Cannon Spitfire (2) - 1/72 KP Mk.Ib

Thanks gents :D

I'm still troubled by the propeller and spinner; currently I am leaning toward using the DH prop from an Airfix Mk.I/IIa kit (on the left below), not because I am convinced it is more accurate* but at least it will match the other Mk.I's on the shelf:

DSCN4949.jpg

Otherwise I have been fitting all the bits I will accidentally break off later. I pinged the rear-view mirror away somewhere into the ether so made a new one from a bit of scrap plastic card, and gave the canopy framing a coat of black(ish) for the interior colour:

DSCN4950.jpg

So I think that is probably ready for primer now...

Cheers,

Stew

* If anyone wants to stick their neck out I'd be delighted to hear your thoughts/opinions :D

• Like 4

I haven't reached in anger for any of the four kits I have in my stash yet Stew but, judging by your pictures, I would plump for the Airfix prop even if it is only that I am more familiar with them.

It still looks 'right' to me.

Regards

Jim

• Like 2

I'm going to stick my neck out here, Stew,

Sitting in bed and looking through 'Spitfire - The History' and fondling the sprues of one of my AZ new-mold Spitfires (in other words, a normal Saturday morning) and I think that the Airfix spinner has a better shape as it's more pointed.

Simon

(Waiting for the axe to fall.)

• Like 4

Thank you gents; I was inclining that way myself... whether it is just familiarity with the Airfix prop I can't say, and comparison of both propellers/spinners with photographs just proves that compound curves look different depending on the angle from which you view them... but at some point you have to make your choice, and I shall go with the Airfix.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I agree with Simon (and you as well, Stew, you prince of a man) -- the Airfix spinner to me looks exceptionally right, and AZ/KP/Hydra's less so.

• Like 3

I agree with Simon (and you as well, Stew, you prince of a man) -- the Airfix spinner to me looks exceptionally right, and AZ/KP/Hydra's less so.

Then my course is assuredly set, thank you mate :)

Cheers,

Stew

It's a worthy plan if the KP spinner bothers you Cookie; also if you have the Airfix Mk.I/Ia/IIa boxing you can use that to make a Rotol- or Watts-fitted Spitfire and you'll have a DH propeller and spinner spare... :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

I made a bit more progress yesterday evening and this morning, first the primer:

DSCN4958.jpg

... then Phoenix Precision Paint's Sky on the underside, not forgetting the fuselage band and the spinner:

DSCN4969.jpg

... as you can see by the time I remembered to take a picture I had already masked off the area for the black port-wing underside, which I then sprayed with nearly-black:

DSCN4972.jpg

That will need to cure for a while, then I can mask off the undersides and apply the Dark Earth...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

I think the airfix spinner + prop depicts a dehavilland unit where KP is an early rotol unit wich had broader blades and a more blunt spinner (not to be confused with the later rotol units of the mk V wich had a very pointed spinner and more spade like blades)

so both might be the correct shape, they're just not meant to look the same unit imho, and thus it will depend on the actual aircraft your making wich will be correct.

• Like 1

Glad to see this progressing so fast, I would agree from the pictures that the Airfix spinner looks better but I don't have the KP kit in my hands yet for a proper comparison

Thanks Giorgio; I am going with the Airfix prop and spinner as I prefer both - I think it will be one of those things best left up to the conscience of the individual :)

Oooh, that's looking good Stew.

I just got the wings on my KP build, and had a difficult time of it, you make it look easy!

Hey Cookie; was the problem at the lower rear fuselage join? I've had difficulties there both times but assumed it was my cack-handedness at fault :hmmm:

I think the airfix spinner + prop depicts a dehavilland unit where KP is an early rotol unit wich had broader blades and a more blunt spinner (not to be confused with the later rotol units of the mk V wich had a very pointed spinner and more spade like blades)

so both might be the correct shape, they're just not meant to look the same unit imho, and thus it will depend on the actual aircraft your making wich will be correct.

Hi mate, thanks, the KP kit does contain an early type Rotol as well as the later type and the DH prop, so you get three propellers and three spinners in each kit - the one I (almost) used is definitely intended to represent the DH prop and spinner and if the model was not going to sit with a bunch of Airfix Mk.I's I probably would have let it pass :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

That underside looks very fine indeed stew! Smooth work, especially with the black, like that a lot!

Good choice on the spinner, it does look the best one. Especially if it will be sat with its airfix brethren

Rob

• Like 1

Thanks very much Rob: Chocolate warning for the picture ahead btw :D

I got the masking done and applied the Phoenix Precision Paints Dark Earth:

DSCN4995.jpg

Once that has dried properly I can make a start on the Dark Green disruptive pattern...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

I have to admit that I've spent a lot of modelling thought and energy into trying to replicate the look of the Phoenix Dark Earth paint on your Spitfires Stew, it always looks fantastic. My guess is that mine would not come out as well, even if I had the Phoenix paint!

Hey Cookie; was the problem at the lower rear fuselage join? I've had difficulties there both times but assumed it was my cack-handedness at fault :hmmm:

Yes, exactly that bit. The wing fit was very good, but the rear lower fuselage part was very springy. If I clamped it down, I could get the rear edge to fit, but the rest bowed out away from the fuselage. I ended up cutting it off and attaching it separately.

• Like 1

Thanks very much gents :D

...Yes, exactly that bit. The wing fit was very good, but the rear lower fuselage part was very springy. If I clamped it down, I could get the rear edge to fit, but the rest bowed out away from the fuselage. I ended up cutting it off and attaching it separately.

Hmm, same bit as me then, I suppose we could have both been at fault - I did find it more of a problem this time than on the IIb I built last - but perhaps it indicates an issue there, I would like to believe I wasn't entirely responsible for it :lol: - whereabouts did you make the cut on the lower wing?

I got the first coat of disruptive pattern Dark Green applied, it was Phoenix Precision Paints again:

DSCN4998.jpg

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

Thanks Giorgio, they are lovely paints - I sprayed the Dark Earth but brushed the Dark Green on as I can't be bothered with all the necessary masking and I feel I get a tidier job that way.

I had a look at the transfers for the scheme I want to attempt, and found that in addition to being (in my opinion) rather suspect colour-wise the yellow ring for the 25" underwing roundel was very badly off register:

DSCN5002.jpg

I was going to use some Xtradecal roundels anyway as the Battle of Britain Spitfire/Hurricane National Markings set contains a couple of that size but there isn't one with a yellow outer ring for aircraft with the black port wing underside... so I cut a circle out of masking tape and sprayed yellow onto the black wing to use as a base and outline for the roundel when it is appled:

DSCN5008.jpg

... and...

DSCN5009.jpg

Hmm... bit lumpy. I'll have to see how it looks when the transfer is laid on top of it, I think it might need a bit of touching up later.

I applied a second coat of Dark Green and once that had dried removed the masking (with the exception of the canopy masks) and fitted the Airfix prop and spinner:

DSCN5026.jpg

Yep, looking quite Spitfire-ish now serious_nod_smiley_by_mirz123.gif

I've also sprayed the wheels, next I can start on the transfers I think...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

I concur! Good call on the yellow Stew, it looks very 'canary' on my KP transfers as well. The painted background should do the trick nicely.

Hmm, same bit as me then, I suppose we could have both been at fault - I did find it more of a problem this time than on the IIb I built last - but perhaps it indicates an issue there, I would like to believe I wasn't entirely responsible for it :lol: - whereabouts did you make the cut on the lower wing?

I cut it right in line with the trailing edge of the wing. The wing and the rear 'fillet' then both fit nice and flush with the upper fuselage, but left a gap and a step between themselves, which leads me to believe that the engineering of this area is not the best feature of an otherwise delightful kit. Next time, I think I'll make a cut in the same place but not all the way through the plastic so it can act as a bit of a hinge - kind of like drooping the elevators.

• Like 2

Thanks Simon, thanks Rob, hopefully I can get this one wrapped up by the end of the week...

Thanks for that Cookie, I suspect there will be a Vb Trop in my future so I'll keep your method in mind - it is a shame that the area in question is, if not a problem in itself, so easy to make into a problem without due care and attention. Otherwise, as you say, it is a lovely little kit, albeit without quite achieving that easy click-fit construction that the Airfx Mk.I exhibits.

The transfers are another area that could use a bit of attention from the manufacturer; it isn't just that the colours look a bit off but the yellow ring to the underwing roundel looked like someone was playing hoopla with it and had just missed.

Anyway, onwards and upwards :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2