1/72 - Kawasaki Ki-61 1 Ko & Ki-61 II Kai by RS Models - Ki-61 1 Ko released - new boxing Ki-61 II Kai in March 2019

Homebee

After the Ki-61 I Hei - short nose variant - (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234982068-172-kawasaki-ki-61-1-hei-new-variant-by-rs-models-released) RS Models is to release a 1/72nd Kawasaki Ki-61 I Ko - kit - ref.92200
Source: http://rsmodels.cz/cs/modely-letadel/plastikove-modely/1-72/92200/ki-61i-ko

q1urwczib0_large.jpg

pa9chm5tai_large.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone!

How does this kit differ from the other Ki-61s before it?

I have Ki-61 1s from Finemolds, Hasegawa and RS Models. What's different about this one?

• Like 1

Hase/FM are less detailed and depict the later variants (Otsu, Hei and Tei) only. This is the first "up to date" kit of the first (Ki-61-I Ko) variant with short nose and four rifle-calibre MGs. In all other details it's identical to the RS 61-I Otsu, Hei and Tei boxings, so my praise does apply to the whole family of RS Ki-61 Is. However the "Ko" boxing is the first I've purchased and the one that stood behind this opinion.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

Michael,

Excellent! That's the sort of information which I think is most valuable when it comes to these new kit announcements.

Too many times I've seen such announcements rendered with no context whatsoever. And when the kit itself is of an otherwise previously addressed subject I'm left wondering whether the new kit is worth the investment. This particular release is an excellent example of that. I'm glad that RS Models is increasing its lineup but was left wondering why it was presenting a new kit of a Ki-61 when there are already so many other "Tony" kits out there. This, especially when those are Ki-61s in this scale done by Hasegawa and Finemolds as opposed to some ancient and obviously needful of a modern treatment release from Frog or a 1960s vintage Airfix, etc.,.

The Aoshima Ki-61 is another case in point. The kit announcement was made but there was no context given. Was it better than the previous renderings? What made the new release worthwhile? Different decal options? Was it significantly less expensive than its competitors? Things like that would make the announcements much more useful.

So, the context you provided is exactly the sort of information needed!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...