1/72 Meng Kayaba Ku-4 "Katsuodori" Ram Jet Fighters

The duck egg green was a little rough so I smoothed it down all over with a fine sanding stick:

P1130020_zpsh4uy6h77.jpg

Next I masked for the yellow stripes on the other one:

P1130021_zpstb8vthmo.jpg

Then the masking for the red fins:

P1130022_zpsivltemx2.jpg

Here are the colours applied:

P1130023_zps0vq5ipww.jpg

Masking removed:

P1130024_zpsv4hh42wh.jpg

P1130025_zpswnl6lqoj.jpg

With gloss coats applied I could then start on the decals. Like the other Meng kit I've build I found the decals very stiff and would not sink into the panel lines even with Daco strong solution, in the end I pushed them in with a blunt knife but they invariably broke with this treatment:

P1130026_zpsjavhhqcu.jpg

It was even a struggle to get them to conform to the curvature on the fuselage:

P1130027_zpsz98st9ij.jpg

So here are all the kit decals applied:

P1130028_zps1it16in8.jpg

I then went hunting in my spares box few a few additional decals. I got as far as applying this Japanese script on one side then decided it didn't look right and removed it:

P1130029_zps5qbalznf.jpg

In the end I just applied serial numbers and a couple of stencils:

P1130030_zpshu5kw03p.jpg

These are now ready for another coat of gloss and a panel line wash which funnily enough is almost where my TB2 is at.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 9

They both look great. I would try hitting the decals with a hairdryer, that sometimes softens them.

Martin

• Like 1

I'd probably plug the hairdryer in and switch it on first .... you may find that the heat works better than just battering them to death with a room temperature BaByliss

Silly man! :chair:

Martin

• Like 1

Looking great with decals on! :clap::worthy:

I'd probably plug the hairdryer in and switch it on first .... you may find that the heat works better than just battering them to death with a room temperature BaByliss

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ciao

• Like 2

Today I have applied a panel line wash and then started on the final assembly stages, adding the rocket boosters and wheels:

P1130045_zps1njnfjyb.jpg

I had painted the guns as a single length of tube to be separated into 3mm lengths when required just prior to assembly:

P1130046_zpsegfsoj1x.jpg

I like how my pitot tubes are looking:

P1130048_zpszkeko1oq.jpg

Finally the guns were installed and the errant fin put back:

P1130049_zpsmpe7s5am.jpg

They are all ready for a coat of matt varnish in the morning, I am trying the Hobby Color varnish for the first time to see if its any better than Vallejo.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 10

Looking very smart Nigel!

Make sure you thin the Mr Hobby Matt thoroughly, as it can come out milky if it's not thinned and stirred enough.

Karl

• Like 1

Just a thought and it maybe that I am being as thick as pig poo, but how was one supposed to land these things without seriously damaging the fuselage?

Martin

• Like 1

Just a thought and it maybe that I am being as thick as pig poo, but how was one supposed to land these things without seriously damaging the fuselage?

Martin

Landing is for wusses!

A real man would crash it into his target when the ammo had been expended!

Karl

• Like 5

Today I got the Galeria varnish on (impressive stuff - I'm a convert) and removed the last of the masking:

P1130051_zpsm7bxhkdm.jpg

Then I finished off the weathering with some pastel chalks. The duck egg green one I'm leaving as factory fresh whereas the other one has seen some action:

P1130052_zpsfvxykzfa.jpg

The final job was to glue the green one onto its trolley with Gator Grip:

P1130053_zpsquhv3l2d.jpg

With that I can declare this build as complete. The RFI can be found here.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 11

Fantastic builds Nigel, ingenious masking too - and as Trevor said, who knew.....?

Cheers

Geoff

• Like 1

Very nice work Nigel - one observation though, and I'm sure you already know, but ramjets don't tend to have compressor fans, as they're very simple engines with only the fuel pump that moves. That's what the V1 used for simplicity and cost, and the catapult gave the bug its forward motion to start the ramjet going, whereas the Kayaba uses those little rocket packs to achieve the same thing and boost it to altitude. The intake is so small though that it'll only be the most intrepid observer that spots them anyway :ninja:

• Like 2