My first entry for this GB will be Airfix's near little AV-8a (Harrier GR.1), which I'm building as a Spanish Navy machine flown from 1982. I needed something quick and simple, as I'm neck deep in a lot of complex model projects, and I'd really like to take something from start to finish in under a month!

This kit seems to be just the ticket. The model is well engineered, and suitably detailed from the box. Panel lines are on the heavy side, but after the disappearing act with the panels on Zvezda's Mi-35, this may be a welcome trait. :)

I started gluing and painting major sub-assemblies. Wings, fuselage belly, ejection seat, rocket pod.

IMG_20160503_083421726_zpsdfqnjfej.jpg

The plane will be piloted by a Fujimi Tomcat pilot, who fits pretty well in the cockpit after having his legs bent back a touch, and the lateral portions of his butt shaved down.

Armaments will consist of one rocket pod, one sidewinder, gas bags, gun pods, and a free-fall bomb on the belly pylon. I think the bombs from the Airfix Canberra are the right kind. If not, I'll need to do some scrounging,

• Like 4

Great choice and a good start :thumbsup:

An interesting array of death to be fitted as well. Don't think I've seen such a varied load before on one of these :D

I was concerned about the somewhat spartan cockpit of the model at first, but after dry fitting into the fuselage I realized there is no need for concern, or detail of any sort. With the pilot in there, you can't see diddly squat!

Here he is, sans head, but expressing a can-do attitude via body language :D

IMG_20160506_240442973_HDR_zpsz5ttjdll.j

• Like 6

The pilot figure fills the cockpit well and adds a lot of interest to the overall model in my opinion :pilot:

Thanks, Col.

Major airframe construction completed. Fit has been pretty good, but I used some Mr. Surfacer on the wing joints.

I have not attached the intakes yet because I'm unsure of their interior color. Airfix suggests EDSG, but I always thought white. Any ideas?

IMG_20160508_172702291_zpsa1nrga4y.jpg

• Like 1

Aden pods, nose cone, and intakes are on. Most seams cleaned up (filled with a bit of mr. Surfacer to knock them down a hair), and almost ready for paint. Tomorrow I'll mask and attach the clear bits, and hopefully start painting!!!

I know it doesn't look like much, but I have a good feeling about this kit.

IMG_20160512_225433231_HDR.jpg

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 1

I used Vallejo Sky gray for the topside. Sent on nice enough but us very fragile. Seems looking at it funny can cause scratches to appear. I'll let it cure for a few days. That and a coat of Future may help things. I hope.

IMG_20160514_182813424_HDR.jpg

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 2

Thank you, sir.

I've started the decals tonight. Airfix gives you a great deal of stencils, and they're all excellent. I finished the stencils and began the markings on the ventral side. Adhesion, print clarity, and ruggedness are all top notch. Way to go, airfix!

IMG_20160516_233034148_HDR.jpg

Edited by SoftScience
  • Like 3

Thanks MM.

Does anybody know if these aircraft ever carried a fuel tank on the centerline pylon?

Two things count against this being something that would fly:

1) Lack of space. As the plumbers who have to fit stuff under Harriers will tell you, there's not a lot of space to fit anything larger than a 1000lb dumb bomb on the centreline pylon. Being a vertical landing aircraft doesn't do anything to encourage the idea of putting a fuel tank at it's lowest point.

2) Lack of plumbing. If you did manage to find a tank small enough, you'd probably want to take the fuel it contained to the engine. Alas there are no connections to the centreline pylon that would facilitate this.

However, I've often seen baggage pods (which look fairly similar to small fuel tanks) on the centreline. There's another thread started by Lance B somewhere which ended up discussing how suitable rocket pods were for carrying personal alcohol allowances but spare undies and moustache wax were more likely cared for in a baggage pod.

Cheers,

Kirk

• Like 1