Airfix 1/72 Sea King HC.4 New Tool

Great build that, i must have a go at one of the new Airfix Sea kings.

All that masking would have driven me mad !!!

ScottC

Haha yeah, My neck was aching all the next day! It was worth it in the end though.

That.s a cracking build and finish Mark,great scheme I,m busy with the yellow one at the moment.got any Maskol to spare? :winkgrin:

Oh you're hilarious! I guess Gregg has been telling you stuff :winkgrin: You can have my tub if you want? or gregg can. I'm never using it again!

• Like 1

It was mentioned Mark,the Rescue version has been a mixed bag,as I always manage to push the windows in handling helicopter kits I painted

and decalled the fuselage sides before assembly now I have to mask the lot to spray the tail,sponsons etc! the decals were awful silvering as soon

as dry,luckily I spotted it early but had to gloss under and over the decals it took hours!

• Like 1

It was mentioned Mark,the Rescue version has been a mixed bag,as I always manage to push the windows in handling helicopter kits I painted

and decalled the fuselage sides before assembly now I have to mask the lot to spray the tail,sponsons etc! the decals were awful silvering as soon

as dry,luckily I spotted it early but had to gloss under and over the decals it took hours!

Really? I only had silvering on the transparent ones at the rear of the model. The rest went on alright. What do you use on decals? I had Mircoset & Sol on them, first time too, I was very impressed with it. Much better than decalfix

• Like 1

Never use anything Mark just a good gloss surface,it just seems Airfix have an issue with letters/serials on a lot of new tool kits.

• Like 1

Never use anything Mark just a good gloss surface,it just seems Airfix have an issue with letters/serials on a lot of new tool kits.

You should try it mate, it'll change your outlook on decals completely. It takes a lot for me to try something new, but I'm totally chuffed i did in the end.

Outstanding build and the camo's a lot better than 'half decent' :goodjob: ...

Thank you!...You should have seen the previous 2 attempts! haha

You masked that!!! Man you have some patience! :D Was worth it though as it looks great.

Yeah, but all the way through I wanted to rush it and just get it painted, I'm so glad I held my patience in

Very nice indeed, the effort taken on that masking has really paid off

Great work.

Bob

Thank You Bob, it really has. It's a new benchmark for me to try and improve upon

Very cool build, I've been wanting to build that scheme for a while

Go and do it, it really makes you appreciate masking tape :)

Great build...fantastic scheme

Thanks Richard, do you fancy it one day?

That's why I went for the other option on my first build!

Seriously, that is a fantastic bit of masking and painting, and it looks pretty awesome to me. Fully intend to have a crack at this one too. I just wish Airfix had taken a bit more time to look at that sand filter and its decal colours, it's probably the only weak point of the kit.

Congrats on a very fine piece of modelling, and a lesson in patience!

Eng

• Like 1

That's why I went for the other option on my first build!

Seriously, that is a fantastic bit of masking and painting, and it looks pretty awesome to me. Fully intend to have a crack at this one too. I just wish Airfix had taken a bit more time to look at that sand filter and its decal colours, it's probably the only weak point of the kit.

Congrats on a very fine piece of modelling, and a lesson in patience!

Eng

I can see why, one of my friends did too. Youre right about the sand filter, I think you can get resin ones, but a) i'm not confident wth resin, and B) this was supposed to be a weekend build to get my mojo back, it ended up taking over a week and a half.

Thank you very much, if there's anything I did learn, its that masking, when done properly makes a model. As does tinted windows

• Like 1

Hi Guys & Gals...I present to you, my lastest completion. The New Tool Sea King. It took me 3 attempts to get the camo half decent, the 3rd of which was achieved by 8 hours of masking.

MG_3390.jpg

MG_3391.jpg

MG_3406.jpg

MG_3397.jpg

MG_3401.jpg

MG_3409.jpg

MG_3407.jpg

Great work! I must get the version that Prince William flew!

• Like 1

Great work! I must get the version that Prince William flew!

Thank You, I'd like that too, but my LMS can't get hold of it. It may have to be an online buy.

Well done on the paintwork,....top job!

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'm not in a hurry to replicate it though