Starfighter and Viper, 1/72.

Thank you guys! I plan about 4-5 more 1/72 Starfighters so expect more in the future :)

Thud4444- I believe some Hasegawa Tornado boxings contain Kormorans and the correct launchers. A lot of the older Italeri/Esci boxings contain them too but they aren't as good as Hasegawa. The only little problem is the Starfighter Kormoran launchers are not available in 1/72 so you have to make your own, not the hardest thing to do however!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys!

Tomoshenko- The canopy is from the Revell kit and tinted with various Tamiya clears. I tried to replicate something like this one: http://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f-16-photos/album37/album20/abk.jpg?m=1371917725. I think it was a mix of orange, yellow, smoke and finally some red to give it a 'darker gold tint'-or something like that :D

So did you tint it by mixing the colours, then spraying the canopy with it, or was it a dip? I'd love to know your technique.

There are fantastic builds by the way. I can't believe these are 1/72.

• Like 1

Hi Supertom, thank you!

I mixed what I thought was the correct Tamiya clears (smoke, yellow, orange and a little red) and sprayed this on with X-20 thinner as it doesn't seem to harm the transparent plastic. The first layer is very light, let that dry and it will give successive layers something to stick too. I just built up the light layers until I was happy with the depth, too much or too thin and it will pool and run but you can just strip that off again with ammonia if that happens. After that has dried, usually overnight, I then dip it in Johnsons clear (run out of the stuff now :() then leave that for a week or so to go off. I usually do it at the start of the build to give it as long a possible to cure. I wouldn't dip the canopy after spraying the Tamiya stuff too soon though as it can react and pool the tint colours, in my experience they do need to cure properly.

I have seen people add little bits of metallic copper and gold into the mix which I'll try sometime, though the metallic pigments may be too coarse.

Hope it helps,

David.

Edited by mirageiv

• 2 weeks later...