1/48 Lysander Mk II - 1960's Hawk version: End of year... end of build.... it's FINISHED !!!

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

10 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Now for heaven's sake step away from the framework and don't dismantle it yet again.

and there was me thinking 'now if only I'd used 0.5mm brass rod instead of 0.8mm' !

apologies for quoting you inside a Martian quote but it is the only way I can post anything in my own thread due to this all kinds of jacked up forum.

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Oh, yes, the model.  Looks superb.  Now for heaven's sake step away from the framework and don't dismantle it yet again.

What he said! Leave it alone whilst some of us are still alive to see the end of this build!

Martian

well, the forum seems to be behaving itself at last, still a bit slow though.

Moving on with this never ending build, I got the vacform greenhouse all trimmed up and fitting over the cage.  I think I'm going to trim that sliding section off though that will leave the forward part of the canopy a little bit short. I'm sure I'll be able to hide or disguise it somehow. - I really want to pose this model with as clear a view into the interior as possible.

PA190001.jpg

Talking of which, while scouting through photo's in the Hayne's manual I found a photo that clearly shows two strangely curved braces over the fuel tank area. It seemed like a good idea to add them.  I'm not sure if they were or were not fitted to the Mk II's but I'm sure no-one will be able to argue the matter so they're going in. However, I need to paint it first so off they go to a ... safe place.

PA220005.jpg

The tail wheel got finished off - I used two scale rivets (from scale hardware) to pose as the towing brackets.

PA200002.jpg

It's still to be fully painted but it looks much better than the 'as supplied' kit part.

PA220003.jpg

I spent a good few hours on Sunday messing about with masking - most of the time ending in nothing. There's a lot of squigglies on the bottom of this beast and I tried all sort of options - starting off with blu-tack, cutting out of styrene, even at one point resorting to making a resin copy of a styrene template that I thought was passable - then ended up going back to masking tape.  All this time I was using the BM walkround photo's as reference.... then I looked at one of the very few photo's I can find of a 28 Sqn Lysander.... scrap this and start again !

PA220004.jpg

As you can see from this photo, there's a lot less squiggles !   Note to self... check references more frequently!  I also noted that the camo pattern on this photo doesn't really match up with any references I have, though I really need to go through them all again to check to make sure.

040d1bf3660d0b73c201764a311dec88.jpg

Once I had that all sorted out I managed to get some dark earth on most things. For some reason the dark earth seemed really difficult to spray... or it was just me.   I omitted to go with pre-shading on this attempt as I always go overkill on the coverage and you can't see it anyway.

PA230007.jpg

As an experiment, after I'd finished spraying the dark earth, I added a few drops of very light grey, diluted the mix down, and then sprayed some random patterns over the dark earth. - None of which can be seen anywhere !  So much for that experiment.

My squiggles are probably a bit more pronounced than those in the photo above, but they're on now so they're staying put!

PA240014.jpg

So I contented myself with adding some tails to the small bombs that will be going on the back end. The kit parts were a bit agricultural so I thinned down some tube which fitted over the fins nicely.  I did actually try to thin the fins down but it was impossible given their size - at least, not without damaging the bombs themselves.

PA230010.jpg

I'm leaving the dark earth for a few days to harden up before I go sticking blu-tack sausages all over the place. Anyways, I need to figure out what the camo pattern should actually be like.  I'm off up north for two days this week, hopefully back for the weekend, then I'm away pretty much all next week. If things go well, I may get the dark green on at the weekend

• Like 15

She looks terrific under some paint hendie.

I was in London over the weekend and stayed in the RAF club on Piccadilly.  I saw this painting by Anthony Cowland, part of an RAF Search and Rescue triptych, with a Lysander displaying her small bomb container and I thought of you:

70011947-210C-4CE6-8F7A-2A5672466745_zps

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 11

Hendie she is looks very nice.... Can't believe you have made her out of chocolate though....

still going above and beyond with the details I see! The paint has really pulled it together and I personally like your squiggles, if your going to do them make sure they can be seen, ones in the real pic are too weak but looks like the painter couldn't be bothered to mask it to get a straight line....

Rob

ah the trials and tribulations of modeling.

On researching the paint scheme for a 28 Sqn Lysander, I found the following photo's (all 28 Sqn as far as I can tell).  The colored rendering on the bottom shows up on several websites, and seems to confirm the scheme on the shot in the second photo down.

The topmost photo is the only view I can find showing the top of the wings and doesn't really match any color schemes I can find anywhere.  To make matters worse, all the schemes I can find simply mirror the pattern from port to starboard (which I think unlikely)

This is further confounded by the 3rd photo down - about the only decent photo I can find of the starboard side. When you look at the pattern distribution on that photo, it's impossible for the pattern on the bottom colored photo to wrap around from port to starboard in that configuration. - All the schemes show dark green on the vertical stabilizer wrapping round form port to starboard, however, on that photo, unless my eyes are deceiving me, it's dark earth (lighter color) wrapping around the fin from starboard to port.

Well, this is the only evidence I have so I'll have to go with it.... somehow

Paint_Scheme.jpg

I guess I'll have to make it up as I go along

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Jessica said:

Perhaps they used the edge of the fin as a demarcation line between the colours? The painting above makes it clear that those thingys you built into the bomb carriers are in fact life rafts.

It's possible Jessica, but I've found at least one clear photo (different squadron) which shows a Mk II with the starboard side as a mirror image of the scheme shown above

3366e29e80facf698a4340e0b0fb44e2.jpg

Life rafts!  Ah... that makes sense

• Like 4

that's also a distinct possibility. 

It does show the dark green at the front wrapping around the cowling nicely - which would be almost impossible given the scheme shown in the colored rendering above.

I think I'm just going to have to mix and match given the lack of definitive evidence.... and rampant confusion from which I am now suffering.

(I just spent 2 hours masking the darned thing)

A chocolate Lizzie for clandestine trips to occupied Belgium.

I have it on good authority that Mr Churchill was partial to

Belgian chocolate after an after dinner cigar. (Probably).

Nice work, Hendie. On the home straight!

guess wot I been up to today then ????

Yup, painting. And to be honest, I'm not so sure it was a good thing.  I had ordered some RAF Dark Green at the same time I got the Dark Earth, and I had never opened the bottle until today. It was certainly a different shade from the dark green I had used before - this time it had a distinct grey tinge about it.  I got out the dark green I had used before and true to form, there was not enough in the bottle to do the job. So I had a choice.... order some more and wait another week or so before I could spray, or use the new stuff and see what happens.

I had already spent a couple of hours masking and had psyched myself up for the job... I was going for it.

Here's a perfect reason I do not like super glue!  Two of my access panels came off with the masking tape.  It's certainly not a death blow, just a PITA.  Some careful gluing should see those parts back in place before too long.

The pattern was the best I could make out based on the photo above.   The color is a bit orf as they say - it is a tad greener in the flesh but the camera hasn't picked it up well at all..

PA250015.jpg

I kept the blu-tack sausages as small a diameter as possible as I wanted to obtain a tight but not sharp demarcation line. It seems to have worked.

This is a bit more like it in terms of color.  There is some slight touch up required but nothing too drastic. The worst is the small area just to the rear of the observers abode, and that will be under the canopy anyway.

PA250016.jpg

T'other side.... I took some artistic license based on the uncertainty principle and took the dark green forward of the cockpit up towards the cowling - that will let me do the wraparound of the cowling later.

PA250017.jpg

The blu-tack did leave a residue from where it was placed. I can't remember if I had that issue before. Hopefully it will disappear under a coat of varnish.

Looking at this photo - I am much happier with the "tapes" on the vertical stabilizer now that they've had a few coats of paint.

PA250018.jpg

The question is.... is the green, ehrrr green enough ?  Initially I thought it was too grey, but it is growing on me. I'm trying to convince myself that in wartime, there were no doubt several different shades going around and they wouldn't be too bothered about what went on the beast at the end of the day.

When I compare it against this.... spitfire & hurricane  the colors don't seem that far away.

It's only had a cursory clean up at the moment. Once the paint has had time to cure I'll get into it with a bit more fervor (there's still remnants of blu-tack hanging on here and there). 

I can also see in the photo above that my masking was slightly out in a few places. i.e. Just forward of the tail I can see that my green squiggle didn't fully cover the brown and there's just a very slight touch of the brown at the bottom showing.  Now I can try to remask and respray, or convince myself that the painter did a sloppy job

Where's all the flying surfaces I hear you ask ?  Well, I didn't do them today - for two reasons. 1) I wanted to get the main fuselage and wings done first, then I can offer up the flying surfaces and make sure the masking aligns properly, which I couldn't do with all the blu-tack and tape covering it all today, and 2) I ran out of blu-tack.  - I have purchased several different brands of the American version but it's not the same. It seems a lot more dense and I can never get it to stick to anything.

• Like 15

Dohhhh

Don't get me started on RAF Dark Green model paints

Melchie advised me to use an Olive Grun from other ranges than Humbrol (might have  been Gunze) rather than Humbrol

I do have  a Valejo Olivegrun which comes closer to my mental image of RAF Dark Green than most others although I have found Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dk Gn to be very close to the hue I imagine

Oh yes you are still making old Lizzie arent you?

And the answer is yes, making a very nice job too

Steve, that is a lovely painting (that Lizzie's green is very close to XF-81 by the way)

Wonderful stuff Hendie, carry on old chap

b

• Like 1

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Don't get me started on RAF Dark Green model paints

Melchie advised me to use an Olive Grun from other ranges than Humbrol (might have  been Gunze) rather than Humbrol

I think the great man recommends Mr Hobby Olive Drab - at least as a specific recommendation for the cold war era dark green - I remember this cos I immediately got myself some......

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Steve, that is a lovely painting (that Lizzie's green is very close to XF-81 by the way)

It is.  The whole triptych is a delight.  One of the panels has this beauty:

B186F516-5BCE-4646-8404-9AA84C7DDBEC_zps

Which I did think about posting on Crisp's ( @Ex-FAAWAFU ) thread with a comment as to the colour that a Sea King really ought to be seen in - but thought better of it :whistle:  It did, however,  bring back memories of Sea Survival drills and sitting inside a one man dinghy floating on the oggin and waiting for someone to think that enough misery had been inflicted.....

Of course the RAF club does have paintings of better looking aircraft on its walls:

A7BBA873-49B1-4A2A-94FC-42B56720DFBF_zps

Sorry hendie.  Drift over.......

• Like 6

The paint job looks very nice, the green does look a bit dark (comparing to my matchbox version done in Humbrol 30!) but hey ho there are so many different shades of aircraft green. My solution is just to photograph everything in black and white and then we can match it to the photo above and debate the shades. :tumble:Overall you are doing a mighty fine job and personally I would be happy with the colours.

Bob

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

B186F516-5BCE-4646-8404-9AA84C7DDBEC_zps

Which I did think about posting on Crisp's ( @Ex-FAAWAFU ) thread with a comment as to the colour that a Sea King really ought to be seen in - but thought better of it :whistle: 

Just as well you didn't; his rivets are completely wrong.... ;-)

Nice painting, though from my recollection of sea drills, the poor sap on the right doesn't look cold, wet or sea sick enough to be strictly accurate.  And what exactly is that Stovie doing converting fuel to noise?  (Not the Nimbat; they were always most welcome in SAROps; the thing on the right of Dinghy-Boy's head)?  If I'd been flying the Sea King and some jet jockey turned up to ponce about being noisy at low level and drowning out the winchman's con, I'd have been issuing a pointed Foxtrot Oscar on Guard.

As for the One True Colour, Westlands have built over 340 Sea Kings, including 19 x HAR 3 and 6 x HAR 3a.  25 / 340 doth not a majority make, even for a barrister.

P.S. Chocolate Lizzie looking most delicious.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 3

Grimrod wouldn't have been that low neither, a. for deconfliction purposes and b. for long range comms purposes. Having said that, it looks a tad inshore for a Nimrod to be in the picture.

Your bent wing hover bird is starting to look really good Hendie.

• Like 1

Takes more than an apology to get a good thread back on the rails Steve

Two greys on a Jag became one of my all-time favourites last year

No doubt we could get Debs in to discuss the Nimmy too,oops yes we did

:)

I have found that bluetak residue can sometimes be lifted off with another piece of bluetak, but have also never had very good result with whitetak when sausaging

Blue rules!

• Like 1

Nice masking, Hendie.

The green? looks good enough to me.

If you look at the painting above posted by Fritag

then there are various shades of green on that Lizzie.

How about some overspray with the green you had from before?

Call it weathering, it may look better to you, maybe try it on

a scrap piece first?

Would something like kitchen spray remove the Blutak residue?