Airfix Boulton & Paul Defiant

Hello All,

I would like to share with you my rendition of Airfix's excellent new tool Defiant (and a couple of pictures of their not so good old tool Defiant!!)

I had a lot of fun with this build as it goes together so easy, I have another in the stash that will be done as a Night Fighter.

Built OOB except for tape and wire seatbelts and wingtip navigation lights and done in the kit markings. Decals are nice but a little stiff, I found that they would not conform to the panel lines even with a good dose of Micro Sol, I ended up using a toothpick to help them settle in. Paints are (my favourite) Tamiya Acrylics with a light oil wash on the top to modulate the colour and a preshade on the bottom. I kept the weathering to a minimum.

Also are some pictures of it's older brother that I made a number of years ago with a lot of modifications (Tail enlarged, new chin intake, altered ailerons etc etc) as a comparison. Sorry about the very average photos.

IMG_0827_zpstvtucyyh.jpg

IMG_0828_zpshrnswaig.jpg

3_zpsv3huqwgz.jpg

4_zpsrxpp249d.jpg

5_zps1sobbrhi.jpg

IMG_0832_zpsocr5czep.jpg

7_zpsuam6nums.jpegIMG_0834_zpsmyrbbbir.jpg

9_zpsy4omn1cr.jpeg

IMG_0836_zpsh0spsshg.jpg

IMG_0837_zpsnykuqs9i.jpg

IMG_0838_zpsqnirzhr2.jpg

14_zpszbtutnqr.jpg

IMG_0840_zpsycyl0vj4.jpg

IMG_0841_zps5mdxgf0y.jpg

IMG_0842_zpssuymj75h.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope that you enjoy.

From the land of the long white cloud

Shane.

• Like 22

That's a very nice looking model,I am just building one at the moment and it will not look as good as that. Looking at the old Airfix kit, you might just fit a Gypsy6 in the cowling! It does not help that a lot of the drawings of Defiants seem to get the nose so wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments. Airfix have really come a long way in their engineering and the kit goes together very well as those who have built her can testify. Little things like how the wing attaches means no visible join line and the turret that can be popped in at the end of the build make it a real pleasure. This is the first of the new tools I have built and I hope that the rest are just as good.

Being a name sake I really wanted this to come out well and I am pretty happy with it.

Thanks for looking.