Mig-31B/BS Foxhound 1:48 - WHAT? AGAIN?

Thanks Dale - Sio from AMK can take most of the praise for the IP decals, and Eduard's designers can take the props for the side consoles :)

My vote for "903" demo-birde. Otherwise why I print and sent these decal? :popcorn:

And BTW today i'm recieve parcel form HK with my MiG-31 model for fit future decal elements - so our decal 48-044 MiG-31 "Foxhound" will be.

Edited by kotey
  • Like 2

Hi Mike,

Bit late on this one but really enjoyed catching up, the cockpit is especially nice and I think a display scheme will look pretty cool.

Guy

My vote for "903" demo-birde. Otherwise why I print and sent these decal? :popcorn:

And BTW today i'm recieve parcel form HK with my MiG-31 model for fit future decal elements - so our decal 48-044 MiG-31 "Foxhound" will be.

Don't worry Andrey, I'll be doing 903... it would be churlish not to ;)

Glad to hear you've now got your Foxhound - it will help you develop decals for both models, as apart from a few fine parts, the kits are almost identical :)

Thanks Chris :)

Last night I decided to have a play with the bronze nose leg to see if I could fix it, despite it being slightly malformed. No loss if I screwed it up, afterall. :shrug: I chopped off the lower with a cutting wheel chucked in my Dremel, being careful not to cut so far into the stem that I damaged to base of the oleo-scissor. With the thing in two halves, I cleaned up the strut end and drilled a 1.2mm hole down the centre, which generated a LOT of heat, so watch your fingers if you're attempting this fix :lol:

With the hole drilled, I bent out the scissor to allow the lower stub to slide inside the strut like it should, then bent the scissor back into place, filling the gap where it should have been in the first place. There is sufficient length of the narrow pin left to let it stay put, and the oleo-scissor adds extra strength to the joint, so after some epoxy in all the right places, it should be almost as strong as it was. Result! :) You can see the thing in bits in the picture below. The top-most leg is the kit part that I'm in the middle of preparing for paint.

gear3.jpg

After all that, I think I'll have to use the plastic nose gear leg, as that's the strongest of the kit legs, so less likely to get damaged anyway. The current nose gear leg is just too "gritty" and shrunken to be used, but at least it allowed me to experiment with a work-around. If you're in a hurry to press on with your Foxhound, or can't be bothered to send the leg back for a replacement, that's the way to go, and chalk it up to experience. I'm sure Ernie is working on a replacement though :)

• Like 2

Glad to hear you've now got your Foxhound - it will help you develop decals for both models, as apart from a few fine parts, the kits are almost identical :)

And after all dimension this model will prezent to retired pilot of real MiG-31s.

Edited by kotey
  • Like 1

- Excellent demonstration, I keep it in mind as something feasable but I think I will use the one from the kit. I'm about to start the 903 as I expect my AKAN paint arriving soon the replacement main leg for the faulty one Ernie promises me has still to arrive too ..That give me a delay to finish my Su 33, the weathering is done but there are a lot of thing to do before end of game....( It is not an AMK kit......)..

I'm thinking colours at the moment. I've been given a hint by IPMS19 above that Aeroflot Blue might be a good match, but the photos of the AKAN paints I've seen seem a bit dark to me. I was mooching through the various sets on Coastal Craft, and stumbled on set 47321 Modern Russian Display Team set. Now if I was displaying a Mig-31E, it's likely I'd get the display team paint shop to do me a scheme. Feasible? There are two blues in that set, one blue 74137 seems a bit light to me, while the other one Dark Blue 73147 looks about right. Here's the pic from CC's website, although I had to suck it into our webspace because it was a .BMP???!!!:

colour1.jpg

...and here's a web pic of the scheme for a quick comparo:

Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-31E_at_MAKS_2005.jp

Source: Wikipedia

Waddaya think? :hmmm:

• Like 2

Well, as no-one's opined, I've gone ahead and ordered the paints from Martin @ Coastal Craft. Even at the weekend he's answering emails :)

Got the resin wheels painted using the Eduard masks for the hubs, and added the two fins with their rudders slightly offset for a bit of a change. I thought I'd do them pointing in the same direction just for some sport, and no I haven't offset the control column, ok? :tease: My fuselage was ever-so-slightly warped at the joining point with the fin parts, so I've had to do a little fettling on one side to prevent a bit of a gap, but I'm pretty sure that's something that is peculiar to my box, and nothing to worry about. it's dealt with now anyway :)

I'm detail painting the interior of the canopy liners at the moment, which have bright green insulation held in place with rows of cockpit green strips, so all those have to be hand-painted with the trusty W&N series 7. There's some Germetika pink needed too, but I'll add most of that that once I have the clear parts installed, as there's some over-run between them. I also thought I'd add some extra detail to the co-pilot's periscope for gits & shiggles, so drilled out some sections of his little drop-down "screen" inside the cockpit, and put some foil over the reflective lens. I'll add some foil to the back of the mirror on the outside too eventually, but I haven't chosen a shade of black to use for the canopy/spine exterior yet, so will paint it later.

Not much to show for my efforts, so I've not taken any pics yet. I'm also planning on changing the initial hue of the exhausts after a chat with Petr from Special Hobby yesterday, who pointed out some weird green patches on some pics he had. That'll be fun! :lol:

I think I'm going to have to mix myself a bottle of Germetika pink before too long, unless I can find a suitable shade in my myraid paint pots. :hmmm:

• Like 1

- I've come to see a model of a Fouga Magister of the PAF painted with an old HUMBROL 14 "french blue" for,the blue painted parts, I think it could be another solution which could make it. with matt varnish sprayed on I will make a trial on some spare box parts to check....

1_foug13_zpsn0ijtckr.jpg

I'm still not 100% certain which of the two shades in the AKAN set I'll end up using. Looking at the pics, sometimes it looks like a royal blue, others it looks much lighter, as per the Magister above. It's anyone's guess at the moment. Mind you, someone who knows might know :hmmm::dunce:

with their rudders slightly offset for a bit of a change. I thought I'd do them pointing in the same direction just for some sport, and no I haven't offset the control column, ok? :tease:

But have you offset the rudder pedals? :wicked:

• Like 2

Moving swiftly on... I'm making some curtains for the rear-seater's side windows, which everyone has ignored, even the AM guys. A little strip of styrene and some creased up foil painted black(ish). A bit fiddly, but should look good once I've got the creases looking "in scale". :) I'll post a pic when the inner canopy skins are finished. :photo:

Very nice Mike. Enjoyable thread!

Do you know if any company just does 1/48 mig29 seatbelts or am I going to have to waste a cockpit set?

Ummmm... you could try HGW, as they do some nice fabric belts, or the new BM/BSM set from Eduard that I'm using here. Link to review. I'm managing to use most of the sets, apart from the main IPs, which you get some pretty nice decals for anyway :)

Scratch HGW, as they don't do many post WWII seatbelts yet in 1:48. They do have some rather nice wet transfer stencils for our beloved Foxhound though here. I'm hoping to be using these on this model :)

Ordered a set of G-Factor legs before reading this WIP and learning of the NLG oleo & link error. Looks like only the MLG struts will get used then (?!)

Am so looking forwards to AMK's Foxbats.

Great build.

Tony

Brilliant work Mike. Your attention to detail is astounding.

I'm just embarking on the academy mig-29ub,and it too has the pink canopy sealant on it. What colour are you going to use on yours? It almost looks like bubblegum pink to me.

Keep up the good work.

Matt

Edited by S5 modeller

I know this is not the requested paint No. or manufacturer identification but the original Germetic sealant from a MiG-29 with F.S. scale next to it with the nearest colour.

Germetik%202_zps7zm4dwle.jpg

Hope it gives some idea.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor