1/48 Lysander Mk II - 1960's Hawk version: End of year... end of build.... it's FINISHED !!!

Good heavens with all that intricate brasswork it's looking like something befitting Jules Verne!

Nailed it Tom. I reckon at this point hendie could equally as well veer into a steampunk Sci Fi build as continue with the Lysander :)

• Like 3

This is quickly turning into another spectacular build. I would imagine quite a lot will be visible through that big greenhouse canopy, the most obvious of course being the serupticiously seruptish quietly corrected frame.....

Ian

• Like 2

Nailed it Tom. I reckon at this point hendie could equally as well veer into a steampunk Sci Fi build as continue with the Lysander :)

y'know, I may just have a good long hard think on that.... I'm definitely struggling to think of another aircraft to model.

This is quickly turning into another spectacular build. I would imagine quite a lot will be visible through that big greenhouse canopy, the most obvious of course being the serupticiously seruptish quietly corrected frame.....

Ian

I think you were trying to say cerip syrup secretly adjusted.

• Like 1

It was time to see just how much would be visible when this is all together.

It doesn't look too bad, though on the 1:1 the center portion between the driver and passenger doesn't appear to be blocked off the way the etch has it. However it looks as though at least I'll be able to see some of the work.

P6050001.JPG

Same on the port side. Neither the kit, nor the etch provide the horizontal "shelf around the pilots area - you can see it there for the gunner/navigators position. I may have a go at making my own later.

P6050002.JPG

I figured it was about time to get moving on this and wanted to throw some paint on it to see how it looked, but first, I needed to add some more cross bracing - here I have added a section of rod and some brass angle, just forward of the navigators position. Browsing through the Haynes manual gave me the idea to add these - there's also an inverted "V" of rod to be added, then the fuel tank will sit just forward of that.

P6050003.JPG

Before priming the inside of the kit, I wanted to get the steps cut out - initially I used the kit position *then* checked my references - of course, it was in the wrong position, so I recut another using the same heated tube that I used previously. This step also appears to be a bit larger (in height) than the others so when the hot tube was in position I just moved it upwards slightly against the fuselage to create the elongated step. The first one should be easy enough to fill in.

P6050004.JPG

I added some boxes and whatnot to the inside of the fuselage to busy it up a tad and also to hide the steps that I just cut into the sides. (forgot to take any photo's)

Then it was airbrush out and I began squirting primer at anything that didn't move... even doing the kits original engine just in case I decide to use any of it later.

The undercarriage needs a fair bit of work to bring it up to scratch but the primer certainly helps to see what work is needed.

P6050007.JPG

I added some bits of styrene tube here and there to give the etch a more three dimensional appearance. Still a ways to go here but I'm liking the effect I'm beginning to achieve. Picking out the details in paint is going to be a complete nightmare though

P6050006.JPG

My last bodged bit for the weekend was a go at the fuel tank. I started with the kit part - which was just completely square. I sanded the sides to make it look something like the references in the photo's. My intention was to get the general shape with the kit part, then sheet it in styrene.

P6050008.JPG

... but I didn't get too far before I thought I may as well try brass... heck... everything else so far has been in brass... why not? So I cut a strip of 0.005" brass sheet, folded it up, then cut some styrene side panels - cos they will definitely never be seen.

P6050009.JPG

styrene shoved in place and held with liquid nails - I am starting to like the liquid nails adhesive. It seems to have decent strength, and you have time to position things before it starts going off. Of course, you really have to leave it overnight to get the best cure strength but that's a small price to pay when measured against all the frustration encountered by etch and cyano glue.

P6050010.JPG

Then last dry fit for the weekend. There's still a few straps to be added to the fuel tank, but I'm happy with it so far. Though it will never be seen unless I cut out that center section of the coaming you can see back up in the first & second photo's of this post.

P6050011.JPG

• Like 14

yeah, like he says relentless

but what a good way to be so

love it primered

:)

Looks as if some of us need to get a sight of this Liquid Nails stuff

Just so I know what to look for in 'our' shops

• Like 2

Is your Liquid Nails the white (PVA) glue type or the chemical/smelly (evo-stik) type? I've used both but I think they only sell the white one now in the UK.

it's the whiteish type. I took a photo of it last night and will upload it when I get a chance so folks know what I am talking about

• Like 1

I reckon that this build could end up out shining your Wessex, no pressure or anything Hendie.

Martin

• Like 1

I reckon that this build could end up out shining your Wessex, no pressure or anything Hendie.

Martin

Sorry Martin, I don't think anything else I build will outshine the Wessex. I am enjoying the challenge of this build though. I like the fact that it's an old 1960's kit, a bit basic in some respects but leaves plenty of scope for scratch building, - the internal framework was one of the things that drew me to the kit.

I could have ( and almost did on more than one occasion) bought the Gavia or Eduard kits with all the bells and whistles and that needed to be done was stick all the bits together... but where's the fun in that ?

• Like 2

thanks Kev, I'm sure this will be a prolonged thread - I seem to keep coming up with more and more ideas to discard yet more pieces of the original kit (without any real back-up plan on how I am going to replace them!)

• Like 2

Crikey!

A lot less of that old Hawk Lizzie than the last time I peeked in I must say!

By the time you're done all that'll be left will be the wheel pants and a few square inches of fuselage. :hmmm:

Crack on!

• Like 1

Looks as if some of us need to get a sight of this Liquid Nails stuff

Just so I know what to look for in 'our' shops

Here ya go Bill, one squishy tube of liquid nails. I'm sure they sold something very similar back in the UK - even the name may have been identical (I can't remember that far back now). It certainly seems to have held up on the etch and nothing has fallen off so far despite my usual cack-handed handling methods. I think I shall be using it again.

P6060005.JPG

In other news... I've been on a bit of an adventure, and by adventure I mean making mistake after mistake after mistake, then doing things wrong again. - but I think I am finally catching up.

One thing that did go well was adding the straps to the fuel tank. For this I reverted back to superglue and for once the darn stuff actually worked.

P6060001.JPG

When you start throwing away bits of kit and replacing it with etch and scratch built components, you can never do enough dry fitting. One of the etch sets I have came with the scalloped framework that fits around the turtle deck. The etch was reasonably easy to get into place and just required the tiniest touch of filing to make it all fit together. Considering some of the etch is intended for the Gavia/Eduard kit, I am finding that it fits this Hawk kit surprisingly well. A case in point is the rear bulkhead shown here. All that was required was a smidgen off the top radius to flatten it down a touch.

P6060003.JPG

Then with the fuselage halves together, it looks quite convincing. However, I will not be fitting it until I absolutely have to as if I fit it now I am guaranteed to bend, deform, or otherwise damage said bulkhead.

P6060004.JPG

Now I come to the part where I have effectively wasted a few nights of this week because of my own stupidity.

Both of the etch sets I have come with seats for the rear gunner/navigator position. Both sets are manufactured by Eduard, yet both seats have different shapes! Well, I searched and searched and couldn't find any decent photo's of the rear position... in the end I decided just to go for it. I looked at both seats and decided that one didn't really look very seat-like. So, I chose the seat I liked, applied some heat to the brass with my soldering iron, then burnished the brass into a vaguely seat looking thing.... I was quite pleased with the result.

P6060006.JPG

Then I thought that it didn't look right, so I chopped the other seat out from the etch fret, applied some heat and started burnishing. The instruction sheet that came with the etch wasn't the most informative so I took my best shot....

Okay I thought, this one looks a bit better.

P6080007.JPG

So it was all soldered up into the support framework - looks easy - but it took loads of dry fits to get the location right in respect to the cowling that goes around the rear position.

P6080008.JPG

I even got as far as fitting it to the internal framework. Very pleased with myself I was.... very pleased. - this was the end result of about two evenings work.

P6080009.JPG

Then I remembered I had more reference material. So far I have amassed:

• Profile 159: Westland Lysander
  • the Haynes manual on the Westland Lysander
  • Flypast spotlight on the Westland Lysander
  • 28 Sqn Lysanders
  • Lysanders in India
  • 4+ publications Westland Lysander

... and a few other minor publications (I think). To be honest most of them aren't much use when it comes to reference photo's. However, I was browsing through them last night when I got to the 4+ book (the last one I looked at!) and what do you know ? It had just the photo I was looking for concerning the rear position. I actually had the right seat !!!! But I had fitted it erse aboot face as they say!

Pillock I said to myself, as well as a few other choice phrases.

It was entirely my own fault. I had all the reference material - but it was upstairs on the computer, and I work downstairs in dingley dell. I really must get a laptop for downstairs.

Long story short longer... off came the seat. It was flattened out again, then burnished to produce the curves in the correct buttock facing direction.

Then the whole shebang was refitted to the internal structure (again).

P6090003.JPG

I now know that the support for the seat is entirely fictional but it looked okay, and since you'll only ever be able to view it from above, I was content to stick with it.... but I will be checking my references much more frequently in the future!

After all that kerfuffle, I ended this evening on a slightly brighter note. As you are all no doubt aware, I am not particularly enamored with etch - even more so when flat etch is supposed to be representing round thingies. It just never looks right (imho)

Eduard very thoughtfully supply a hand wheel for the drivers seat to raise the seat up and down. Strangely they completely neglected to add another hand wheel for adjusting the tail plane - and it sits in almost the same position on the other side of the drivers seat!

So I had a go at making one...

P6090001.JPG

... and it was so successful, I had a go at making another! - I used brass rod wrapped tightly around a tube a couple of times, then snipped through the loops to give me the basic shape. ALmost a closed "C" shape.

I then used a long piece of rod pushed through the opening of the "C until it touched the other side then dabbed just the smallest amount of solder I could get away with to hold it in position. The other two cross members of the wheel were then added - yeah, that was much more fun!

P6090004.JPG

However, I am pleased with the result. Lastly, I added the shaft for each wheel - as this will give me an easier option for mounting the wheel

P6090005.JPG

what next I wonder ???

• Like 7

You know how much I admire flat masquerading as round when it comes to etch Hendie so all I can say here is

Nice

The bulkhead however is a perfect example of etch in play

The Lizzie really is going to be another Hendie tour-de-force

• Like 1