lines behind the gun compartment? Is it pastels or pigments or something?

• Like 1

Bleeding gorgeous build! I'm very much leaning towards getting one of these, they look like a very nice kit!

Out of interest, how did you achieve the staining on the panel lines behind the gun compartment? Is it pastels or pigments or something?

Humbrol weathering powders, brushed on dry. Mainly Smoke but with the odd bit of Black and Dark Earth thrown in here and there. If you make a mess they are easy to clean up and start again.

Ah ok thanks. I tried spraying Tamiya smoke for a similiar effect on my current build and royally cocked it up, but I have stacks of pigments so I'll try that instead.

Again, lovely build, the metallic finish is superb ☺

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. How was the building process?

Very nice, would have been faster and easier had I built out of the box with no extras. You can find it in the Work in Progress section

Yes a superb finish , but as Tom says , should be " High Speed Silver " an aluminium paint finish which tends to a dull silvery grey when weathered .

Andrew

PS a really super model build though.

It is Alclad High Speed Silver. As I stated in the WIP I thought it was a little too silver for me, but I dulled it down a bit with a satin coat.

Now that looks very very Nice!!! I've really enjoyed your build too.

How did the tail chequer decals fit?

Jonners

Not too bad, the bottom halves they were a bit wider than needed, and deeper (though that depends on how far down the individual paints the red) so I ended up trimming some off when nearly dry. The edges needed a touch up with roundel blue paint, especially the back edge where those flat areas are at the back of the rudders

That's a lovely build! I'm not a big fan of this aircraft, however after seeing your model I'm beginning to think about buying that kit. Superb work!

• Like 1

Not too bad, the bottom halves they were a bit wider than needed, and deeper (though that depends on how far down the individual paints the red) so I ended up trimming some off when nearly dry. The edges needed a touch up with roundel blue paint, especially the back edge where those flat areas are at the back of the rudders

Thanks mate - it's interesting to hear.

Jonners

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. Incidentally re the HS Silver, I got the idea to use that as the builder of the example in the Airfix mag used it on his and it looked quite good, and being an Alclad user (and not having that bottle) I thought I'd try it :)

Master piece of this historic aircraft.

Enjoyed all the pics. Greetz, Orion

• Like 1

That's a great looking Meteor. Cockpit and engine have really paid off, both look very convincing. Very nice weathering as well- although the Alclad does look a bit more like nmf than hss to be honest- (in no way detracts from your excellent build though!)

• Like 1