Airfix Daleks in Manhattan

Found some time to work on Dalek Sec's innards today

The screen grabs that I have show the inside to be a sort of dark metalic grey but seeing as how Sec will be mostly black I used artistic licence and went with gold for more contrast

20160630_133559_zps5qpm9m7o.jpgw

I will go back in and brush paint the details

20160630_133606_zpsgbz0zomi.jpg

I used Alclad pale gold as a base, steel for shading and pale gold mixed with aluminium for the highlight

20160630_133623_zpsirel31gr.jpg

20160630_133649_zpsy6vzcwjm.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk

I exaggerated the contrast as its going to be dark inside once Squidward goes in and I want it to show up

20160630_133710_zps7hv5vvla.jpg

Everything is just tentatively dry fitted here just to get an idea of how it's going to look

20160630_140408_zpsd4rjkkek.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

And from the back

There's going to be filing needed on the panel joins methinks

20160630_135405_zpsp4brmfte.jpg

Not too much more to do inside, just pick out the details of the wiring but outside I've still go to mask the head and prime and also there are a ton of hemispheres that need priming / painting and I'm really not looking forward to that bit.

But I'll get there in the end I'm sure

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 3

The Daleks and the base look awesome.

I wish now I had snabbed this kit when I had the chance.

Bugger.

The guy in the respirator looks a little unfinished though, maybe a bit more shading...

:coolio:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

seem to be struggling with the old mojo I'm afraid but I did a little bit more to the Dalek this morning

I painted the moulded wires that are on the inside of the Dalek Matt black but it looked a little flat so I went over a little bit with dark grey and then again with light grey ( leaving the underlying colours showing through a bit ) to try and give it some definition and add some depth

20160707_112614_zpslpqjkmar.jpg

They looked good in black as the contrast against the gold was very strong but the detail was lost.

The grey has helped the details show but I've lost the contrast

20160707_112628_zpsg99a740p.jpg

Got the head masked and primed and everyhting up to the head is now glued . The open panels are a friction fit so I will easily be able remove them for painting the outsides

20160707_122746_zpss1qwfwoq.jpg

There are gaps where the skirt meets the base and between the panels but I'll fix those when my mojo is up

20160707_122800_zpsdsapxxsv.jpg

20160707_122810_zpsm3eqfzzb.jpg

20160707_122819_zpspscqwzdt.jpg

I airbrushed the end of the eye stalk blue then airbrushed a dot of white and masked with a blob of blue tac before painting everyhting black

20160710_193355_zpsci8fidd2.jpg

I scratchbuilt the gun from aluminium tube and beading wire but this one is just a place holder as it was just to test the concept and I will make 2 slightly more refined ones when I buld the second Dalek as I think this one is a bit bulky

20160710_193439_zpsn3ouen5k.jpg

The kit one is moulded in one piece and is very innacurate

20160710_193504_zpso4d12iza.jpg

The kit part for the arm of the manipulator is bit clunky too

20160710_193539_zpsrqcwyuen.jpg

So seeing as I had the Ali tube out I made a new one

20160710_193449_zpsyilytsfm.jpg

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

I neednt have done much to the interior painting as once Squidward is in place you can't see much of it

20160710_193550_zps35otivlt.jpg

Before I glued them I. I sprayed german grey around the sockets where the hemispheres go on the lower skirt to help them stand out a bit

20160710_193558_zpsabrkoafl.jpg

The top half should be gloss black to match the hemispheres but I didn't think it would look right in scale so I went with satin and just dry brushed a little bit in dark grey to bring out the detail but with hindsight I think the gloss would have worked

20160710_193604_zpsyvgydlda.jpg

He does talk and light up ( I'll do a video tomorrow if I get a chance )

20160710_193616_zpsgnbtbeyx.jpg

EXTERMINATE ! ( unbelievably neither Dalek actually say this )

Managed to chip some paint off one of the tenticles as the vinyl is crap at holding paint

20160710_193635_zpszx6bhetf.jpg

20160710_193638_zpsza7ffg7x.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

And with him on the diorama

20160710_193825_zpsuxtblrju.jpg

20160710_193836_zpsp3rnxxlr.jpg

So one Dalek down and one to go !

It will be a little while before I get back to the Other one though as I have to jump into the TARDIS and go back to 1916 and finish of a DH-2

Pete

• Like 5

This is looking really good. :goodjob:

Might inspire me to dig from the shelf of doom my almost finished copy. I both got both Darlek's built although I did close Sec up though... those panels do fit into a closed skirt with a bit of work. I also got some colours on the base although that wasn't finished either.

I did stall when I attempted to scratch build new gun arms from sprue and staples... never got anything I was happy with and shelved the kit.

The Daleks and the base look awesome.

I wish now I had snabbed this kit when I had the chance.

Bugger.

The guy in the respirator looks a little unfinished though, maybe a bit more shading...

:coolio:

Thanks mate

Its worth keeping an eye out for one as it really is a nice kit and a lot of fun to paint.

Yes the face has a few seams that could do with a bit of filler too lol

Pete

This is looking really good. :goodjob:

Might inspire me to dig from the shelf of doom my almost finished copy. I both got both Darlek's built although I did close Sec up though... those panels do fit into a closed skirt with a bit of work. I also got some colours on the base although that wasn't finished either.

I did stall when I attempted to scratch build new gun arms from sprue and staples... never got anything I was happy with and shelved the kit.

Dig it out and finish It as it makes a great display piece with the daleks on the base.

Closing Sec up must have been a fair bit of work I imagine. Did you have to do a load of filling ?

I tried to use a stiffer wire for the guns but had trouble bending it so went with beading wire and although nice and easy to cut and bend it was very dificult not to bend it out of shape when glueing, I'll try and find something that's a bit more robust when I do the next ones

Pete

• Like 1

Very convincing work on dalek sec.

Cheers bud

Pete

Brilliant Pete. I'mnot really a fan of Who but that's some grade A mogglin' right there.

Thanks mate,

I'm not much of a fan of the current series but I did enjoy the comeback and earlier ones

Pete

• Like 1

I have finally completed the DH-2 and will crack on again with Dalek Caan.

20160722_124942_zpsqhnczwvs.jpg

Hope to get some bench time today, but tomorrow I'm off to the Inlaws with the wife and kids for a week so things will grind to a halt again

Pete

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2019 at 2:21 PM, DalekCheese said:

Did you finish the other one? How tall are the daleks?

unfortunately i didnt get the other one finished but he is in the to do pile and i will get back to him  eventually

they are round about 1/12 scale and i think about 6" tall

Pete