Hasegawa 1/72 Ju88G-6 Nachtjäger

Thank you gents :cheers:

... and thank you Rob... I think smiley_emoticons_borg.gif

I got the RLM76 applied, I need to have a good look at it once it has dried as (despite the appearance in the photo's) I feel the pre-shading still might be a bit over-visible and need toning down a bit more - at least on the underside, the topside will have the blotches of RLM75 applied so will probably be okay:

DSCN5136.jpg

DSCN5136.jpg

So there is definitely some mottling looming in my immediate future...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

Looking very Ju-88-like, Stew. I have a few of the Dragon Ju-88s from when they were still made in Japan, which I am leaving for bit on account of their apparent difficulty in assembling (wing problems, I think).

The pre-shading seems to have worked a treat - looking forward to the mottling!

Cheers,

Alex.

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

The paint finish looks very smooth! The pre-shading will be toned down by the later weathering stages, so I'd say it looks good right now.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Ced, Alex, Jaime,

I got the mottling done in one fell swoop; it's a bit untidy here and there and there were a couple of splats and runs, but I think it is probably as good as I am going to get it. The mottling on the real aircraft I will be representing was smaller, tighter and tidier but I have had to settle for a 'representative mottle' as I lack the skill and patience to replicate the original:

DSCN5138.jpg

I hope that as has proved the be the case before the transfers will draw the eye away from the mottling in any case :lol:

However I'm on holiday next week and will be having a few days in Aberdeen from tomorrow morning :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 11

Thanks very much gents, I was a bit uncertain of it but I do feel better about it now that I had some time away from it; I'm back from work now and it does look a bit better than I remembered...

Jaime, yes, I airbrushed with my rather ancient but trusty Badger 150 with a fine nozzle and needle. The problem with schemes like this is not so much the mottling itself but keeping it more or less consistent in size and density over quite a large area during a fairly prolonged painting session - I'm used to the 150 and know reasonably well how it will perform.

However, if I am ever asked I always advise other people to fix stuff on their models that they are not happy with, on the grounds that they will regret it later if they don't because the bit they don't like is the only bit they will ever see on the model for ever afterwards, and with that in mind I did re-spray the couple of blotches on the port wing that had gone awry...

DSCN5139.jpg

Yes. Better.

Hope you all have a good weekend gents, I need to turn in for an early start tomorrow...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 12

Nice job on the mottles Stew. I'll probably pass you on the road as I'm heading south to Cupar for their model show early, have a good break and we'll be ready to tune in again when you get back.

Duncan B

(I'll wave at all the Buses I pass in case you are on one of them!)

• Like 1

Thanks Duncan, I hope you had a good show?

Thanks Rob, it's not too bad, in any case it will have to do.

Girvan, thanks very much, I have seen some very effective mottling done with thinned paint and a brush but it's not a skill that I am able to imitate; I'm fairly happy with what I can do with the airbrush - this being one of my better efforts - but to be brutally honest it's not a particularly good reproduction of the original aircraft's mottling... however sometimes you just have to admit to yourself that you probably can't do it any better than that and accept what you end up with :)

I've fitted the undercarriage and the 'antlers', and applied the transfers:

DSCN5157.jpg

I'd like to digress for a moment to have a word about the transfers. That word, after some searching to find one that would make it through the swear-filter, is 'horrible'. I bought the Authentic Decals set as a safeguard against the near-legendary stiffness and thickness that Hasegawa transfers are said to exhibit; I have used Authentic Decals before on an Eduard Bf.110 without any recollection of particular issues with them, but these were without doubt the worst transfers that I have ever come across: so prone to disintegration that I had to coat them with decal film to even successfully get them off the backing paper, inclined to fold and/or crumple at the least provocation and exhibiting all the adhesive qualities of a prehistoric Post-It note; when I was able to get them to stick they promptly silvered.

In the end I used the Hasegawa transfers for the underwing crosses and to replace part of one of the fuselage crosses which inexplicably broke up long after being applied and partially fell off. Ironically the Hasegawa transfers performed very well in this instance and I would probably have done myself a favour by simply using them but I particularly wanted to build an aircraft with the spinner spirals which the kit options did not have. The spinner spirals themselves were from an old Aeromaster set for the Fw.190D and were a reminder of how nice, good quality transfers actually look, feel and behave.

Anyway it's done now and I can do little but try to get the transfers to sit flat and stay, after that it will be varnishing, weathering, detail painting and hopefully I can get it finished over the next few days of my remaining leave.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

She looks really nice Stew.

Sorry to hear about your tribulations with the 'horrible' transfers but you seem to have overcome the issues... what a pain!

• Like 1

Those late war Luftwaffe markings with the large areas of unprinted decal film can be prone to showing silvering at the best of times so well done with your perseverance . Your 88 is turning out to be a cracker .

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

I know the pain of badly behaving decals. I'm still recovery from the troubles I've been having with the decals of my Royal Navy Phantom, which is on hold until I have enough courage to get back to it...

But you did a fine job with yours and the model is turning out beautifully. The mottling, as I said before, is really impressively done.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thank you all very much gents; the remaining jobs didn't take as long as I imagined, so I'm calling time on this build now... here's how she ended up:

DSCN5165.jpg

DSCN5178.jpg

More pics in the gallery here.

Thanks very much to Enzo for setting the Group Build up and to V-P and Andy (Smuts) for hosting, and to everyone who passed by and dropped in, it's been a pleasure, as usual.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 14