Mig-31B/BS Foxhound 1:48 - WHAT? AGAIN?

Yes. Again. Well, almost. This build is of the new B/BS variant, which I reviewed the other day here, and I'll be taking a slightly different approach, using some aftermarket from various sources to add a little difference between the two aircraft. I'm also hoping to either paint, or be lucky enough to get a set of markings for the display aircraft in blue/white and black over the standard grey. That was an E, so I'm also going to be looking into the external differences between the two types.

So far the aftermarket is looking like this.

• G-Factor landing gear, as I'm probably going to take it to a few shows and want the gear to survive handling and travel.
  • Eduard resin wheels to depict an aircraft with new tyres.
  • Parts of the Eduard PE set, except for some instrument panels that differed. Kit decals will be used for those that do.
  • HGW Masks because I fancy using some for a change.
  • Resin weapons - Not sure on this yet, as I'll have to check my box for the various Eduard sets. I'll update this section when I know.

I've built up the engine, intake trunk, gear bay and cockpit assemblies so far, in a slightly different configuration than previously to reduce the number of assemblies and with little clean-up of sprue gates where they won't be seen other than cutting them flush. The engines are currenly in the spray booth after a coat of gloss black, and as soon as I can I'll be priming the cockpits and ejection seats for later painting.

Pics when there's something worthwhile to report :)

• Like 10

:lol:

I know you enjoyed the kit.....but you must've REALLY enjoyed it to build another one almost right on the heels of the first. Looking forward to the progress.

The 31 is still on my list of kits to get...but I'm anxiously awaiting the F-14. To the point that I actually passed on a Hasegawa kit for $20!

:lol: I did enjoy it immensely, which I think came across in the text, and now I'm doing it all (mostly) over again, but with a slightly different goal in mind. I've spoken to Andrey at Begemot, and he still needs to get a kit before he can pattern the decals, so he's thinking that it will be late summer or early autumn before the finished decals hit the shelves. Might have to do it all myself! :unsure:

Yes, they're fine and better than 99% of weapons you'd find in the box in most kits, but I kind of fancied using some resin ones (that's assuming I have some), and the resin weapons are quicker to clean up, having only one casting plug and no seams :) A change is as good as a rest ^_^

Pull up a chair and grab a bag of pork-scratchings (popcorn is just so last season dahling)... I hope it'll be as much fun as the last one! ^_^

• Like 1

Nice one mucka, don't blame you for building another considering how much of a joy these kits are. All I need to complete mine is a suitable enamel version of the paint and some seatbelts. Big bugger that she is and you're going to need space for another? Mental!

Cheers for the support folks ^_^ Kev - AKAN do the same acrylic colours in enamels if you're too chicken to try acrylics, although I'm not sure if Martin @ Coastal Craft sells those. Try Ville at Hobby Paint N Stuff - he has a sub-forum here :)

• Like 1

I've just applied the first of the HGW masks to the little angular windows in the blast shield behind the pilot's seat, and noticed that the instructions show them placed on the radar bod's instrument panel between the two cockpits. Something to be aware of when you're using them. PSA over ;)

nice project again!

now with all bells and whistles... :) :)

by the way, where can you get G-Factor stuff in Europe / UK ....???

Edited by exdraken

I got mine from eBay UK... Great Models in the US, IIRC? I wish I'd seen the comment about the probe at the time, but I'm actually not too bothered about missing out, as the kit part is pretty good all told :)

I've just been squirting some 'loominum on the intakes and gear bays. I've gone for a slightly darker shade this time, and done a little bit of shading to mimic the depth of the bays. I just need to re-load primer now, as I've noticed I forgot to spray the nose bay! :doh:

After that I need to put some burned metal on the exhaust inners, and then some grey primer on the cockpit & seats.

I promise to take some pics soon, once I get to a position where I can show some progress. You've seen a lot of it already though, so I'll try and show something different this time around :)

Hi Mike,glad you're doing another one of these.

I've been studying the canopies in your kit review,trying to see if there's a seam line. If there is,can it be removed without ruining the tinted finish?

I'm wondering if it's just a layer of tint on the canopy,or whether the canopy is made entirely of tinted plastic,so any scratches can be polished out?

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun & getting ahead of you,

Andrew

Hi Mike,glad you're doing another one of these.

I've been studying the canopies in your kit review,trying to see if there's a seam line. If there is,can it be removed without ruining the tinted finish?

I'm wondering if it's just a layer of tint on the canopy,or whether the canopy is made entirely of tinted plastic,so any scratches can be polished out?

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun & getting ahead of you,

Andrew

Hi Andrew.

There is no seam line.

The plastic is tinted and thus you can polish away as much as you like and you will not ruin the tint. In any case, we enclosed two canopy sprues, one tinted and one clear.

The tint is more yellow than smoke but its difficult to tell on screens.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

Just so you don't all think I'm sat on my duff waiting for Christmas, here's a quick overall shot of the majority of assemblies that have progressed beyond primer so far. The cockpit is stick in work, but most of the fuselage innards are almost ready to go, save for a couple of armatures that are waiting weathering and detail painting. I decided to use a slightly darker shade of aluminium this time around, as I thought the previous one was a bit bright, and I also have painted a few panels that faded zinc-chromate colour, as per some references. I touched in a few unions and joints with a dab of gold to add a little extra detail, and am hunting about for some more wheel bay photos before I finally close them up and call them done.

parts1.jpg

After the fuselage is closed up and the wings on I'll be turning my attention firmly to the cockpit in anticipation of putting the nose on. A lot of the nose completion relies on when the G-Factor landing gear arrives, which is slated to roll up in just under a fortnight. It might hold me up a bit, but it will give me time to get to grips with the ALPs and try to print out all the logos that Andrey from Begemot kindly lent me. I need to lock down the correct colour for the blue of the scheme, as I already had the main colours squared away, and black & white aren't too hard to sort out ;)

• Like 8

Coming along nicely Mike, the wheel bays look good in that shade of aluminium. I love the panels touched in with zinc chromate and those engine fans look spectacular.

Cheers

John

- Hi Mike,

- It s a pleasure to see ou back on the 31 scene. I'm waiing for mine already posted from Hong Kong. My idea was to built the blue demo bird too, I know by Martin that Begemot was working on this scheme. its releasing this autumn is not what I was expecting but I think I have no other solution but wait..My problems are not the blue panels and black spine but the fin numbers and associated insignas .I'm afraid the kit has to wait for the decals in my stash with the risk that other prirorities may arise till there. We have a sentence which says "il faut battre le fer quand il est chaud" may I try a translation that roughly says" The iron has to be beaten while it is hot " a blacksmith sentence.;My interest in the 31 could vanish.as well....

- Good luck for your new challenge .

Thanks chaps :) My major hold-up at the moment will be the arrival of the gear legs, but I'm sure that time will fly by, and it's only going to hold up the installation of the nose. I've got plenty to be getting on with in the meantime :)