Good morning!

The postman dropped off the photo-etch pieces this morning so I thought I might as well start :)

So, the base kit will be the old Airfix 1:72 Avro Vulcan, with aftermarket bits including:

-Freightdog Resin 201 Series Tailpipes

-White Ensign Models (WEM) Vulcan Interior

-WEM Vulcan Exterior

-WEM Vulcan Bomb Bay

This build will be significant for two reasons; first of all, with AS exams starting in two weeks and proceeding over the next couple of months, it will be something to keep me sane! :P Secondly, it will be the first build where I've already had a go at doing some build-enhancing techniques before and needless to say I shall attempt to use these on this build, these include: using filler to get rid of those nasty gaps, using a scribing tool (Tamiya) to replace the notorious raised panel lines, working with resin aftermarket pieces and finally working with photoetch (I might have thrown myself into the deep end with this one!)

XL360 is my second nearest Vulcan, the closest being Cosford, I have chosen this one because it's preserved (and has served) as a 617 "Dambusters" aircraft, I have also had the pleasure of sitting in the rear cockpit of the aircraft- I therefore have quite a bit of reference material to hand and finally because, unlike the shiny Cosford example, the Coventry Vulcan allows me to have a shot at weathering.

Pre-build photos:

IMG_9404.jpg

IMG_9405.jpg

IMG_9409.jpg

IMG_9410.jpg

IMG_9411.jpg

IMG_9412.jpg

Well, more updates shall follow in due course, don't expect them to be too frequent, unfortunately revision must take precedence over the next few weeks.

Kind regards,

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 9

I couldn't resist having a crack at it! :D

IMG_9413.jpg

IMG_9414.jpg

IMG_9415.jpg

IMG_9416.jpg

IMG_9417.jpg

Note: I've cleaned up and flattened the rear crew seat "swivel mechanisms" (technical term, honest :P ) and they look nicer than the above photo.

Thanks for the kind comments!

Sam

• Like 7

That's a lot of PE you've got there! I have made a couple of these now and with a lot of work it still can be turned into an accurate model.

Good luck with your build I will be following closely.

gazza l

• Like 1

It's such a shame that all that lovely cockpit detail will never be seen.

Ah! All shall be revealed in good time! I assure you it won't be out of sight ;)

Sam

Edited by cathasatail

Note: I was thinking of putting what I've learnt in physics to practice and I thought I might build my own LED circuit- adding LED's to the cockpit to light it up. The circuit could be placed above the nose gear bay, with some kind of access panel around there. I could even include the navigation and landing lights! :D

Sam

• Like 2

Great start. Such a popular kit, even after all these years. When are Airfix going to bless us with a new tool? We sure as heck deserve one. Come on Airfix, play the game!!!

• Like 2

Great start. Such a popular kit, even after all these years. When are Airfix going to bless us with a new tool? We sure as heck deserve one. Come on Airfix, play the game!!!

I couldn't agree more, I think they missed a trick last year-it would have been perfect! If airfix were to do a Vulcan to the same level of detail as their new victor then I doubt they could produce enough to satisfy demand :P it's such a popular aircraft and it would be such a popular kit.

Anyway, fingers crossed for next year :)

Sam

• Like 3

Update:

Pictures to follow tomorrow!

The rear crew seats have been completed, I'm currently using the kit ejection seats as a base, using plasticard to modify them. I've been scratching away at the inside of the fuselage to ensure a clean fit. The bomb bay has also been started, with a bit of modification required to ensure that it also fits as desired. It looks great though :)

Thank you for your patience,

Sam

• Like 1

Hi, me again :winkgrin:

Exams begin near to the end of next week, but until then- I shall try and keep you posted with any updates over the weekend.

Note: Not all of the cockpit panels have been completed. Plenty of detail still to add!

Sam

IMG_9476.jpg

IMG_9481.jpg

-Slightly blurred photo, apologies

IMG_9482.jpg

IMG_9483.jpg

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

• Like 5

Ejection seats:

I've cut and shaped the kit's crude seats, using bluetack to create the cushions. I'll be damned if i'm cutting masking tape to make seatbelts, so i have painted them on (the white upper strap needs some cleaning up). The handles were made from thin brass wire.

IMG_9486.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

IMG_9490.jpg

IMG_9491.jpg

Kind regards,

Sam

• Like 2

If I may be so bold... the painted on belts look awful and, I suspect, will ruin the look of the cockpit. It is your model obviously but if it were mine I would take the time to make some belts out of masking tape or foil.

Ok, I had glued the seats in but i'll replace the belts.

A WIP bomb bay fitting-test, the White Ensign Model PE fit is exceptional, plenty more to add:

(The yellow stripes are strips of masking tape, needing a few more coats of white.)

IMG_9497.jpg

IMG_9498.jpg

Sam

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 4

Sorry Sam - didn't mean the post to be quite as harsh as it actually reads. You are tempting me to go and buy Vulcan no. 4 along with all the PE and resin I can get my hands on but I suspect SWMBO will not be too chuffed!

Don't apologise :) you're 100% right! I've been adding the belts one by one and you are correct, they look much better than the previous mess :P

If you're going to get a Vulcan with all the PE and resin, all I can say is good luck and I hope you're able to get it past SWMBO somehow! On a serious note, the WEM stuff is really superb to work with- very intuitive and easy to bend/construct. The fun part is sandwiching it into the fuselage.

A few test-fits of the engines:

IMG_9506.jpg

IMG_9505.jpg

Edited by cathasatail
  • Like 3