Italeri vs academy F-35

Hi,

I am looking for a good F-35A kit, I saw italeri has one and academy, wich one is better? I am looking for a f-35 with weapons so the hasegawa wont be it? Is there a difference in quality between the italeri and Academy?

I,ve had all 3, but only test fitted them. For me the Academy kit is the best it has a weapons bay pylons and a few things to put under the wings. May I suggest adding the decal set from Wolfpac to add the stencils.

The Hasegawa kit is good but simplar without weapons or pylons the kit also looks fatter than the academy offering "I don't know which if any are right".

Don't bother with Italeri's offering its the worst of the three.

Regards Glenn.

Take the Academy if you want it to show off its innards.

Take the Hasegawa if you want a 'clean' aircraft.

Forgot about Italeri, it's hideous.

Buy the hasegawa from Japan for the same price as those two. Then splurge a few extra pennies on the hasegawa weapons set. There's no competion between the kits, way inferior the pair of them

Not much use to buy the weapons set as it has all its bays closed... unless you want to hang stuff under the wings, but then you'd have to scratch build the pylons as well.

I think it's Hasegawa's reaction to criticism of over-engineering on their Eurofighter and Raptor. The F-35 kit is much simpler, but I like it as it offers all the detail you really need (even including intake trunking) on a 'clean' aircraft and it makes for a much quicker build. They've also priced it accordingly, which is always nice.

Edited by sroubos

I really like the Academy kit, I have built 3. I have also built one of the Hasegawa kits, and although they are around the same price, the kits are too similar in detail level to spend the extra cash on the Weapons Sets. Also as said above, the Academy kit has weapons bays, and I find the Academy kit is generally also ~£5 cheaper.

Rob

The Italeri kit also has weapons bays, but the fuselage detail of what is the RAM tape IRL is stupidly exaggerated. Also, to my eyes, it just doesn't look as 'F35' as the other two.

My advice is forego the others, build the Hasegawa F-35A with no weapons, and pray for a better F-35B or -C to show off the goodies. Reason, the scale 4" tall ram panels on the others can't be made to look stealthy at all, whereas the decal RAM on the Hasegawa kit just sits there looking right. Plus the kit fits like a glove. If not for the complex paint cheme, this would be a one-day build.

photo-vi.jpg

photo-vi.jpg

Ed

• 1 month later...

A big problem with the Hasegawa that nobody seems to mention but is evident in the pics (and personal experience since I recently built it) is that the RAM decals are a color that does not match the real thing - they are a blue-gray shade that would make the plane look hideously wrong if you dared paint the rest in colors that would match it.

A decal company whose name I forget is planning to release RAM panel decals for the Academy kit which would therefore solve its only major issue. It is indeed true that any raised RAM detail is unrealistic but it's not as bad in the Academy as in the Italeri

A decal company whose name I forget is planning to release RAM panel decals for the Academy kit which would therefore solve its only major issue. It is indeed true that any raised RAM detail is unrealistic but it's not as bad in the Academy as in the Italeri

I think you have this in mind: http://www.millcreekconsultants.com/WP72-A-086.html

The Ramtapes on the Acedemy Kit are far the best of all kits in town until now. One or two wipes with fine grit and it will look ok.