1/72 Yak-38 Forger +++ FINISHED +++

What's in the stash that will be suitable for this GB.... let's see.... Hase Mig-25 ? Too 1970s. Academy Mig-27 ? maybe... Airfix Harrier ? Already being built elsewhere in the GB....

How about this instead....

IMG_20160502_082856931_HDR

IMG_20160502_082856931_HDR_zpsmsv4fzsq.j

Operated from the Kiev aircraft carrier during the 80s in the Baltic, North Atlantic and Mediteranean, the Yak-38 was Soviet Naval Aviation's only operational VTOL strike fighter,

a 'Soviet harrier'.

Inside the box - not only is the subject from the 80s, so is this kit !

IMG_20160502_083049805

IMG_20160502_083041880_zpslcrgpm4d.jpg

IMG_20160502_083049805_zpsdacuxqgu.jpg

IMG_20160502_083041880

A bit basic, on the plus side I might actually finish it in time !

Time to 'forge' on..... at least being a Soviet aircraft I know what colour the wheel hubs are going to be :)

Was going to do this OOB, but might have to go aftermarket for decals. Plenty of time to think about it.....

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 5

Time to research white colour to paint the pilots flightsuit.... oh wait no pilot in the kit.

Ok, lets have a look at the instrument panel....oh wait there isn't one in the kit either !

This build might go a lot quicker than expected....

Just wings, fuselage and a great selection of weaponry (AS-7, AA-8, bombs, rocket pods, drop tanks) - certain other far eastern kit manfacturers take note....:)

Now to choose some suitable music.... thank goodness its an 80s build thereby precluding Shaking Stevens and ' yakkety yak' !

• Like 1

Good to see one of these in the GB Ian :thumbsup:

Remember there being this and a Hobbycraft kit of this machine out at the same time and I think this one, while being basic, was the more accurate of the two.

So far .... some painting and gluing of engines. Can't believe there's a proper main engine - not just a compressor face - when it's completely hidden inside the fuselage !

Practicing excuses for SWBO. "no dear, I've no idea how those Begemot decals got there. What Hannants box in the corner ?"

IMG_20160504_193416784

IMG_20160504_193416784_zpsyloljp5k.jpg

Very impressed with the decals - 24 airframe options with a short history of each. Just what I needed to make sure I was building one suitable for this GB :)

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 3

Been a bit quiet on the Forger front... lift jets fitted, cockpit tub (such as it is ) fitted. Had to raise slightly on a bed of blu tac as the seat was a tiny bit too low. Lots of dry fitting to make sure canopy still fitted (it didn't) followed by some more filing. Had to make an instrument panel out of card, covered in paint followed by drawing on dials with felt tip ! I say drawing, in this scale its more a case of putting on a few blobs that vaguely approximate dials if I squint hard enough :)

• Like 3

Tonight saw the commencement of gluing top to bottom. Doing it in 2 stages as I only have 2 hands and if the back section is pressed together then the front pops apart.....! ( Normally I'd just put a clamp behind the cockpit, but if I do that it will push in the lift jets.)

Off to quote Total Recall to my Forger......"baby, you make me wish I had 3 hands" :)

• Like 1

Wings now on. Had my first major disagreement with the instructions - Revell would have the tailplanes positioned dihedrally (pointed up ) whilst every other real pic shows them anhedral (pointed down)

IMG_20160514_120113635

IMG_20160514_120113635_zps0pagzopr.jpg

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 6

With ickle tiny wings like that, how did these things ever fly? Looks more extreme than even a Starfighter.

Theyre bonkers these Yaks and I love it.

• Like 1

Wings attached at wrong angle. Do not pass Go. Do not collect £200.

This morning spent bending wings downwards a bit more.

Pop quiz : when squeezing filler out of a tube, does it :

A) smoothly flow onto the precise gap you're trying to fill or

B ) not come out until you squeeze the tube so hard it bursts out of the bottom and all over your clothes and desk

No prizes for guessing which it was this morning :(

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 3

More issues with the instructions..... rear intake ducts in completely the wrong place. Should be just above and behind the wing, not down by the tail. Still, it was a good excuse to watch Forgers on YouTube.... :)

B ) not come out until you squeeze the tube so hard it bursts out of the bottom and all over your clothes and desk

Ah, the ole' bottom rupture, both not nearly as bad, but also as bad as it sounds 😂

I'm liking your build a whole lot. Looking forward to seeing more.

More pics shortly. Undercarriage on, having fun and games with lift engine cover.....more youtube research required.

Trying to decide which underwingy thingies to attach... apparently Forgers had major range and payload limitations, so thinking either rocket pod or AS-7. Not sure about AS-7 though, read somewhere it needed a guidance pod to be carried too.....

Re lift engine cover : tried as per instructions - didnt look right. Tried it with lid closed - didn't sit flush. Back to lid open and where did that piece to prop it open go...?

I must not feed the carpet monster.

Yakovlev unveiled their new pipeline transporting solution.....

IMG_20160522_082347829

IMG_20160522_082347829_zpsdezbxkvo.jpg

Moonbase Alpha discovered where all their spare Eagle engines had gone....

IMG_20160522_082445008_HDR

IMG_20160522_082455361_HDR_zps2uktqoqn.j

Seriously, those engine nozzles look way over-scale - but not sure there's anything I can do about them, other than position the finished article on the shelf

so that I won't see them !

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 3

Those exhausts do seem a little,um, proud. Perhaps as much a result of the exhaust scallops in the rear fuselage being too shallow as much as the size of the nozzles themselves? Either way it still looks like a Yak-38 and I do like watching your progress with it.

First coat of paint on. Time to start thinking about the canopy. And all those fiddly little antennae. Time to feed the carpet monster again !! :banghead:

IMG_20160525_191603628

IMG_20160525_191603628_zpsnp6jj0rp.jpg

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

Canopy on. 1 sensor to go. And stencils. So many stencils.......

Edit: needless to say front EO sensor (or whatever it is ) massively oversize. Now trimmed down to more reasonable proportions. Decals not started yet :(

Edited by IanHx

For some reason paint/varnish has been particularly problematic. Had to strip the tail 3 times and still has minor problem's on one side. Reached the point where its not worth putting more time into it, and started rationalising that Russian conscript sailors probably wouldn't put that much effort into a paint job either !