Dragon 1/48 Ju88-G6 Berlin (FUG240) Nachtjager

:popcorn: Got one of these in the loft, so watching with interest.

Come on , get up into the loft , find the 88 , dust it off , bring it down and then start building it for this G/B :winkgrin:

Alistair

• Like 1

Test fitting the top sections of each wing gave a near perfect fit , however withe both wing sections together the fit isnt as good so i first attached the top sections with lashings of Tamiya liquid cement .

P1010730.jpg just top section

Together P1010731.jpg

Top sections attached

P1010732.jpg

The small semi circle locating holes were opend up a little to alow a better fit

P1010734.jpg

before i attached bottom section a test fit of wheel bay to make sure it can go in after wings joined

P1010729.jpg

• Like 2

The X wing has now been fully Luftwaffeinised

P1010749.jpg

No big problems doing the wings this way and i didnt need any filler and best of all hardly any panel line damage . All the gaps are along the leading edge which are easy to fill with a drop of super glue .

have now assembled the main undercarriage for installation later . made the braake lines from lead wire and fixed with aluminum insulation tape

P1010748.jpg

P1010747.jpg

They are undercoated black then given a top coat of modelmaster RLM 02 followed by a wash of army Painter soft tone .

Adap

ted the rear undercarriage with a small brass pin so i can attach the wheel later

P1010751.jpg

I am using some Quickboost Night exhausts into which i added the kit supplied p/e grills

P1010750.jpg

100 lollypop sticks arrived in the post today for the next part of the project !!

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 3

Is there a hint of a planked dispersal site base in the air?

Yep VP this one is going to get a display base and maybe some figures . was going to use a Noys minitures printed base but the lolly sticks only cost £ 1.25 /100 so with some chopping i recon they will work out well and i have enough for 3/4 bases.

• Like 2

Good going man, getting behind with mine, keep getting side-tracked with other stuff (family visitors, grandchildren, etc) but i'll get there!

• Like 1

Hi Alistair,

Superb model building you have here! The model is turning up impressively. The cockpit detailing is especially good :goodjob:

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Thanks Jaime & Davey .

Now somewhere on someones build , i think it was gregs

italeri Junkers Ju-88 C-6 i mentioned we all make assembly mistakes , well i have too . back on post 30 i posted a picture the completed undercarriage assemblies . to be honest i was very pleased with them .

Well i had made a mistake and found out just before a attached them to the wings . The scissor links were the wrong way around . I had them facing backwards while on a 88 they face forwards . What i had done was attach the wrong undercarriage end piece to the top . The only way to fix this was to saw off each end and swap over . i have used pins to strengthen the join .

IMG_0374.jpg

The fix has worked and the engines are now attached so all magor parts now assembled and i am surprised how large this aircraft is in 1/48 with its extended Berlin nose . I will post some pics tonight .

An embarrassed Mottlemaster .

• Like 2

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for the warning on the correct positioning of the scissor links. It's very honest of you to openly mention your mistake and showing us the solution you devised.

The undercarriage assemblies look superb. Why do you chose a black primer? Is it for pre-shading? I noticed you also used it for the cockpit.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Very nice I love it!! This has to be one of my favourite versions of the 88, you're doing such a lovely job with this one, I know the model well!

I really must finish my one, it has the FuG220 "Morgenstern" antenna in the covered cone.

I had really wanted to join this GB but I just have way too much on as it is! So I'll just have to follow yours instead.

• Like 1

Hi Alistair,

Thanks for the warning on the correct positioning of the scissor links. It's very honest of you to openly mention your mistake and showing us the solution you devised.

The undercarriage assemblies look superb. Why do you chose a black primer? Is it for pre-shading? I noticed you also used it for the cockpit.

Cheers

Jaime

Jaime , i felt that if anyone came along in the years to come to look at my build for tips and ideas it is important to warn them of problems and also point out mistakes iv made so they dont do the same .

The black primer adds some depth to the rlm 02 but is a waste of time with a darker color like rlm 66 which is better highlighted with a dry brush of a lighter tone .

Very nice I love it!! This has to be one of my favourite versions of the 88, you're doing such a lovely job with this one, I know the model well!

I really must finish my one, it has the FuG220 "Morgenstern" antenna in the covered cone.

I had really wanted to join this GB but I just have way too much on as it is! So I'll just have to follow yours instead.

Thanks Rich , ill try to make it entertaining ,is your morning star 1/72 or 1/48 ?

Thanxs for the tip of the wings. Can use that in my own build.

Cheers,

It worked very well Arnold as it put all the gaps along the leading edge of tyhe wings which was easy to fill with a little super glue and very little panel line damage .

I have made a start on the base with wooden hard standing. Have used this photo from Noy's Miniatures

noy-13.jpg

got my lolly pop sticks on ebay

First try i cut them into 4 but when looking at the noys picture soon realised they were far to large , more like 1/32 A in picture

To get the scale i am looking for i divided the sticks lengthwise into 3 pieces 35mm long and the divided width wise by 3 so have nine planks out of each strip which 10 together make a 35 x 35 square

P1010754.jpg

done half the cutting just another 50 to do .

P1010756.jpg

P1010755.jpg

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 5

Nice progress, good luck with your lolly sticks. It's going to look fantastic once you've finished.

• Like 1

That looks very good. I have only got one quistion. Why are both ailerons in the down wards position. I always thought that one should be up than the other should be down?!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Nice progress, good luck with your lolly sticks. It's going to look fantastic once you've finished.

Thanks Ozzy ,only another 2 or 3 hours logging .

Looks impressive so far Alistair mate, been messing with the wings and engines on mine, needs some careful assembly.

I agree and its a good kit to use to improve modelling skillss and feels good when it works out well.

Good progress, Alistair. The planking looks good :thumbsup:

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks jaime , i'm going to start a business laying patios

That looks very good. I have only got one quistion. Why are both ailerons in the down wards position. I always thought that one should be up than the other should be down?!

Cheers,

tanks Arnold for spotting that ... now shall i go left or right .... :shutup:

• Like 1

gosh I wish all my decisions were that simple!! :frantic:

I love the base you are building, I'm having ago at something like that myself, have never tried it before. Tell me were thees "wooden" platform any particular size or just made from whatever they could find/scrounge? I know a silly question, but someone had to ask!

• Like 1

gosh I wish all my decisions were that simple!! :frantic:

I love the base you are building, I'm having ago at something like that myself, have never tried it before. Tell me were thees "wooden" platform any particular size or just made from whatever they could find/scrounge? I know a silly question, but someone had to ask!

Rich , we are talking about the Luftwaffe ,they will have had an exact specification and fl number for each plank but i have gone by this simple set of criteria

How can i best fully utilize the timber contained in a Luftwaffe specification lolly stick to produce 10 planks that placed together will form a square so i can reproduce a basket weave pattern and trying to make it that these planks could have been made from the typical pine tree and moved by two men

to be serious i think that these type of hard standings would be made from local materials and to utilize as much wood as possible they would be of differing sizes . just so long as they supported the wheels and didnt damage the tires . I have used planks on many buildig sites and have some experience of how liquid mud will squeeze up between them and form shallow muddy puddles above the planks which im thinking of trying to reproduce but this may be more suited to 1/32 scale

i have made a base for the last 4 G/b's iv done and they add so much to the story that now im loathed not to do one .

• Like 1

you had me going for a while!! being crafty/clever germans anything is possible!

I've runout of planking for mine so I think I may have to investigate in some icecream (paddle-pop) sticks!

Oh yeah mine was or is 1/48th.

DSCF0564_zps79a070d2.jpg

there is still a lot to do on her....one day!

• Like 2