Launching of the USS Puffer (SS-268) complete

I completed the Puffer. Now she’s already for the contest. Picture heavy and as usual comments and critiques welcome.

Steve

FBr2ht.jpg

The actual Puffer

tdmLng.jpg

My rendition of the photo.

5tDmly.jpg

PW8qIJ.jpg

JoviBj.jpg

HPaKiG.jpg

FC3msf.jpg

HjEdVt.jpg

4bQyoR.jpg

ZZh7EM.jpg

LUdIce.jpg

8TVwqb.jpg

• Like 52

I'd say you knocked that one out of the park :clap2:

Tremendous job of drawing all those elements together into a cohesive whole. Love it.

Al

• 4 weeks later...

I do like this launch diorama, it really captures the moment from the famous photo.

I was reading up about these Manitowoc built boats, there's a photo of another boat being launched in an almost identical fashion (USS Robalo) - I had to look hard to spot the difference between this and the USS Puffer launch.

I found the route they took to the high seas must have been quite an expedition - they were towed (in a reduced height masts stripped down configuration) along Lake Michigan down to Chicago, and there entered the river system, presumably under all the many famous downtown lifting bridges and past the skyscrapers, travelled along the Chicago River, Chicago Ship Canal through Chicago's industrial heartland, onto the Illinois river, and then onto the mighty Mississippi, and the long trek all the way down to Louisianna and the Gulf of Mexico to be docked at New Orleans to have the periscopes/masts refitted - wow! that was some towing. There's endless scope for more dioramas along that route!

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1