1/43 Land Rover Station Wagon

Hi All, here is my latest model; Humbrol's boxing of the Heller 1/43 Land Rover Station Wagon. Its a very simple kit that looks good out of the box, but there is room for improvement. I have two of these kits and both of them have the same problem, the bonnet and upper bulkhead are both split:

26882432266_caf60dcd64_b.jpgLR001

The body is all one piece and fits in the box if it is upright, but laid on its side it is too wide and the box squishes the body with the consequences shown. The wheels are smooth and very narrow, so I cut some grooves around the edge and added a disc in the middle to widen them, and now they look the part. I added some pedals, the diff-lock and High/Low ratio levers, a fuel cap and blanked off the front wheel arches. All the bits are in the box shot below; have you ever seen such a lairy colour of plastic for a model that didn't come out of a cereal box?

26882432276_cc65d60a94_b.jpgLR002

I was stuck for what colour to paint the model, I already have the Italeri 1/24 in light blue. I hunted around and found a photo of one in a light grey colour which looked quite nice, so that's what I did. Most of the paints are Model Color with Humbrol Tank Grey (57?) for the tyres. The main body is Model Color Sky Grey and I used some Mig pigment Gulf War Sand to muck up the tyres a bit. Despite all my care I still managed to crack the rear window. The only decals with the kit are the number plates which are just 'Land Rover', so I have left it for now. I may do some decals in the future, we shall see, but for now it looks like this.

26310334344_0e25ed5d0e_b.jpgLR003

26822220102_d673d9efd5_b.jpgLR005

26310334544_e47fcc25b8_b.jpgLR004

26310333944_4e27129b5c_b.jpgLR006

Thanks for stopping by for a look.

• Like 11

That is very darn nice indeed. I built one of these years ago which was promptly trashed when little fingers got a hold of it so I know what wonders you've worked to get this so good. Inspiration for the one in my stash. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Lovely little Landy, that's a cracking model! (oops, pun not intended!!) Looks great in those colours, & the mods you made to the wheels & tyres work really well!

I've got one of these in the stash somewhere, I don't actually remember having looked at it - I certainly don't remember that green plastic! - I shall have to dig it out & check the bonnet.

Keith

• Like 1