Mil Mi-24 - its Hindelicious! Update 21/05

Hi everyone,

with progress on the T-72 slowed to a crawl, its time to fire-up this beast...

003_zps4czuwvah.jpg

.... purchased with the Helicopter GB in mind, but when I checked and saw the East German decal option, I decided to save it for this one.

004_zpsynniam7i.jpg

Even with the 'too short' tail, its still a big old bus....

005_zpsm1sq1zca.jpg

... but looks simple enough, which is handy since I know absolutely nothing about 'choppers'!

Cheers for now

Craig

Edited by specky
  • Like 5

I love this model! Looks great out of the box. If you want to add some details, go over to the Helicopter GB and check out the close-up photos in Pappy's build. A lot of the plumbing he did on the rotor should be easy to reproduce, and will look great in 1/48.

I love this model! Looks great out of the box. If you want to add some details, go over to the Helicopter GB and check out the close-up photos in Pappy's build. A lot of the plumbing he did on the rotor should be easy to reproduce, and will look great in 1/48.

Don't worry, I shall be shamelessly hijacking hints, tips, tricks and advice from everyone who has been foolish enough to put anything out into the public domain - including yourself !

Revell appear to have done a remarkably good job with the kit, since it was tooled in 1986 whilst these things were still at least semi secret, so - well done to them!

Already, I've hit a bit of a drama with the motors, The very visible seam on the inside of the exhaust nozzles is going to need some thought. Maybe cut the nozzles off? so I have access from 'inside' and outside to blend it.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone

So, the postman has finally decided to deliver this second kit....

001_zpsmcgnvew4.jpg

...US market?, with alternate decals, which is nice, but far more importantly...

002_zps1xkaanpg.jpg

....some pretty much essential after market. Although I'm not convinced PE is the most appropriate medium to represent some of the internal parts, it still promises to be a major improvement over the kit plastic.

Finally, ready to get started!

Craig

• Like 2

Yep, liking that.

Come on then, get on with it, lets see it done! :)

To be fair, the delay is very much down to you, since it was you who put me onto the chap selling this stuff! :winkgrin:

Anywho, slightly disturbingly, Edward will have you chopping most of the cockpit away.....

002_zpsibfcbmr4.jpg

...I think that will require the assistance of Mr Dremel in the AM, but if it all goes horribly wrong, at least I have a second kit!

In the meantime, just to make it feel as if I'm making progress, some soldering has occurred near one of the seats

001_zpsewb5adny.jpg

Some clean-up still required!

More to come

Craig

• Like 3

Hi, me again.

Although it doesn't seem like much, removing the surplus plastic from the cockpit moulding proved to be a rather time consuming exercise....

003_zpsrx3bjqda.jpg

....Eduard really don't help too much with their instructions regarding exactly how much is to be removed, but since its plastic, it will be easy enough to build up if I've gone too far.

Interesting to note the size difference with the seats...

004_zpsoc2cgrss.jpg

...offering up one of the figures suggests that Revell were rather generous when tooling those 'arm chairs'

More to come

Craig

• Like 3

Yikes! There's not a lot of kit cockpit left there. Be worthwhile work though with all that extra detail.

Cracking work there, not sure I would have the …….. to try that. Looking forward to your progress

Always wondered why no company have done a new tool Hind in this scale????

Uhm, I am afraid to ask. Is the outside of the cockpit symmetrical on this kit?

I would say so, to date only Zvezda have actually reproduced the "wobble" :)

I would say so, to date only Zvezda have actually reproduced the "wobble" :)

For some reason, it sticks in my mind that Revell and Zvesda share the tool for the 1/72 version - but I could easily be wrong!.

Either way, sadly this one is 'straight-up-and-down', which is a shame, but its excusable, I suppose, given its age and it'll only be an issue if I look at it from head-on!

Hi guys.

Well...I had my doubts about the suitability of PE for such a comprehensive cockpit rebuild and despite giving it a fair chance over the weekend, its just not happening for me.

Folding tiny bits of brass into tiny box shapes is just so 20 years ago, on top of which, so far, nothing actually fits where and how its supposed to!

So, in a slight change to the advertised program, the brass is being put to one side for the time being and plastic sheet will be used to create the revised, and hopefully more accurate structure, then the best bits of the PE, and there certainly are some, will be added to dress it up.

More soon...ish

Craig

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...