***2 Finished*** Phantoms Phantom(s)

Sourced the decals I need (from the 2nd gen hasegawa) so can call this one ago. Also have the latest tool hasegawa E in the stash which I was saving to do as Nam bird, so could swap to that kit. anyway do like a phantom, not the first one I've built, had two unsuccesful attempts are the revell one, and I have fair few ones in my diecast collection.

7D7C6B73-2ECC-4E9F-8716-521448D8731B_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 5

Scuse my embarrassing ignorance, but what do you mean by hard wing? Non-folding or missing slats or something? :oops:

Scuse my embarrassing ignorance, but what do you mean by hard wing? Non-folding or missing slats or something? :oops:

Hard wing is the one without the leading edge slats.

• Like 1

The hasegawa has arrived, was moaning about using the slatted wing from it, but actually has very fine raised lines and indeed recessed detail, so actually can't say it's much worse than the fujimi hard wing. Did nearly go and buy myself a Revell F for the slatted wing, still might get it, that way I do both nam examples on my decal sheet. And indeed buy another and do the other scheme in hasegawa.....anyway this was as far as I got before I noted the hard wings 48005FB9-9B23-4C2E-B7BB-BDCAFBAA0322_zps will go and paint it grey now

btw lovely phantom plasticsurgeon :)

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Bad news, the fujimi and hasegawas fuselages are quite different in width so the wings can't be swapped. Looks like Ill have to buy the revell after all :(

Still will be carry on with the fujimi, will be using one of nam decals.

Sounds as if you are having the devil's own work getting a suitable Phantom out of all the options Stu :(

Indeed looks like I have no choice but to buy the revell (or build the hasegawa with its shocking cockpit), in no rush. obviusly won't be going in the gallery, but do the mods mind if I persist with the fujimi in nam markings in this thread in the mean time?

I think that you are right about painting this kit. I have a similar problem with a Revell 1/32 Hawk that is red for the "dead sparrows" scheme which I don't want to do. Good luck with the build.

Indeed my assement proved accurate, used the same paint on the cockpit that normally goes on bare plastic a treat , but not this blue stuff, had to removed it with nail polish remover. Will paint it once the whole thing's been primed

08D4F783-AD3C-45B6-B796-746989914F31_zps

Also here how the fujimi nows looks, (if its an issue keeping this in the thread mods I will start a thread in the WIP section)

B890764A-C439-4F9F-9DD8-12DD710FA956_zps

• Like 1

Having done much modelling over the last couple of days, did discover the nose section fitted with a massive step once I'd primed the phantom and given it a base coat, too much to fix with sanding, so I took the whole nose off, and with a bit of sanding refitted it perfectly, even the intakes now for better. Just hoping the underside preice will go back in with superglue and a bit of brute force 842AF549-283F-468E-9CFC-E19751C573B3_zps

• 4 weeks later...

Right not been good news on this front, really was not happy with the paintwork, in the end I attempted to strip it down last week, but it did not strip down well and my temper after the third treatment with the nail polish remover so I was no more, but thanks to a fellow Bmer I have now have a new kit, and hannants are sending me some paint which hopefully I will be happier with DF217F59-0DA9-4E7A-AD8D-9AE7540C4C94_zps

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1