1/48 Lysander Mk II - 1960's Hawk version: End of year... end of build.... it's FINISHED !!!

A masterclass in rational thought as always Hendie. Each instalment contains something good to squirrel away; I used your cowling-cutting methodology on a Meteor nose to great effect during the week so am much obliged to you.

Tony

• Like 1

Splendid. Good work on those lights. Nice and informative tutorial, and made for an enjoyable Sunday morning read with a hot cup of tea and some boiled eggs :thumbsup:

As for the covers, crash or vac-moulded acetate? I originally thought of punched out acetate disks via punch and die, but then realised they are concave, moulded into the undercarriage.

• Like 1

Hendie that's some cracking work. I can believe how much you put into these builds, probably more effort in the one wheel than in most of my builds....

Very enjoyable to tag along with and watch.

Rob

• Like 1

As for the covers, crash or vac-moulded acetate? I originally thought of punched out acetate disks via punch and die, but then realised they are concave, moulded into the undercarriage.

I'm not so sure they are concave - if you look at photo's of the u/c side on, the front edge of the spats are very flat. I think the covers on the 1:1 may just be slightly rolled, and not fully concave. <<== just checked a bunch of photo's and noted that they appear only very slightly concave in the vertical plane, but much more pronounced in the horizontal plane. I guess technically it's convex... or does it depend upon which side of the glass you are on?

I did take a couple of crash moldings before I drilled out the holes and I may try both methods to see which worked best. I think it may be "rolled" - it will be a lot easier to roll flat photo-etch around the front of the spat than it will be trying to make a flat piece of photo-etch take on a concave shape

• Like 1

Right - I'm caught up now.

Only 3 pages in and already lots of hendie style inventive problem solving - love it :)

Sooooooo glad to see these extravagant skills being deployed on a 'proper' (i.e.fixed wing.....) flying thingamyjig......:)

I just know this is gonna be interesting, instructive and fun to read....

• Like 2

Lovely work on those landing lights! If you don't want to use PE for the covers, you could try aluminium from a beer can. The engine side panels on my Bleriot scratchbuild were made by gently rubbing the back of the handle of a small pair of scissors against the aly and it forms a nice curve.......

001-14.jpg

Ian

• Like 4

The undercarriage got closed off this morning. Since I am using styrene cement I'll need to leave it until tomorrow before I can start carving it into shape.

P5220001.JPG

So while that was set aside to cure I had a go at making the drivers seat. Original kit part on the left, and my attempt on the right.

That was my second attempt at soldering the base and it didn't turn out too badly at all. The seat back was just a very quick attempt to see what I could do... no measurements, just rough cut with a pair of scissors then filed to suit.

Once I study a few more photographs, I'll probably have another go with a bit more care as to overall shape and form. - provided I can find some decent reference material - I can find lots of shots with a portion of the seat showing, but haven't really found one which gives a good clear view of the seat alone.

P5220002.JPG

and in case you were wondering - that wire cage is made up from Ø0.5 mm wire

.. of course I am heading off again later this week so who knows when it will get done.

• Like 6

A privalige as always to watch your builds Hendie and I have no doubt a superlative end result awaits you :)

In the meantime have you seen this?

http://www.amazon.com/Westland-Lysander-Manual-1936-44-cloak-/dp/085733395X/ref=sm_n_ma_dka_GB_pr_pub_0_0?imprToken=XmYotwbp21AhNshYFlPUug&linkCode=w43&tag=warbirdalley&linkId=2f4ca8886466d887d21209dba32a8614

Can't vouch for the contents but Haynes have a decent reputation.

Trevor

• Like 2

Can't vouch for the contents but Haynes have a decent reputation.

Trevor

Unless of course you actually want to use one of their books to fix your car!

Martin

The pilot's seat is a mahoosive improvement already!

Martin

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments folks.

The Lysander has been fighting back since my last posting - well, not so much the Lysander fighting back as me being sloppy and not paying attention.

Last time around, I had cemented the styrene strips into the wheel arches - after leaving them overnight for the glue to cure, I cut off the excess and sanded the remainder to shape....

P5230001.JPG

It was all looking so good.... a small amount of sinking due to a slight over-use of the gluey stuff, but I decided to leave it like that as these panels probably got a fair bit of bashing around and it would look like general wear and tear once painted.

P5230002.JPG

Starboard side wheel check... looks good.

P5290005.JPG

Port side wheel check.... oh bother... we have a problem! The wheel is way too far rearward. I'm not entirely sure how it happened, suffice to say that at some point I could not have been paying enough attention, and the brass leg must have slipped from the position I had set it in. What to do now???

P5290006.JPG

After mulling it over for a few days I decided to opt for drastic surgery...

I had spent some time trying to wrangle the leg into position manually but it was never going to happen - that epoxy glue was doing what it was supposed to do and it wasn't for letting go. - The plastic was going to give in before the glue was. That left two options... 1) cut/grind/gouge the leg out of the undercarriage and try gluing it again, or 2) buy another kit and start again. Well, buying another kit was always a last resort so I had nothing to lose... and eventually I managed to grind enough of the glue away from the brass that allowed me to prise it free. I had one small accident on the way when the grinder hit the front of the spat, but nothing that cannot be rectified later with relative ease.

P5290007.JPG

Now we have attempt number two at getting the wheel/undercarriage leg in the right position.... we'll see where the glue sets this time!

P5290008.JPG

With that drama extinguished, I went looking for the next one. :hmmm:

The photo-etch set I purchased came along with a set of side frames... it's just a shame they look so 2-dimensional.

P5230003.JPG

So, in another moment of madness, I though that the PE frame would make a perfect template - All I had to do was cut some brass rod to length then solder in position. My initial plan was to use the PE only as a template then ditch it when done - then I realized that it would be next to impossible to make all the little doodads, doohickeys, and dumplings that were screwed, bolted, or otherwise suspended from the framework - so I had nothing to lose by just leaving the original PE in place after I had soldered all the rod together.

P5230004.JPG

Some time later, I had two side frames. I'm not sure how accurate they are - I just overlaid brass rod on the frame that was supplied, so if that wasn't accurate then..... you get the picture! However, I think they look many times better than just plain flat PE (I just hope this all fits later when I try to put it all together!)

P5290015.JPG

I'm still waiting on the Haynes manual to arrive so I can study the interior in more detail before I commit to putting anything together permanently here.

In the best of modelling tradition, I am completely winging this as I go along, with absolutely no planned build sequence whatsoever anywhere in my head. It's a case of looking at some bits and see what takes my fancy/doesn't look too difficult.

P5290014.JPG

Obviously, having got this far with the brass framing, I have no option but to manufacture the other framing - i.e. all the stuff that can be seen through the windows, including the wing mounting points, in brass also. Seems so easy... what could go wrong?

In other news... I wasn't happy with the performance I was getting from the old Mattel Vacuformer I bought so I took a page out of Mr. Fritag's book and went and bought one of these....

P5290011.JPG

First trial showed that it had much better performance - actually quite aggressive.

P5290012.JPG

I used the original collector ring and vacuum-formed directly over it with 0.5 mm sheet styrene. It turned out perfectly and the outer diameter matched the cowling (now with a layer of tape) better than I had anticipated. A bot more tweaking may be required - if anyone caught the cowling thread in WWII, they will know that the cowling diameter and length on the MKII was different. I need to increase the outer diameter of the cowl and reduce the length.

P5290017.JPG

Earlier I had mentioned about overlaying some aluminum tape on the cowl and adding dents and dings to it in an attempt to recreate the look of the cowl on the 1:1's - in just about every photo I have seen, the cowls seem to take an disproportionate amount of battering. The kit cowling is pristine, so need a bit of beating up..... here's a quick "I wonder if this'll work..."

P5290016.JPG

You can just about make out the dings and dents in the aluminum tape... I think the idea may just work.

• Like 16

'no planned build sequence': Hendie I have to say this is more like an inspired piece of jazz. Improv of the highest order. The cowling / tape idea is a nice piece of observation.

Kind regards,

Tony

• Like 1

Enjoying this immensely..

Hey Hendie... I'm proposing a total scratch (scrapheap challenge) group build for next year.... fancy having a go?

FB

If I could think of something to scratch build, I'd probably be up for it.... provided it ran for at least 18 months (as I am certainly not the fastest builder around here, that's for sure)

Does my train carriage count ?