22 minutes ago, David H said:

The incredibly long drying times of enamels are a big reason why i switched over to acrylics and acrylic lacquers.

Most problems with enamels taking ages to dry are down to using white spirit based thinners and overly thick coats of paint

Try thinning with cellulose/lacquer thinners or naphtha based thinners and they'll be fully cured in less than 24 hours. Matt & satin paints can be touch dry and masked over in 30 minutes in some cases, gloss xtracolor I always leave overnight in the airing cupboard to be sure. Brush painting you're best leaving the paint to fully cure between coats, but airbrushing if well thinned with lacquer thinner you can get 2 or 3 thin coats on in one session. 

Judging on the model photo's, the OP might have benefitted from an overall white primer coat (Halfords rattle can or the likes) for a nice even base coat covering up the filler before misting a couple of coats of the Ivory on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Most problems with enamels taking ages to dry are down to using white spirit based thinners and overly thick coats of paint

Try thinning with cellulose/lacquer thinners or naphtha based thinners and they'll be fully cured in less than 24 hours. Matt & satin paints can be touch dry and masked over in 30 minutes in some cases, gloss xtracolor I always leave overnight in the airing cupboard to be sure. Brush painting you're best leaving the paint to fully cure between coats, but airbrushing if well thinned with lacquer thinner you can get 2 or 3 thin coats on in one session. 

Judging on the model photo's, the OP might have benefitted from an overall white primer coat (Halfords rattle can or the likes) for a nice even base coat covering up the filler before misting a couple of coats of the Ivory on.

I primed the model with a grey primer. To fill out micro scratches.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, today I made huge progress (for me). 

I masked the whole red areas and mixed the safran red.

I used Xtracolor Insignia red and some drops of Xtracolor orange until I found the perfect match.

I am pretty happy how the safran red turned out.

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 07/03/2021 at 18:57, David H said:

The incredibly long drying times of enamels are a big reason why i switched over to acrylics and acrylic lacquers. They require somewhat more fastidious surface prep, but the drying times are an order of magnitude faster than enamels. For me, they make gloss finishes/ paint schemes much much easier.

-d-

Generally it is not the paint I have used Xtra colour enamels for years and often against tight deadlines. Thinned properly with light coats and the secret is curing in a warm environment. I use a plastic storage tub and leave it in the airing cupboard overnight, its never let me down....

• Like 1

Hey folks, 

I got a little question. I bought Pledge floor finish the other day and my question is can I polish it like a normal top coat?

Greetings

EDIT: I tested it and I don’t like how it turns out. You can’t really polish it. 

Edited by lunch box