Dragon 1/48 Ju88-G6 Berlin (FUG240) Nachtjager

For my second build which i will be doing consecutively with my Ju88 s-3 to enable painting to take place at same time (to save time ) i have chosen another 88 from low down in the stash pile ,the oldish Dragon Ju88 G-6 .

P1010656.jpg

I understand that this can be a tricky kit to build but i feel forwarned !

I will be using the Aims decal sheet Ju88 G-6 , mistel collection.

P1010659.jpg

P1010661.jpg

P1010660.jpg

I have chosen this one as i have a built Hasegawa Morgenstern and hope to have a more typical G-6 later in the coming months.

have assembled a small selection of resin

P1010658.jpg

P1010658%20-%20Copy.jpg

I have some CMK seats and Quickboost exhausts to come.

I have made use of the "less than 25% built rule" to do some pre preparation on the kit prior to the start on the 7th may.

basically iv removed and cleaned up some of the larger parts , suprising how long this can take

P1010662.jpg

P1010663.jpg

P1010664.jpg

The rest of the parts

P1010657.jpg

Now only the main course to get on the table :)

• Like 8

Great second Choice!!! :wub: It is a great model. I have build a few and there are a few difficulties in it, but nothing serious.

I will watch this with interest. :popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers,

• Like 1

Great second Choice!!! :wub: It is a great model. I have build a few and there are a few difficulties in it, but nothing serious.

I will watch this with interest. :popcorn::popcorn:

Cheers,

The difficulties arn't immediately obvious but when handling the plastic i can sense they are there lurking . this is going to need lots of dry fits to see the way ahead. Arnold , can you remember any cunningly hidden problems ?

Have cleaned off the berlin nose and taped to cockpit and i must say its looking ok . this may all change when cockpit is fully assembled and glued as this is a phenomenon that i seem to come across in most builds i do .

P1010689.jpg

I am surprised that there is a near complete absence of locating pegs. This kit now days would be considered " short run " .

The CMK seat set has molded on harnesses which at this scale i prefer to etch of cloth .They have plenty of depth to them and i shall use Roy Sutherlands tips to make them stand out .

http://barracudacals.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/how-to-paint-resin-seat-with-molded-in.html

The CMK radio operators seat doesnt come with a head rest so i removed the kit part and attached with some Albion Alloys brass tube .

http://barracudacals.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/how-to-paint-resin-seat-with-molded-in.html

P1010694.jpg

Got these for the instrument panel

P1010692.jpg

rather expensive but very well printed .

And this is as far as iv got on the pit

P1010695.jpg

to day im going to give it a coat of black pre shade.

now i better crack on its gone 8.00 and the wife will want her breakfast in bed ;)

• Like 5

From what I can remember the atachment from the front fuselage to the back, including then the fit of the canopie. also have a good look at the wingtips. and the fit of the wing to the fuselage.

do the dry fitting, that will help.

Cheers,

• Like 1

From what I can remember the atachment from the front fuselage to the back, including then the fit of the canopie. also have a good look at the wingtips. and the fit of the wing to the fuselage.

do the dry fitting, that will help.

Cheers,

Thanks Arnold im going to tackle the wing tips tomorrow with a view of getting the wings finished by the end of the coming w/end

Just a small update as i have spent far to long sorting out canopy fit problems on my 88s-3

The parts have had a coat of army painters mat black primer and today a coat of model masters RLM 66

P1010703.jpg

P1010702.jpg

P1010701.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Arnold im going to tackle the wing tips tomorrow with a view of getting the wings finished by the end of the coming w/end

That is the way to go. Then you get a small gap at the front near the wingtips, but that is easier to do than removing the step on top and bottom. before closing the front fuselage, have a look at the fit of the canopie.

Cheers,

Well i didnt tackle the wings , iv tackled the cockpit. Unlike Arnold in his build who has attached the cockpit sides to the fuselage sides to avoid step by wing roots , i have gone per instructions and joined cockpit sides . I have done this so i can test cockpit canopy fit as early as possible . This is to avoid the problems i have had with my Amtech 88 s3 build .

The Dragon instrument panel is pretty poor . It is probably a generic part for all 88 kits . The instrument positions are wrong for the G6 and too small to be able to put the correct decal in the right place.

P1010710%20-%20Copy.jpg

the panel was glossed over and decals applied with micro sol to get them to settle in the deep and small depressions.

Dont forget the chronometer clock on the control stick

P1010711.jpg

i am pleased with how the resin seats have come out and i mixed my own leather for the cushions

P1010712.jpg

A little color applied to the radios but in reality they are nearly all rlm 66.

P1010714.jpg

P1010709.jpg

Oxygen supply done in blue .A little OTT but adds some color

P1010707.jpg

Cockpit was also given a wash in army painters light tone and some highlighting with a silver pencil.

cockpit sides glued with Plastic Weld .

• Like 5

The instrument panel doesn't resemble the C6 version. That it nice and crispy. There are two in the kit. I suspect that the other is for the A4.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Nice cockpit detail, your IP may have knobs and dials in the wrong place but it does look good.

• Like 1

Nice to see how your cockpit is coming together, will be using the colours as a guide to mine. Not at all bothered about the accuracy of the instrument panel and I'll just be washing and dry brushing the interior. I find Games Workshop 'Snakebite Leather' looks OK for.... well, leather :goodjob:

• Like 1

Nice to see how your cockpit is coming together, will be using the colours as a guide to mine. Not at all bothered about the accuracy of the instrument panel and I'll just be washing and dry brushing the interior. I find Games Workshop 'Snakebite Leather' looks OK for.... well, leather :goodjob:

\\you may find that being a C yours is more accurate ,but agree it doesnt make a difference . I mix my own brown now so i dont waste another tin of leather paint , use so little and so rarely most paint dries in the tin also i can alter the mix to avoid getting board withe the same leather colour for year after year , i can switch between horse , cow and crocodile without problem :hypnotised:

• Like 2

Thanks Mick ,its worth updating the seats with resin as the kit supplied ones are rather basic and the seats play such a dominant part of a 88 cockpit.

Going away from the instructions i decided to attach the two clear parts to the fuselage spine before joining the fuselage half's as i could see that sods law would mean one or both would fall inside never to be seen again . To ensure they stayed in place i have used some plastic card . have also added some card tabs to the bottom to increase strength as the plastic is very thin in this area.

P1010720.jpg

Here is a nice close up shot of the fine detail of the tail wheel well . I think Dragon are using the latest hand made clay mould technology

P1010721.jpg

I haven't bothered removing injector marks as this being a night fighter it will be dark and no one will see it :banghead:

The fuselage half's are now joined and i am very pleased with the fit . Only a slight ridge where i have marked with a pen which some light sanding removed so No filler needed so far :)

P1010722.jpg

The Berlin nose is now attached . this is a perfect fit , probably better than the plastic part that comes with the kit.

P1010723.jpg

tonight i will attempt nose to fuselage connection

• Like 6

Coming along nicely, that join could have been a lot worse.

Thanks Ozzy ,compared with the little Amtech s-3 this is falling together. the kit neds to be treated with respect and forward planning as far as possible .

That is comming allong nicely. well done on the join.

Cheers,

Thanks Arniec . I snuck up behind it and took it by suprise and had it glued before it had time to struggle

Hi, nice build, great job on the office

Still a nice kit for its age

Andy

You are right Andy this is a kit that can still hold its own with more moden productions . to be honest i think that haveing a bit more wriggle room with fit compared with a computer desighned kit makes it easier to build . Mine has very little flash and nice quality plastic . the decals are shot but that doesnt matter, Instructions are something to get used to as its easy to miss drilling a hole out etc.

Alistair

• Like 2