How to replicate the effect on EA-18G canopy

MarkoZG

Could anyone suggest a good method for replicating the holograph effect on EA-18G canopy, as seen on Hasegawa's boxart below?

HE02000-2.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Edited by MarkoZG

Thanks, I am aware of this foil, but I doubt it will conform well to the shape of canopy.

It would be ideal if there would be some kind of special coating which would enable similar effect on plastic.

Or the foil, but extremely flexible and stretchable one that could go over the canopy in one piece uniformly.

I think the camera may have a polarising filter installed, as I get that effect sometimes when I take canopy pics for reviews with one attached. You get a bit of a rainbow effect :pilot:

I have a lot of growler pics downloaded and you dont normally see this. As has been pointed out its the light and how the camera is interpreting it.

I really wish AFV Club would roll out their 1/48 line of ready-tinted canopies to include Hasegawa Hornets kits (and Super Hornets/Growlers).

The F/A-18D one for the HobbyBoss kit looks very convincing to me, but photos on the 'net don't show off the 'soap-bubble' effect so well.

Edited by AngstROM

How about cutting the holograph from your bank/debit card, removing the backing and sticking that to the inside of the canopy? :banghead:

Badder

Thanks guys!

If this is something made only because of the camera, then I won't replicate it.

Anyhow, I got very useful ideas here, especially with this link to pigments.

Thank you all!

The Super Hornet canopy did indeed have a gold coloured coating applied prior to 08. Not sure when this pic dates from, maybe from before, so hence the holographic effect shown. In 2008 all the coatings were removed as they are found to be too fragile and even peeled off in flight

Bruce

Thanks, I am aware of this foil, but I doubt it will conform well to the shape of canopy.

Actually this foil works pretty well. A few years back I tried it on my CONA Digital Super Hornet. If you scroll down and sweep through the actual "fly out" pics you can see the holo effect on the canopy. At that time the syhart decals hadn't been out and I had to do my own decals and colorings for the bird according to the original. Applying the foil is somewhat tricky but manageable.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926703-148-centennial-of-naval-aviation-vfa-122-fa-18f-digital-super-hornet/?hl=digital

Another way to go would be to add a drop of liquid soap to the FUTURE solution and carefully apply it to the canopy.

I tried that when I did my 1/32 interpretation of the final Bavarian Tiger Tornado. Once again, if you scroll down to the actuall roll out pics (waaaaaayyyy down) you can see it some of the detail shots.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961885-132-tornado-ecr-tiger-meet-2011-the-last-one/page-2

In both cases it's only visible from certain angles and under certain light conditions. It's very subtle but looks quite neat in the end.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Thanks, both are very interesting methods. In my eye you got better result with Tornado, as the foil on the F/A-18 appears as if it has some dust particles beneath.

However, to my eye it seems that both methods blurred the canopies slightly, which isn't quite desirable side effect. Could you bring more details about how did you

exactly apply the foil? And did you brush, airbrush or soak the Future to Tornado's canopy?

No worries there about any blurring or milking. That is just my crappy camera and some stupid light effects. Both canopies are absolutely clear apart maybe some stains from my fatty fingers that I could polish away if I only wasn't so lazy. :blush:

About applying the foil: I cut seperate pieces for each section of the canopy and the windscreen, i.e. three in case of a Foxtrott or a Golf Hornet. Each part was slightly bigger than what would be needed to cover the respective piece. You fizzle up one little corner and put that on the outer most part of the section you want to cover and then you slowly but firmly rubb it up on the clear part and gradually work your way all over the piece. When you are done with one section, you carefully cut the excess foil with a sharp knife along the corners and repeat the whole procedure for the next section.

Regarding the method of soap in Future I would not recommend airbrushing or soaking it as whatever is too much will run off the canopy. With future alone that is no problem as it is colorless but once you've added the soap you run danger that the soap will gather only in one place while the Future is running off the part and you end up havingthe rainow effect only along the frame. I carefully brushed it using a very soft and broad brush. I applied two thin layers. The Future usually dries off so fast that it wont run off towards the edges like it might happen in case of soaking or airbrushing. Only thing you have to take care offf is going over with the brush in very slow and soft strokes in order to avoid little bubbles.

Thats basically all there is to it.

Edited by bushande