RFI after 13 years. Heller 1/72 Spanish Civil War Bf 109B (1?). OOB

Hello people :bye:

This is my first RFI. I feel strange in putting it here as it is the last model I completed. The thing is, I completed it 13 years ago.

I was in the UK then and I didn't know much about the internet modelling wise.

At the time I relied utterly on my LMS. That was M.G. Sharp Models of Attercliffe Road in Sheffield, the city I was living in then. I had started modelling again for the first time since 1979 as I had become a widower and, well, thought I needed to find something pleasurable and nostalgic of better times upon which to focus my thoughts :)

My first model upon returning to the hobby was an Airfix Mosquito. I have to say, it wasn't easy! Nothing fitted very well and I found myself buying filler for the first time since the age of 13.. I also did the Australian all silver option, meaning, sand, fill, smooth...and repeat. I got there though and it builds into a lovely model doesn't it, not at all bad for an old Airfix?

I had been to Spain in a professional context (1989) and really loved it. I had been introduced to the recent history of Spain, above all, as I went to Barcelona, I became aware of the very recent Spanish Civil War. As time progressed, back in 2003-2006, I researched this from a personal interest point of view, rather than anything to do with work/profession.

I loved the intrigue I found. Clandestine air forces (Russian, German and Italian), aircraft being smuggled in from Mexico, 'Golden Age' art deco passenger aircraft being used as bombers!

Anyway, this little Heller Bf 109 B was about the best I could manage at the time. I know now it might be classified as a B1. I also know this kit isn't 'rivet counter' perfect, but I can tell you, I utterly enjoyed making it. It is a pleasure to build and yes, it is almost 'Shake 'n' Bake'. It goes together so well, extremely little filler is needed and if one is fine with raised panel lines; they don't need to be sanded away.

This is a model of BF 109 B1 6*16 of Legion Condor 2J/88, based at Vittoria, Spain as it would have appeared late March 1937. It is based on a Profile shown on page 130 of 'Jagdwaffe', Luftwaffe Colours; Volume one section 2, 'The Spanish Civil War' by E. Mombeek with J.R. Smith & E.J. Creek. Classic Publications, 1999, ISBN 0-9526867-6-7.

The transparencies are kit parts, absolutely lovely, clear and in three parts.

I have tried to build the Avis/AML/Amodel (all the same) BF-109 B/C/D/V3-4 prototypes and I can honestly say that I feel time is far better spent 'tarting up'/rectifying this Heller kit to the level you desire. The other kits, and the Aeroplast kits, simply don't cut the mustard (this is Britmodeller isn't it? :D).

The model is OOB with the exception of decals. I used the kit round black spots and wing spots/crosses then handpainted numbers and tail cross with the help of Tamiya masking tape cut finely (using slightly lightened Humbrol 33). All colours were enamel. I still have a jar of (useable) grey-green colour from this build! I mixed the grey/green. Why this shade? I have no idea, it seemed right at the time :D.

It is a long time ago, I may have done 6*16 as I was pretty sure it was the first number Bf-109 B To be a real 'B'. I guess it should have the Hamilton propellor, but I just thought; "First use of Bf-109, Spain, anything could and would have happened in war, regularly". I still think that about all wartime aircraft to be honest.

Also, it isn't an 'A', prototype or anything else with long leading edge slats, the Heller kit has the shorter slats, so 6*16 seemed a reasonable compromise.

It is completely brush painted, even the varnish.

I liked the way the Humbrol Matt varnish sealed the decals, and I also liked that the kit roundels didn't silver onto an, essentially, satin coat with no decal solvents (I didn't know they existed).

No weathering - I simply didn't (and don't) know how to do it, and I also think at the time, there may have not been many washes/tints/other trendy things on the market?

Enough chat, here it is, I hope it is bearable, perhaps likeable as a window into what was ok 13 years ago?

Thanks to The Spadgent for encouraging me to post this :)

CIMG2714_zpse1scmbta.jpg

Port view

CIMG2713_zpskxaecpjb.jpg

I forgot, I stole the 'Top Hat' from an RPM Bf-109 E-1 Legion Condor kit.

CIMG2712_zpsxssoorce.jpg

Starboard..hmm, the Humbrol Matt coat went a little white, as seen over the black roundel.

CIMG2709_zps9jnliplo.jpg

Nice big prop :).

I hand painted the canopy. I can see the paint was too thin. Never mind, I was happy at the time.

Thanks for reading

All best regards and happy modelling

Tony

Edited for spelling a friend's moniker incorrectly ;)

Edited by TonyTiger66
  • Like 26

That is very nice indeed Tony. I find the 109 a bit too brutalist looking normally but love the look of the early type.... Odd I know

You have done a cracking job of this and it was great to read what has lead up to the posting of your first RFI! I hope there are many more... Maybe even a WIP 😃

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Tony:

Nice build, I like the way you have worked on this one and the nice hand painted little jewel you did.

I am trying to make something nice as you did here. Liked a lot the endproduct youshared with us here!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Hello again,

Thank you for the very kind comments and likes :) This is a great forum, really encourages a person to carry on and improve with this great hobby.

I hope to learn how to do weathering for my next build, just a little bit if it, and I must also learn how to use the airbrush.

Happy modelling :thanks:

Tony

• Like 3

Very nice and clean work! The Heller kit looks in your build much better then what I've heard about it.,,,

regards

J-W

• Like 1

Nicely done Sir. I have to agree with you about the Heller kit being a much easier build than the Avis/Amodel and AML kits (the AML kit isn't the same as the Avis one though if I remember correctly). It's about time someone produced a decent 1/72 Jumo engined 109 but until then your choice of the Heller one is the way to go.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Oh yes, i remember that kit from a while ago now. I do not know where i have put it by the way! Maybe it was shot down by a small plastic spitfire?

It was a nice kit to build, "shake and cook" indeed, more or less. Good to see yours in a rare version from a history full of intrigue, as you say! :coolio:

• Like 1

Hey Tony.

I have only just seen this. Absolutely brilliant work, I do like that top hat, the lovely clean finish too. 13 years old and not one bit knocked off, very impressive. :D

There are so many hints and tips for weathering on here if that's the way you want to go. I sound like I work for Flory models but their weather washes are great and easy to use. Next step sir is that air brush. I can't stop thinking about that un-opened pot of enamel. Mmmmm lead. Keep up the fine work sir.

John.

• Like 1

Thanks again chaps! I'm surprised by the good feedback! I have always had a soft spot for this one though, it did go together very cleanly and the main thing; it was very relaxing fun. :)

I found the jar of paint I mixed all those years ago today. Maybe it will be ok for one more SCW Bf-109 in 1/72..

Duncan, thanks and you're right, we *really* need decent pre 'E' series, in all scales.

AML caught me out recently; as you said, they had their own kit of a BF-109D a few years ago and, even though typical short run, it was nice. I don't know where mine is (my stash fills a small storage container -yup :( )) so when I saw AML releasing 'Accessory Sets' (odd name) of two kits each: 'B' and 'V3 and 4' I ordered both from Evilbay.

I was expecting the old AML sprues, but they're not. It's the Amodel/Avis kits with some photo-etch and resin (the latter very nice in the 'V3 and V4 boxing). A vac canopy is also present in that boxing. As an aside; the Squadron canopies intended for the Heller kits fit the Avis kits like a dream. Ask me how I know ;).

I was overall, disappointed. As discussed, these Avis kits aren't as easy to make as some reviewers would have one believe. Pictures of built examples on the web show the same issue many times; a very crudely designed and poorly engraved cowl, with really no option with the very badly moulded exhaust stacks than to drill them out and try to fabricate new ones from approx 0.4 mm tube.

Due to the thick, yet brittle plastic, that sounds far more straightforward a procedure than it is.

The whole nose/cowl area needs surgery and the thought of getting the resin prototype cowl top on; well it's a challenge I will rise to, albeit reluctantly.

I forgot to mention that Sword released a really nice limited BF 109 D many years ago in 1/72 with a nicely fitting resin cockpit.

That is also in the container, part built!

Time for Tamiya/Revell/(I'm off Hase at the mo due to too many reissues at very high prices) /Airfix, even the new KP line (AZ) to help us out here...

Thanks again

:thanks:

Best regards and happy modelling

Tony

Edited for spelling.

Edited by TonyTiger66