Hasegawa 1/72 Ju88G-6 Nachtjäger

Thanks gents :cheers:

I made a bit more progress over the weekend... first I fitted the tail-feathers:

DSCN5110.jpg

Then added the belly section with the Quickboost 20mm gun barrels installed - these are nice, I am slightly concerned that their delicacy might be a bit of a liability when handling the model though:

DSCN5111.jpg

I faired the wingtip extensions in (which took longer and was a bigger hassle than I expected) assembled and fitted the engine nacelles to the wings - like the previous Hasegawa kits I bought these contain poly caps so that the propellers can be added after the main construction and painting is done which I appreciate very much - I've noticed some of the recent Airfix kits allow a similar end albeit by a different means. I attached the Quickboost air intakes to the side of the nacelle, they stick out a bit further than I expected but inspection of the kit parts they replace seems to suggest that would have been the same with them:

DSCN5113.jpg

... and later attached the wings to the fuselage - the wingspars fitted through the fuselage gave a nice positive fit to the wings and feels very sturdy:

DSCN5115.jpg

The canopy is dry-fitted to check the fit - actually very good so I will leave it for now to mask the cockpit interior. I painted the canopy in RLM76 to test the WEM paint which was fine and thinned with the Sovereign Hobbies thinner touch-dried in a remarkably short time, so I can give it the overcoat of RLM75 reasonably confident that it will perform as advertised too.

Since then I have started on various sub-assemblies, specifically the exhausts and propellers, and will probably spend most of this week attaching various lumps, bumps and aerials as and when I find them on the myriad sprues that make up the kit...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10

That looks very nice Stew.

I wouldn't worry too much about the guns being damaged; they'll probably be protected by the aerials... :)

• Like 2

Looking good so far Stew.

I looked at a couple pics on the web showing the air intakes and the Quickboost ones do look like they stick out a bit more.

http://users.skynet.be/Emmanuel.Gustin/fgun/ju88g6b-b.jpg

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-88/NJG100/images/BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-88G6-2.NJG100-(W7+OK)-WNr-422134-Ceske-Budejovice-AF-1945-02.jpg

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/LCBW13/Ju88G6-NJG4-(3C+DA)-WrkN622311-FuG240-167f-s.jpg

Could just be the angle of the shots but will let you be the judge for your model.

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

Just found your thread. You've done an excellent job up to now! It's great seeing the model already looking like a Ju 88 :)

I share your approach of building as much as possible in order to minimise the number of filling, filing and sanding phases, and painting as much as possible in one go. I'm trying to do the same with my Ju 88 build.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Nice progress Stew.

Thanks very much Ozzy :)

That looks very nice Stew.

I wouldn't worry too much about the guns being damaged; they'll probably be protected by the aerials... :)

You mean like the 'crumple zone' in cars? Haha yes I fear you might be right there Ced :D

Pleased the paint behaved for you . looks like good spraying weather in Devon for me this week , i hope you have it too.

Thanks mate - the weather up here has been suspiciously good for a couple of weeks, lovely spraying weather but I need it to hold out until the weekend to be of any help to me... :)

Very much looking like a JU88 now stew, nicely done

Rob

Thanks very much Rob :)

Looking good so far Stew.

I looked at a couple pics on the web showing the air intakes and the Quickboost ones do look like they stick out a bit more.

http://users.skynet.be/Emmanuel.Gustin/fgun/ju88g6b-b.jpg

http://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Ju-88/NJG100/images/BW-photo-Junkers-Ju-88G6-2.NJG100-(W7+OK)-WNr-422134-Ceske-Budejovice-AF-1945-02.jpg

http://www.warbirdphotographs.com/LCBW13/Ju88G6-NJG4-(3C+DA)-WrkN622311-FuG240-167f-s.jpg

Could just be the angle of the shots but will let you be the judge for your model.

Thanks Phil, and thanks for the pics - I think you are right. I managed to whip the intakes off in one piece so I'll trim them down a little and reattach them with a less generous amount of space between them and the cowlings :)

Hi Stew,

Just found your thread. You've done an excellent job up to now! It's great seeing the model already looking like a Ju 88 :)

I share your approach of building as much as possible in order to minimise the number of filling, filing and sanding phases, and painting as much as possible in one go. I'm trying to do the same with my Ju 88 build.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks Jaime :) - I also feel that nothing sticks as well as bare plastic and poly cement so fix as much as possible before painting.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

I spent what little modelling time I was able to scrape together this week adding various lumps, bumps, intakes and aerials; I think just about everything is added now apart from the undercarriage, the radar dipoles and the gun to be fitted in the rear canopy mounting:

DSCN5121.jpg

I also built up the undercarriage legs, the tyres and the propellers, and this morning I gave these a base colour spray of RLM02, RLM66 and RLM70 respectively:

DSCN5125.jpg

Hopefully at some point today I will feel energetic and enthusiastic enough to start on the pre-shading... because I certainly can't face it at the moment :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

That, especially the tyres, looks good Stew. Vallejo German Grey?

I hope you gather some mojo for the pre-shading as I'm keen to see if it works better than panel line wash.

• Like 1

That, especially the tyres, looks good Stew. Vallejo German Grey?

I hope you gather some mojo for the pre-shading as I'm keen to see if it works better than panel line wash.

Hi mate, good spot, it is indeed Vallejo German Grey on the tyres, I've since painted in the hubs with my near-black mix and am pretty happy with them. I've also painted the compression strut (is that what it is? The unpainted metal bit that slides into the main gear leg?) in Vallejo Metal Colour Silver and made up and painted the exhaust dampers in Tamiya Dark Iron.

Hope you get your mojo together stew as your pre shading on your last Japanese builds worked an absolute treat, you are very much on form!

Rob

Thanks Rob (and again, Ced)... the pre-shading works well on some colours and less so on others, I think it ought to be okay on the underside but I'm not so sure about the topside as that will have two colours on it. Anyway I got a partial-mojo-resurrection and completed the underside; who'd have thought the old bird had so many panels on it?

DSCN5127.jpg

So hopefully during the week I can get the topside pre-shade done and get things moving a bit...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 8

nice work on the pre shading.

I wish I could do straight lines when I pre shade!

I think it is all done by lazer guided robots.... Or maybe stew IS a lazer guided robot!!

Very clean and precise stew 🤔 TOO clean and precise??

Rob

• Like 2

Thanks gents - I did it with a very thin paint mix and mostly air, so each line has to be gone over several times to build up a proper coating - it makes a long and frankly tedious process considerably longer and more tedious but it does mean that any wavering of the lines (and there is plenty, trust me) tends to even out over the subsequent passes :lol:

Although I was quite knackered after work last night I did get the topside pre-shading done (and I'm sure I don't need to tell you how glad I am to have that particular task behind me now):

DSCN5130.jpg

... so next will be an overall coat of RLM76 Lichtblau :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Arrr the secret is out.....

I'm just too impatient to get the main colours on normally so I "try" to do it one coat....or extra if the first wavy line a bit to wavy!!

I have to give your method a go, least at the moment I'm getting plenty of practice some of those really wiggly camo patterns on nightfighers! :)

• Like 2

She looks a beaut stew (I would still have odds on the robot idea.... But your also far too human for that as well...)

Looking forward to have to preshading goes with the top coats on

Rob

• Like 1