Dusty Finish on Models (alternative to pigments)

SJLR_1

Hi all, just a quck question: I'm wondering how to get a nice dusty finish (such as on MickE's beautiful Wellington http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001041-148-wellington-1c/?hl=wellington )without using pigments, but buying online is my only option, and I can't find any MiG pigments(I can also take a cheaper brand of pigment, if any) under AUD$15 ( £8) as the nearest model shop is more than 1500km (950mi) away; not really an option! I know you can also airbrush a dusty-looking covering on, but I would need some tips on this before starting.

Any answers welcome!! :)

Edited by SJLR_1

Never tried it but I have been advised that some make up powders can be used to this effect. They come in loads of colours (although I doubt you'll ever find a name on their pallette that matches RAL, FS, RLM or BS lists), usually have their own handy applicators and come in nice flat boxes that are really hard to knock over!

DC

• Like 1

Never tried it but I have been advised that some make up powders can be used to this effect. They come in loads of colours (although I doubt you'll ever find a name on their pallette that matches RAL, FS, RLM or BS lists), usually have their own handy applicators and come in nice flat boxes that are really hard to knock over!

DC

I use ground up artists pastels instead of store bought pigments & they work a treat. I'm sure that you'd find some on Amazon etc.

Thanks guys, I will have a poke around :thumbsup: