Airfix Do17Z finally done!

Well, after starting this project about 18 months ago, trying to fit in time around my gorgeous baby girl, its finally complete! A nice little kit, a bit tricky in places but a huge improvement on the old Airfix kits that I would not normally touch. Gunze, Tamiya and AK interactive acylics, oil wash/filters and flat/satin finish, kit decals. :thumbsup:

Additions:
- Kit exhaust rings and air inlets replaced with the Quickboost set but there's little difference to be honest.
- Replaced all kit MG15's with Master brass barrels
- Quickboost resin wheels and props/spinner set (big improvement on kit parts)
- Hydraulic lines on undercarriage are copper wire
- Built antennae on underside of fuselage from Albion Alloys 0.3 brass rod
- Replaced kit pitot tube with Albion Alloys brass tubing
- Undercarriage struts from oleo to guard
- Added vertical struts to crew access door
- Antennae wire is super fine elastic from Ushi Van Der Rosten

IMG_0784_zpsubkrbusc.jpg

IMG_0766_zpsvwwp9tel.jpg

IMG_0768_zpsimrk9sg8.jpg

IMG_0769_zpsodd1wx4v.jpg

IMG_0770_zps73rybzxh.jpg

IMG_0772_zpsjddjy8cc.jpg

IMG_0780_zpsiic4i2nv.jpg

• Like 67

Very nice one!

After I read you post I thought - why props have to be changed? I looked at my Airfix Do17 in stash and with surprise noticed that props are so anemic - it is sad... I think old Monogram had better props...

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM

The pick of the German bombers (appearance wise) and you've done it justice there. How was it to build?

John.

Thankyou all for your kind words! Just to answer you John, the kit is a vast improvement on old Air fix kits and it pretty much fell together with minimal sanding,gap.filling etc. The cockpit is a vital fiddly and as I opted to use master brass barrels, I had to glue the MG stocks to the inside of the clear parts, drill a small hole from the outside and insert the barrels but that was the only hassle really.

Edited by Charlie19

Makes me want to buy one..and a Heinkel to go with it!

This is tremendous, a real beautiful build. Got one hiding in the stash, maybe I'll just leave it there after seeing this!

Eng

Just to answer you John, the kit is a vast improvement on old Air fix kits and it pretty much fell together with minimal sanding,gap.filling etc. The cockpit is a vital fiddly and as I opted to use master brass barrels, I had to glue the MG stocks to the inside of the clear parts, drill a small hole from the outside and insert the barrels but that was the only hassle really.

Thanks, was thinking about buying one but worried it's beyond me.

John.