Airfix 1/72 Sea King HC.4 New Tool

Can I ask what colour you used for the green/olive?

I sprayed mine today and used a mix of Tamiya XF58 (olive green) +XF62 (olive drab) +XF52 (flat earth) it looked great at the time but I'm now wondering if it's too pale and too green. It's a tricky one because every different lighting condition makes it look different. I'm not going to reprint it as its a reasonable job and I was aiming for a worn and slightly faded finish.

Very nice work on your build once again.

Rgds,

Eng

• Like 1

Can I ask what colour you used for the green/olive?

I sprayed mine today and used a mix of Tamiya XF58 (olive green) +XF62 (olive drab) +XF52 (flat earth) it looked great at the time but I'm now wondering if it's too pale and too green. It's a tricky one because every different lighting condition makes it look different. I'm not going to reprint it as its a reasonable job and I was aiming for a worn and slightly faded finish.

Very nice work on your build once again.

Rgds,

Eng

Thank you very much for your kind words. I used XF-62 for the green, and XF-2 for the white. It took me about 3 coats in some places for the white to soak up the green to the shade I wanted. I used nato black for the wheels, and medium & dark sea grey on the rotors. I'm looking forward to seeing your model finished, based on your others.

Mark

Nice one !…..one of my favourite schemes on the Junglie

Great !

Thanks Tiger, me too.

Thanks Mark,

It's always interesting to see how different folk interpret colours, my next build will definetly need to be a bit darker I think. I'd like to have a go at the same scheme as yours at some point, but I'm going to have a go at a Mk.3 first, probably as a dark sea grey Falklands bird.

Eng

• Like 1

Thanks Mark,

It's always interesting to see how different folk interpret colours, my next build will definetly need to be a bit darker I think. I'd like to have a go at the same scheme as yours at some point, but I'm going to have a go at a Mk.3 first, probably as a dark sea grey Falklands bird.

Eng

Ohhh you rebel! ;) I have a corgi die cast one, I may buy 2 now that you've mentioned that.

Well worth the effort on the camo. It's turned out very well! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Rambo, it's my pleasure. She's had a superb reception on whichever forum/thread/social media page I have put her on. I guess that's only a good thing, shame that all I see is the blood sweat and tears of trying to get that cammo as accurate as I could

8 HOURS for masking! I get mad after 8 minutes at this.

Worth it. Nice build.

I'm no fan of flying fans but I definitely have to get the Har3. I think there should not be much to change to make a Belgian Mk 48.

Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

8 HOURS for masking! I get mad after 8 minutes at this.

Worth it. Nice build.

I'm no fan of flying fans but I definitely have to get the Har3. I think there should not be much to change to make a Belgian Mk 48.

Thank You, it has pride of place on my the top shelf of my display cabinet. I'd really like the HAR3 too, but to keep it as RAF. Maybe even convert one to RN airframe

Thank You, it has pride of place on my the top shelf of my display cabinet. I'd really like the HAR3 too, but to keep it as RAF. Maybe even convert one to RN airframe

If not like I saw them over the Belgian beaches as a teenager, it will be a RAF one but in dark sea gray (well weathered by the Falklands climatic conditions). Edited by PattheCat
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Mark

Your Sea King is a cracking job - well done - and the camo is superb. :thumbsup: I have this kit on my table at the moment and I'd really like to do the 'junglie' scheme as much justice as you have. If you have any advice on how you completed the paint job it would be greatly received.

All the best

Kris

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 6/22/2016 at 1:39 PM, Mark4700 said:

Very, very nice finish. One to be proud of.

On 6/23/2016 at 0:17 AM, planecrazee said:

Hey Mark

Your Sea King is a cracking job - well done - and the camo is superb. :thumbsup: I have this kit on my table at the moment and I'd really like to do the 'junglie' scheme as much justice as you have. If you have any advice on how you completed the paint job it would be greatly received.

All the best

Kris

Sorry for the VERY late reply guys, I've literally just seen these comments for the first time. 

Thank you Mark, she is sitting in a sealed case alongside a 1/72 Sea Harrier FA.2, still looking great nearly a year on.

Thank you very much, Kris. I scanned and enlarged the instruction manual to A3, and then cut the masking tape to match each stripe perfectly in size. I had to compensate for the dimensions of the air frame where it curves and bends however.

• 4 months later...
On 01/06/2017 at 8:59 PM, stevehnz said:

& I reckon they got it right too, Not sure if I saw this 1st time around but glad I've seen it now, a super job on that camo. Its one I've got squirrelled away to do too.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. It was definitely worth the work and patience! She still has pride of place inside a case, along side a Sea Harrier FA.2