Mig-31B/BS Foxhound 1:48 - WHAT? AGAIN?

- Magnificent job with your PE exhaust , I've given up for long with this exercice as a money saving measure as my resultS inevitably ended in the trash bin , it was hopeless - My new 31 has just landed 10 minutes ago....

The G-Factor gear has arrived a couple of days ahead of schedule, and I'm torn over the quality TBH. For strength, it's brilliant, and I had to use a Dremel to remove the little pouring lugs, but there are numerous mould-slips and seamlines, some of which are a little tricky to get at. They also haven't even bothered to remove the ejector pin marks from the kit parts, and on the nose gear there has been an element of shrinkage creeping in. It probably won't be seen, but it's annoying. So yeah... a bit disappointed. :shrug:

I've been building up and painting the cockpit while I've been quiet, and have put the instrument panel decals on the main consoles. They're really rather nice! I've added a little shading to the main radar screen on the rear-seater's panel, but other than that they're just as they were applied, and now just need a dot of Klear here & there to bring the dials back to a shine.

gear1.jpg

I foresee much filing and cursing in my near future, plus some hoovering up of bronze dust <_<

• Like 4

The G-Factor gear has arrived a couple of days ahead of schedule, and I'm torn over the quality TBH. For strength, it's brilliant, and I had to use a Dremel to remove the little pouring lugs, but there are numerous mould-slips and seamlines, some of which are a little tricky to get at. They also haven't even bothered to remove the ejector pin marks from the kit parts, and on the nose gear there has been an element of shrinkage creeping in. It probably won't be seen, but it's annoying. So yeah... a bit disappointed. :shrug:

I foresee much filing and cursing in my near future, plus some hoovering up of bronze dust <_<

- I've received my G factor stuff few days ago and I'didn't noticed these bugs until your post ,looking closely on mine there are mostly lack of material on one of the main leg, the seams line are not that important and a few filling will fix it ,some cleaning is required to remove a few moulding sand remains in remote corners. Of course there is some kind of deception owing to the qualities of G Factor product we had been used to.

Their reputation is good, which was why I was surprised. :shrug: Maybe I should have a word? Does anyone have his email address? :)

• Like 1

Hi Mike, I know Ernie and he is a stand up guy. Try this, [email protected] :)

- This is a photo of the faulty part .The defect can be seen on the main leg , the casting sand can be seen too ( white dots ); the photo was taken with an I Phone ;

20160518_082622_resized_zpspwog43v7.jpg

- I have to say that the other parts are flawless as usual -

Sadly, I'm still finding new seams in the most awkward places, and I'm having to fill in some ejector-pin marks that have been copied verbatim. I'm drafting an email to him as I type this :)

Yep - Ernie is sending out a new nose gear leg (I think?), so if you haven't already, I'd drop him a line. I did mention you were also having trouble in my email :)

I did find a neat way to remove some of those hard to get to seam lines though... a very pointed burr in my Dremel at a relatively low speed will take the rough patches off, but you must keep it moving and avoid mowing over the details. it's not a perfect solution, but it'll do for now.

I've hit a bump in the road however, as I seem to have lost my front coaming. At first I thought I'd lost the little N sprue, but after rooting through my bin and finding the empty sprue there, I remembered cutting the parts off and gluing them together, then putting them aside for later painting. Now they're nowhere to be found, and I have done a serious amount of looking. As well as the bin I have hunted everywhere the box has been moved to during construction, and am so far coming up with zero. I'm hoping not to have to throw myself on the mercy of Martin, but it may have to come to that, as I'm rapidly running out of places to look. :hmmm:

Found it! :yahoo:

- To my great relief, I'm happy to see that I'm not alone in our plastic builder community to host some kind of irrespectuous Gremmlin whose main job is to make our precious parts disapear and bringing them back right in front our nose once we at last resign to stop the search........ :winkgrin: ...

• Like 1

- To my great relief, I'm happy to see that I'm not alone in our plastic builder community to host some kind of irrespectuous Gremmlin whose main job is to make our precious parts disapear and bringing them back right in front our nose once we at last resign to stop the search........ :winkgrin: ...

My own fault. It must have fallen out of the box at some point and ended up stuck behind my scanner. There was a tiny bit of damage to the top of the HUD supports, but that's been fixed by cutting the tops off and repairing them with some styrene strip and a couple of those lovely LionRoar PE rivets.

Did you by any chance find it glued to the rest of the model??????

It was not - down the back of the scanner. I think the box might have tipped over at some point :shrug:

• Like 1

Found it! :yahoo:

Glad to hear that ! Keep banging away I'm looking forward to more pictures! :popcorn: Someday I am going to have to figure out photo bucket and start posting my own pics. :banghead:

My own fault. It must have fallen out of the box at some point and ended up stuck behind my scanner. There was a tiny bit of damage to the top of the HUD supports, but that's been fixed by cutting the tops off and repairing them with some styrene strip and a couple of those lovely LionRoar PE rivets.

It was not - down the back of the scanner. I think the box might have tipped over at some point :shrug:

- Your Gremlin is really a funny guy.........

- Your Gremlin is really a funny guy.........

I'd quite like to strangle him, actually ^_^

A few odds & sods of progress, with the kit main instrument panel decals, and Eduard side panels, which needed a little blending in with my chosen cockpit colour. That might sound tricky, but it's really not - just a case of a little paint on a 000 brush, and noodling in all the gaps between the instruments & buttons. 5 minutes' work at best :)

I added some Germetika around the nose gear bay as per my refs, and made up a nice red bottle just because it looked nice ^_^ Doubt it's accurate, but I doubt anyone will see it anyway :shrug:

parts3.jpg

I'm just priming the repaired front coaming for some panzer grey, and thought I'd also do the bronze legs while I was at it, just to see how close to ready they were. Oh, and I gently applied the old Ultimate Primer onto the exhaust cans, which stayed intact, much to my relief :yahoo:

• Like 8

Here's a quick mock-up of the cockpit, where I've tried a few new techniques. I've been erring toward this for a while now, where I treat every assembly as its own separate little model, taking the same care with (for example) the control column as I would as if it was going to be a highly visible part of the model. Lots of little bits of detail painting to bring out the detail, which will hopefully add to the overall look of the model.

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

There are a few touch-ups to be done, but we're getting there :)

• Like 11

Another quick snap of the painted inner exhaust cans. They survived a coat of Ultimate Primer, and subsequent coats of black gloss then metallics. They look quite dotty in the pic, but at 1:1 size they're not looking too bad :)

exhausts3.jpg

• Like 5

I was working on the landing gear and the nose gear bay yesterday, trying to decide whether I'd be able to use the slightly malformed nose gear, and whether the grotty bits would be visible on the finished article. The nose gear bay is holding me up at present, as it's a key component to add before you can install the nose.

I spotted a rectangular hole on the front of the gear leg that didn't marry up with the gear leg door, so broke out the nippers and clipped the kit parts off the sprues so I could orient myself properly. As I built up the parts I realised what had happened. The main strut is split down the centre so that the cranked lower (closer to the wheel) part can be sleeved inside before it is closed up, resulting in more strength to the joint. The oleo scissor-link protrudes from a rectangular hole in the side of the leg afterwards. It seems that Ernie has glued the strut halves together, then slid the lower inside, which stops at the scissor-link, resulting in a leg that is 4mm too long and has an unexplainable hole in the leading face. It would put the whole sit of the aircraft out of line, and is therefore unusable in its current form. I've let Ernie know, but haven't had a reply back yet. My advice at the moment is to hold fire if you're thinking of buying a set until you can be sure you're getting a corrected nose gear leg. You can see the difference below:

gear2.jpg

In other better news, Andrey from begemot has come through with the decals for the display Foxhound, and I have to pass on my thanks to him, as they're not only very good but he really didn't have to. :worthy: He's even included white backing decals to ensure correct opacity :) I'm going to have to follow through with my threat and build the display aircraft now, aren't I? :lol:

decals1.jpg

• Like 5