1/48 Kittyhawk SEPECAT Jaguar Gr 1

The Italeri one *may* have been a reissue of the one done by Esci back in the 80's?

Trevor

According to this (don't go in that sub-forum hence how I missed it) it was all new moulds but it appears to have been dropped.

Shame :(

Best winders and 755's I have seen in a long while.

You are still missing a Red RBF flag from the Winders Rocket motor arming key!

Selwyn

Thanks Selwyn, I'll add one at the end when I fix the Snurf (noddy cap) ones

According to this (don't go in that sub-forum hence how I missed it) it was all new moulds but it appears to have been dropped.

Shame :(

Yeah, I like the Jag as well. And I'm disappointed that Italeri dropped there's. But I have hope that Airfix will do a new one, along with the Buccaneer and Tornado.

• Like 1

As pointed out by a mate at Kiwi Modeller the kit incorrectly has a recess at the rear of the speedbrake that shouldn't be there...

Jaguar-GR1-060.jpg

So I decided to to fix it. I made 2 rectangles out of 0.0015" card and glued it in

Jaguar-GR1-061.jpg

The painted with Mr Surfacer 1000 and 1200 and sanded to shape.

Jaguar-GR1-062.jpg

next was the forward gear bays. These were a little to little to small so needed filling with CA and re-scribing

Jaguar-GR1-063.jpg

Onto the tail. The bit in white was supposed to be int he kit, but the bit on the sprue looked nothing like the reference area. I used some evergreen sprue.

Jaguar-GR1-064.jpg

The black is Mr Surfacer 1500 sprayed through my airbrush. On good kits I don't bother with priming ... This one has so much work on it priming is required. The Mr Surfacer 1500 shrinks down really nicely and hasn't filled the surface detail.

Plus I can try the latest fad - black basing (Actually I'm not probably going to bother, I just needed some good primer)

Edited by Calum
  • Like 2

I rejigged the instruments/panels on the instrument panel combing to better reflect the images I had. I also added the RWS indicator (rectangle on the right side). The HUD isn't accurate but it's close enough. The clear part is a piece of a screen protector form a mobile phone.

Jaguar-GR1-065.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-066.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-067.jpg

Next was the front windscreen. It appears to a fraction to wide and a fraction to high where it meets the front fuselage.

Jaguar-GR1-068.jpg

Some sanding and Perfect Plastic Putty and it's looking acceptable

Jaguar-GR1-069.jpg

Maybe, just maybe I might get to paint this thing

• Like 3

- I have two of these in, my stash, including a two seater ( with the center canopy part smashed) I still hesitate going into the job owing to the mods these kits requires to have a good looking Jag, your work is very instructive.....

Thanks gents... The kit is a chore but it's starting look like the Jag I wanted in my cabinet.

Painting time at long last.

Firstly primer, black Mr Surfacer 1500. This goes down really nice and smooth. Doesn't even need rubbing back with micromesh.....

Jaguar-GR1-070.jpg

Next I painted the entire aircraft dark green using Mr Color Lacquers. I was going to mask the camo pattern but many of the images showed a softer edge to the camo, so I decided on some airbrushing practice with my new Iwata 0.2mm airbrush.

Jaguar-GR1-071.jpg

The dark grey is also a Mr Color Lacquer. I love these paints as they go down really nice, even when thinned right down. Plus they dry pretty much straight away so you can handle the model within minutes. I loaded my 0.2mm Iwata with the grey and my 0.3mm Sparmax with the green, That way I could touch up any bits of overspray, or correct the pattern instantly.

Jaguar-GR1-072.jpg

All done.... but the grey is a bit to dark for my taste... That black undercoat is likely the cause... I think I will have to look at redoing the grey at least...

Jaguar-GR1-073.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 6

As I didn't like how dark the grey was I added a little white and redid the grey.

Jaguar-GR1-075.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-076.jpg

I then painted all the parts to match

Jaguar-GR1-074.jpg

Once I was happy I added some darker and lighter splotches to break up the up the uniformity of the finish. Then I painted the anti glare shield NATO black and gun fairings Tamiya Red brown

Jaguar-GR1-077.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-078.jpg

• Like 8

Looking good.

One thing though, I'm pretty sure in inside face of the airbrake should be something like a light aircraft grey rather than the yellow/green primer stuff.

Looking good.

One thing though, I'm pretty sure in inside face of the airbrake should be something like a light aircraft grey rather than the yellow/green primer stuff.

Reading through Mike's thread on the A it was confirmed by several sources that the inside of the airbrake was painted to match the camouflage colours I believe.

• Like 1

Ive been referring to your build a fair bit so far. Its been quite helpful

Glad it's been of some use. Looks like your fuselage is a bit more wibbly-wobbly than mine was. Mine appeared to be a bit flexible initially, but once the various boxes went in, it seemed to firm up somewhat. I remember having to do a bit of work on the lower seam, and the fit of the engine panels was a case of test fit & fettle. Still - you're getting there! ;)

Reading through Mike's thread on the A it was confirmed by several sources that the inside of the airbrake was painted to match the camouflage colours I believe.

Just checked now Im at a PC and Juliens Walkaround thread has it well and truly covered - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/70916-sepecat-jaguar-gr1-gr3/ and looks like you are absolutely correct, be the aircraft in plain grey, grey n green or even Gulf colours (not the blue and orange ones... :))

Around 1/4 of the way down, post #5.

Cheers, I was sure they were grey, but figured Id double check.

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 2

Decided to scratch build a ladder using the helpful plans posted at Britmodeller (here) It's not quite right, I didn't get the angle of the inner verticals right, but it's good enough.

Jaguar-GR1-084.jpg

Appliced a gloss coate of model master gloss. 3 days later some bits are still tacky.... Guess that's the last time I use that stuff.

Once it appeared to have dried I started to apply the Model Alliance decals. After getting a couple on I wasn't happy with how things were going , lots of silvering but some registration issues. Plus the fin flash angles didn't match the rudder angles, I guess they are sized for the Airfix kits. Rather than try the kit decals I figured I'd make some masks for the rundels and fin flash using the silhouette portrait cutter

Jaguar-GR1-085.jpg

Masks on

Jaguar-GR1-086.jpg

Red On first. Red was Gunze red with a couple of drops of Tamiya red brown.

Jaguar-GR1-087.jpg

Then blue. Blue was Tamiya Royal blue wit a drop of black

Jaguar-GR1-088.jpg

I also decided to give it a another gloss coat, this time using Tamiya X22 and Mr Color thinners. Now I've got a decent gloss coat The Masks did pull the paint of the PE lift spoiler though, so that needs to be fixed. Thankfully I could pop the whole part off

Jaguar-GR1-089.jpg

Jaguar-GR1-090.jpg

Edited by Calum
  • Like 7

So as I screwed up the serial number on the right hand side, so I tried individual codes from a Ventura Decals sheet but wasn't happy with those. So I figured why not find out how good or if the Silhouette would cut 8" (approx 4.5mm in 48 scale) codes.

Apparently it does

Jaguar-GR1-091.jpg

Not quite perfect, the X is a little off but good enough for me

Jaguar-GR1-092.jpg

No onto the decals , unfortunately the model alliance sheets only have stencils for a GR 3 but I still have the kit stencils and stencils from the Airfix GR-3 kit. However the registration on the Kittyhawk sheet are crap, unusable IMHO and the Airfix kit is a GR 3, so no GR 1 stencils (yup I' should have realised that). The Ecuadoran option int he GR 3 kit look OK except for the spanish spelling :(

So it's off to try and find a Gr 1 sheet with some stencils. I've found a Xtra decals sheet on eBAy that might do some of the job but now it's a 2 week wait for that to come.

• Like 2

I would like to have a closer look at that portrait cutter. What did it set you back? What do you feed it? How do you train it? Can it have baby portrait cutters that can be adopted out? You have all the time in the world due to the enforced stop!

Regards,

• Like 1

I would like to have a closer look at that portrait cutter. What did it set you back? What do you feed it? How do you train it? Can it have baby portrait cutters that can be adopted out? You have all the time in the world due to the enforced stop!

Regards,

If you bring a six pack I'll show you how it works :D

• Like 1

So it's off to try and find a Gr 1 sheet with some stencils. I've found a Xtra decals sheet on eBAy that might do some of the job but now it's a 2 week wait for that to come.

Was this the X48057 sheet with Hawk and Tornado stencils on too?

I ask as I have that one on order, but then remembered you mentioning a sheet and wondered if there is a different sheet out there?

Was this the X48057 sheet with Hawk and Tornado stencils on too?

I ask as I have that one on order, but then remembered you mentioning a sheet and wondered if there is a different sheet out there?

No that set only has Gr 3 stencils. I ordered 48012

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48012

This sheet has a few stencils, the rescue decals for the nose are the only ones I really need but I'll use the "no step" and most of the others in lieu of the airfix ones . I've started using some of the Airfix stencils from the Gr3 kit. This kit has an Ecuadorian option, the stencils on it are pretty much GR 1 stencils from what I can see. The only issue was that the rescue markings for the nose are either mis spelt or in Spanish. The Airifx decals are very brittle though and the little ones break easily... That said, the big decals that have the walkway look like they are going down OK, they are thick and matt but they do appear to disappear under another clear coat.

My advice (and you already know this) , if you want to build a GR 1 from the Kittyhawk kit then you need to actually get hold of a Airfix GR 1 kit, Or even better get the new revell boxing as the decal sheet on it looks usable. That way you get Pylons, An ECM Pod, Drop tanks and decals because the KH is missing those.

If you're doing a GR 3 the model alliance sheets have you covered there. I actually wish I'd done a GR 3 now. Poor research on my behalf... but I can confidently say I'd be extremely reluctant to buy another KH kit after this experience, it would have to be something I really wanted and a subject not done elsewhere. .