Ah! All shall be revealed in good time! I assure you it won't be out of sight ;)

Sam

I'm glad you have said this. It's really looking nice in that cockpit area and would be such a shame for it all to be hidden.

• Like 1

Looks great! Bomb bay is such an integral part of the Vulcan image it is nice to see it on show!

Impressive work there, Sam! :clap:

Wish someone made the bomb bay PE set in 1/48th scale to go with the Aeroclub kit. Think I might as well use yer piccies in order to scratchbuild the parts, or at least give it a try.

If you're going to get a Vulcan with all the PE and resin, all I can say is good luck and I hope you're able to get it past SWMBO somehow!

:hmmm:Hmph... couldn't help but to take that statement sorta personally, somehow. :rofl: How is it that we have accepted to be subjected to our SWMBOS' seizure when it comes to havin' purchased some modellin' stuff...? It's almost hilarious to me to be busted like a toddler when tryin' to sneak a kit into the house without bein' noticed. 'N' even when I lie to the SWMBO (well, she's not actually married to me yet), that the cost of a kit was worth just a couple of quid, she seems to know it's a lie (why are ya sneakin' it into the house, then? :rolleyes: ), or she'll go further 'n' will check out the real cost of it on the webz!

• Like 1

Impressive work there, Sam! :clap:

Wish someone made the bomb bay PE set in 1/48th scale to go with the Aeroclub kit. Think I might as well use yer piccies in order to scratchbuild the parts, or at least give it a try.

:hmmm:Hmph... couldn't help but to take that statement sorta personally, somehow. :rofl: How is it that we have accepted to be subjected to our SWMBOS' seizure when it comes to havin' purchased some modellin' stuff...? It's almost hilarious to me to be busted like a toddler when tryin' to sneak a kit into the house without bein' noticed. 'N' even when I lie to the SWMBO (well, she's not actually married to me yet), that the cost of a kit was worth just a couple of quid, she seems to know it's a lie (why are ya sneakin' it into the house, then? :rolleyes: ), or she'll go further 'n' will check out the real cost of it on the webz!

Such is the plight of us modellers ;)

Well, I don't have anyone to get past (Don't start playing the violins yet!!! I'm only 17 :D ) apart from my parents, but they don't seem to mind.

-----

Updates probably won't be posted over the next week, I've got 4 exams on Tuesday through to Friday, with Bruntingthorpe on Sunday. Anyone else planning on going?

Edited by cathasatail

• 2 weeks later...

Phew! That's the majority of the exams done, only 3 more left next week.

I'll post a few photos over this weekend and work can re-commence properly next weekend! Huzzah! :D

Many thanks,

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, but finally the exams are over, the "work experience" week is out of the way!

So what's been happening with the Vulcan? Scribing. Just... scribing....... Lots ... and ... lots... of.... scribing.... :|

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1308.jpg

Kind regards,

Sam

• Like 6

Sammy! :yahoo:

So, how did it go with yer exams?

Yer Vulcan is lookin' impressive! Congratulations on a job well done, my mate. I wish ya'd had the Aeroclub 1/48 Vulcan instead of the Airfix 1/72 one to do all this beautiful detail work...

Speakin' of which; I've just discovered the link on yer sig! (Are ya out of this world, Sam?). Sure ya're just 17? :bleh: Chap, where d'ya get all that info from? I was intendin' to do the same detailin' on some sections of the vac-form Aeroclub Vulcan.

(Crikey! Need to create an account first in order to leave a comment on yer blog). Wonder how yer comin' over down here for six months would suit me so that we worked on my Aeroclub Vulcan kit. Tenderloin, fine red wine (oh, ya're underage, forget it), 'n' the sheilas are extremely good. :lol:

Cheers, Sam

Unc²

• Like 1

Sammy! :yahoo:

So, how did it go with yer exams?

Yer Vulcan is lookin' impressive! Congratulations on a job well done, my mate. I wish ya'd had the Aeroclub 1/48 Vulcan instead of the Airfix 1/72 one to do all this beautiful detail work...

Speakin' of which; I've just discovered the link on yer sig! (Are ya out of this world, Sam?). Sure ya're just 17? :bleh: Chap, where d'ya get all that info from? I was intendin' to do the same detailin' on some sections of the vac-form Aeroclub Vulcan.

(Crikey! Need to create an account first in order to leave a comment on yer blog). Wonder how yer comin' over down here for six months would suit me so that we worked on my Aeroclub Vulcan kit. Tenderloin, fine red wine (oh, ya're underage, forget it), 'n' the sheilas are extremely good. :lol:

Cheers, Sam

Unc²

:D

Thanks for your kind words, I can assure you that I am indeed 17!

In terms of exams, I thoroughly enjoyed the history essays, I found the biology papers comparatively straightforward, chemistry was thorough but again fairly straightforward and then there was physics..... I'm not the only one; everyone else found the second paper difficult and complex with the paper containing many adjoining quiestions (if you got the answer to one of them wrong, that mistake would be carried right through 4 or 5 other questions- not nice :P

The card Vulcan project has been put on the back-burners while this Airfix Vulcan project is going on, but it's still on my shelf- i'm thinking of scrapping the bomb-bay area and actually planning it all out, I had just been tweeking things as I went along- the brass of the 1:72 Vulcan WEM bomb-bay set really showed to me the detail that I should emulate and which the card 1:48 bomb bay doesn't represent at the moment (but more on that later in the year).

I've always wanted to do a 1:72 Vulcan properly, nevermind a 1:48 aeroclub kit! I wouldn't have the space to keep it in my room! (Well maybe hung from the ceiling...) In terms of my research and reference material for both this 1:72 and the 1:48 project, it all started with that trip to Coventry (hence why I'm building XL360) it really inspired me to have a crack at it! Two visits to XL360 allowed me to obtain quite a bit of reference material regarding the exterior and interior. Seeing XH558 at Throckmorton last year and at Doncaster a few days after it was grounded provided me with excess inspiration and reference material.

However, one book in particular was key in providing me with the detail that I hope to replicate with these projects:

The Vulcan Story - by the late Tim Laming. He did a great job in compiling pictures, plans, crew checklists and cross-sectional drawings that exposes the structure of the aircraft and I commend this book to anyone who loves Vulcans.

Other sources included a day trip to the Coventry archives to look at Blue Steel photos still subject to Rolls Royce copyright- preventing replication of them. Websites such as those for XM655 showing 360 degree bomb-bay and cockpit views were essential and my local aerospace museum at Cosford- with Xm598.

I quite like red wine (not in excess!) so I may take up that offer one of these days ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

nevermind a 1:48 aeroclub kit! I wouldn't have the space to keep it in my room! (Well maybe hung from the ceiling...)

However, one book in particular was key in providing me with the detail that I hope to replicate with these projects:

The Vulcan Story - by the late Tim Laming. He did a great job in compiling pictures, plans, crew checklists and cross-sectional drawings that exposes the structure of the aircraft and I commend this book to anyone who loves Vulcans.

Hi there, Sammy! :bye:

How's it goin,' my mate? Well, I haven't got the space to keep my Aeroclub Vulcan kit unbuilt either (actually, I fear whut my better half would do with it if she suddenly discovered the box hidin' in a high shelf inside a wardrobe - or whut would I do to her in case that she threw it away in anger... :fight: ).

While lookin' up for Tim Laming's book I learnt 'bout a lota other books on the Vulcan - an owner's workshop manual 'n' all!

Any progress on yer 1/72 build as of late?

Cheers, Sammy.

Unc²

• Like 1

Some great work going on here. How long did the scribing take? I'm building one of these soon and contemplating scribing it all.

Not as long as I originally thought, to do the basic wing panel lines takes between 1-2 hours per wing piece, including preparation time (drawing on extra panel lines for scibing too).

I've got a history essay to get done right now, but pictures shall be posted today! :)

Thanks

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hiiii! :)

Good news!

The wings, fuselage and tail have all been scribed and sanded down. Oh, I couldn't just post this update without dry-fitting all of the major components together for the first time :P It finally looks like a Vulcan!

DSCN0330.jpg

DSCN0332.jpg

DSCN0333.jpg

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0336.jpg

DSCN0337.jpg

Thanks for having a look,

Sam

• Like 10

Hi Sam,

Great work you are doing my friend you are certainly doing the Vulcan justice !

I will follow along with this one.

Guy

• Like 1

Hi Sam, I've just caught up with this. Great modelling on the Vulcan! The photo-etch work is superb. How you've managed to do all this whilst studying I've no idea :o!

I'll take a seat at the back if that's ok?

:popcorn:

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1