Eduard P39 1:48

Hey guys I've been working on this p39 for a little while and it's been going well until I've hit this snag. It's a hole where the front wheel bay meets the wing.

I haven't glued it in place and I was wondering if I could have some advice on how to takle this.

Heres a picture,

IMG_20160505_155020_zps1afxmwl8.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Joss

Funny - I built three, one came out with no gap at all, then the next two had the gap you show above. Can't blame the plastic, as one box was the dual combo, and one without the gap was from that box. It must be down to exactly how we put in the cockpit assembly, if I recall correctly the first one was built up inside a fuselage half as I was unsure about the angles and relative positions of the parts. The other two were assembled away from the fuselage because 'I knew what I was doing' which presumably meant I let some small assembly errors creep in.

If the wing is not glued on, I would use some plastic strip to build up that internal bulkhead, it doesn't need much and is relatively easy to trim to the right matching shape

On trick you may want to try is glueing the upper wings to the fuselage halves before fitting the lower wing. It results in a filler-less join at the wing root. The downside is you have to make really sure that you glue the wing bottom half from the middle outwards, and you may have a bit of juggling to do to ensure the wingtips line up properly. However I find trimming the wingtips ten times easier than filling wing roots!

The doors can be made to fit in the closed position too, some complain about the poor fit of these, but careful trimming of the doors makes them fit so well that they were used for paint masks on my builds. It seems that they are bevelled, which fouls the main cockpit part, but it really is a small amount

Hope this help

Les

• Like 3

Thanks Les much appreciated, I thought it was just me as I built one before and the same thing happened. I shall give the plastic strip a go and see what I can do. Do you know if it's a sharp drop into the bay or a gradual curve.

Thanks for the heads up on the wing roots as I hate filling them!

I've heard the canopy fit is abit dodgy as well put I'll do that when I get to it!

Many thanks

Joss

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys I've made abit more progress and have got the paint down. I was going for a sunworn cobra and was wondering if what I've done looks ok?

Any comment and tips welcome!

IMG_20160602_204823_zpsefsulvj2.jpg

Cheers

Joss

• Like 3