Nakajima Ki 27b Otsu (Nate), Hasegawa 1/72

Hi,

Another vintage model from my shelvs, Ki-27b by Hasegawa. I made this model about 1976. Then, in early 80-ties a catastrophy happend - a glass shelf above it collapsed and this was the worst devastated model: broken u/c leg, canopy, even wing etc.... It underwent immediately rapair including new canopy...- BTW the repair was done by my brother since it happend when my collection was in his house for some almost eight dark years when I was not doing models and he informed me about whole accident already after he repaired... Then, sometime in 1990 I made some weathering upgrading model to style of finishing. Recently I cleaned it from dust and made some small tuning mostly with hinomarus which were in bad condition. I added Vallejo matt cover finally.

The painting scheme is of machine of 2 Sq., 246 group JAAF, Homeland defence 1942-3, I followed profile published in book: Munson, K.; "Fighters, attack and training aircraft 1939-45," Blandford, 1969. NB this book and whole Blandford series was a "bible" for my brother and me these years...

Comments welcome and regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

ki27 DSC01681ki27 DSC01679ki27 DSC01680ki27 DSC01678ki27 DSC01677

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 12

A really attractive little plane. Lovely colours. It's good that your brother rescued it, it has had an interesting life :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Especially considering it's hard life, a nice little model, J-W! Like you and your brother, I loved those little Munson books - I still do and I still have them (my favourites are the two on between the wars Fighters and Bombers - they are very well-worn from much looking at).

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!

Without a doubt this one is an authentic and true veteran dealing with all odds in China and Polish skies!!!

I was watching carefully to your nicely done model and was smiling at the nice miracle of surviving that this one has, and was thinking that the model was worked and reworked by two of the most experienced polish modelers. The kit started life with you and resurrected with your brother, then came again you dealing with some cosmetic fixes and is alive more than 25 years after. Nice kit, nice job in both cases, build and rebuild.

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

(...) thinking that the model was worked and reworked by two of the most experienced polish modelers. The kit started life with you and resurrected with your brother, then came again you dealing with some cosmetic fixes and is alive more than 25 years after. Nice kit, nice job in both cases, build and rebuild (...)

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Thank you very much, Luis for being called one "...of the most experienced Polish modellers...". I wouldn't like to argue, whether it's numbers that counts, but in our country there are dozens of kit collectors having hundreds of models already done (and several hundreds in stash :) ).

I remember that horrible day some 30 years ago when I (reading a book on the 1st floor of my home) have heard that strange noise from the ground floor, where the hundreds of JWM's (and mine too) models occupied a triple cabinet 150 cm high with each section containg seven glass (5mm thick) shelves 90cm wide and 60cm deep.

And the one that had broken first was the top one... Just imagine some 150 models - most of them being "one of a kind" - smashed between some 45 kg (yes, a hundred lbs) of broken glass. And before this accident the Ki-27 wasn't standing on the top shelf - she (among other Japanese planes) was not very high above the ground.

It took me almost a year to rebuild these models with Ki-27 being the only one (fortunately) needing a replacement canopy. All others survived :)

And two other sections of my cabinet too...

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 2

Great work. Have two to build.It's a nice uncomplicated kit which looks like a KI 27,and there are plenty of different schemes to choose from throughout it's career.Well done on yours.

• Like 1

Many thanks Gents for nice words on this old and very emotionally important to me model.

Thanks Mike for adding your testimony of this sad event with domino-effect collapsing shelvs. From post of Luis-Alfonso I've learnt, that he had similar catastrophy which demolished his collection. So - such sad things like this happens....

Those days my models were in Mike's house since I was a "young and poor" changing with my wife and kids often flats which, we were renting...The moving in and out were not possible with models. This was from 1984 to 1991 and I was not doing models during all those years . However, instead I was seldomly trying another hobby - painting... But this is different story. I was selling my early models during this time staring with about 150 in '84 and ending with about 70 in mid of 1991, when I took collection to my first own flat and sometime in 1992 I started build models again....However, this was not a happy time due to passing away of our Mother in 1992. My paintings were to sad and models were much more neutral and bringing back good feelings - simply I found a kind of a therapeutic value of modelling in bringing back to life... After 2002 I come back to some painting sharing free time between two kind of hobbies but this is another story....

Thank you very much, Luis for being called one "...of the most experienced Polish modellers...". I wouldn't like to argue, whether it's numbers that counts, but in our country there are dozens of kit collectors having hundreds of models already done (and several hundreds in stash :) ).

Hi Michael and Jerzy:

I always have believed that there is always people that like sing and people who feel that singing is an activity in which the singer is making each tune his own and feel what the writer have thought when he made each song and try to sing according to that...the same is for modelers: There is a huge lot of people who build but people who really feel love for our very cherished past time and hobby are not so a huge quantity. And you and your brother are ones as the last kind of modeler, the ones who can transform a simplequantity of pàrts in a subejct of feeling and joy that can be watched and felt by other modelers easily looking with the eyes of the hearth. THAT is the thing that makes you one of the very best and most experienced polish modelers: the feeling you give and share in each build you do.

Also, I have watched with horror how my little collection of not so good and not too bad finished models have been destroyed in an accident leaving me just without a finished model at this time and even losing some in process builds that I have studied and in which I have invested the time and money dealing with trips to other modeling pals to watch books, taking photocopies and searched for suitable decals to make them the fact that give them life...It was a nearly 30 years of watching and findings to at least recover some 95% of the kits lost.

And feeling the pain and horror you felt when this huge collection as yours was near lost...like have no memory to remember and nearly like losing your memory...is very sad. But fortunately you have had the patience and artistic genius to go ahead with the painful reconstruction and that is the fact that gives so many more added value to those nice and magnificent models JWM is sharing with us.

WE, both you and us are very fortunate as if you haven't had the time and pàtience to do that, all of us have been lost the great achievement and mastery works we have had the pleasure of watching and learning here.

Fortunatelly, Jerzy have been back to modeling after this very hard and long hiatus, thanks to God the genius in him prevailed and after the sad events that have been experiencing both of you here we are:enjoying the masterworks you produced in your now famous "skunk works" !!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso
  • Like 2

I have become a dedicated fan of your works, Jerzy.

Glad to hear you resumed modelling after sad times, and very good to read the rescue story of this one, which is a very fine example of what you do. Great scheme, too.

Well done, sir. :coolio:

Edited by johnny jaguar and the jets
  • Like 2

Many thanks Luis-Alfonso, Vince and Johny.

Luis - defintely we are not the best Polish modellers - even on BM you some Polish collegues who are producing really top class models. In Poland there is also a world class modeller and champion - Andrzej Ziober - have a look at his Mi-6 helicopter, for instance...:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.547652898660160.1073742212.356160371142748&type=1

and here also other examples of his efforts:

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/ziober.htm

So, for me it is just a hobby :) :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Luis - defintely we are not the best Polish modellers - even on BM you some Polish collegues who are producing really top class models. In Poland there is also a world class modeller and champion - Andrzej Ziober - have a look at his Mi-6 helicopter, for instance...:

Hi Jerzy:

Maybe not the best polish modelers, but are two of my friends, and make a job so wonderful and simple that I liked to watch and enjoy and also, with intensive use of Old School techniques, patience and without so much complications have this past time asit really is: A Hobby, and more important: Makes me dream to be back soon to make plastic models again as the time when I have talked a huge lot each time I have had a chance...not to make best in show and as professional as many, just a common person with an interesting hobby.

Thank you for that!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso