1/48 - Hawker Siddeley/BAe Harrier GR.1/GR.3 & McDD AV-8A/S Matador by Kinetic - released

Homebee

20 hours ago, quangster said:

Do I sense an innuendo here?

No, it didn’t come out the way I meant, which is totally my fault.

Raymond is a person I know well and he is a good person. Through our mutual contact he produced a lot of kits in his line.

I should have said he made his own rendition of a very popular image from the past. Or perhaps I should have said nothing at all.

37 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I should have said he made his own rendition of a very popular image from the past. Or perhaps I should have said nothing at all.

It's been cleared up now, so let's get back on topic :)

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

I should have said he made his own rendition of a very popular image from the past.

Artists are not producer's employees, they don't work exclusively for them. Adam Tooby is not an Airfix employee ( https://www.adamtooby.com/ ), neither is Vincenzo Auletta ( http://www.auletta.it/ ) who's made numerous box arts for Kinetic... and Italeri and Academy and even Wolfpack. Look at Auletta's portfolio... you'll find the box arts of the Italeri 1/72 F-35B, Academy 1/72 AH-64DBlock II or Wolfpack 1/48 MiG-29. It's the same thing with Adam Tooby.

Edited by Laurent
  • Like 5

Looks good, have one on pre-order from Hannants, better make that two as I want to do a GR1 and 3.

EDIT: and it wont let me add another until there is stock, ah well, hope its not long now.

Edited by One 48

It looks good, but I’m a bit suspicious about the number and position of the auxiliary intake doors, too many and too small?  I’m hoping it’s just a combination of camera angle and my dodgy eyesight.  Tailplane travel looks a little excessive though.🤣🤪

9 hours ago, Homebee said:

Schemes - ref. 48060 - BAe Harrier GR.1/.3

Source: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1656324344534670&id=129238860576567

V.P.

I'm assuming option #7 should be labelled #6.

I'll be waiting for an aftermarket sheet with a GR.3 in the white winter camo, but I'll be buying this kit as soon as it's out!

Jon

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stever219 said:

It looks good, but I’m a bit suspicious about the number and position of the auxiliary intake doors, too many and too small?  I’m hoping it’s just a combination of camera angle and my dodgy eyesight.  

H.S./BAe Harriers had 8 doors (as in the kit), MacAir Harriers had 7.  So GR.1/3/AV-8A/AV-8C/SHAR and all related family models = 8 doors.  AV-8B/GR.5/7/9 and allrelated family models = 7 doors.  MacAir Harrier inlets are also larger, combined with the lower number of doors means larger doors than on the earlier models.  HTH

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stever219 said:

It looks good, but I’m a bit suspicious about the number and position of the auxiliary intake doors, too many and too small?  I’m hoping it’s just a combination of camera angle and my dodgy eyesight.  Tailplane travel looks a little excessive though.🤣🤪

Hard to tell - the number is correct but it looks like the fixed element might be a little too wide. We shall see with the kit

Aeroguide%2012%20Hawker%20Siddeley%20Har

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Homebee said:

Decals - ref. 48060 - BAe Harrier GR.1/.3

Source: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1656326317867806&id=129238860576567

118617818-1656326277867810-2800871936986

V.P.

The instructions have XZ760 but the sheet has the correct XV760, but I believe these are just the first proofs for the instructions and have not been printed yet.

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Looks good to my untrained eye. I would be interested in seeing a test build review as I have seen fit issues quoted on most reviews of Harriers, and the awkward shape of the subject makes tackling them tricky

What we need now is for HGW to come up with some MDC decals like they use for the rivet sets, the ones that leave no carrier film.

Cheers

Les

Mine's winging its way from Lucky Models as I type! I fell in love with the original box-art from the big Airfix Harrier GR.1 but never had the space to build it; so now I plan to pay homage to it and finish my (first ^_^) Kinetic 1/ 48 version as Harrier GR.1 XV788. in these markings (maybe not replicating all those rivets/dimples...) .

Fortunately for me, Kinetic have very kindly included this particular aircraft on their decal sheet!  :goodjob: 

spacer.png

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 4

On 8/12/2020 at 5:47 AM, One 48 said:

Hi Tiger331, hope this works, here is the pic of me sitting in Flt Lt Rocky Goodall's Harrier GR1 as a kid of about 14 at an RAF Wildenrath Germany sort of family day thing, early to mid 70's. Dad was in the RAF then too and served at Wildenrath, though we lived off camp at Geilenkirchen, so a bit of travel for him and me and sisters to the BFPO school Kent at Hostert, lived there three years, fun times.

Unfortunately my original pic got ruined over the years somehow, only found it again after Dad passed away, last year a lady friend tried to restore as best she could on Photoshop she is still learning, not a bad recovery, very happy with it.

Goes without saying have a passion for all things Harrier here, will be buying at least two of these kits... fantastic news.

Goodalls-Harrier-1.jpg

Goodals-Harrier-2.jpg

Just came across your post when I was seeking an update on progress with the Kinetic Harrier. Must say, I had a laugh when I saw your photo - us Scaly Brats must have all had a particular 'look' in the early to mid 1970s. Around the time you were at Kent School, I was attending King Richards school (another SCEA school) in Dhekelia, Cyprus and sported the same hairstyle and fashion sense. As I say, it must have been the Service kids look. Must look out an old photo so you can see what I mean. I notched up, on average, a school a year during my 13 years in the system - Isle of Wight, Libya (Tobruk then Benghazi), Isle of Wight, Singapore (2 different schools), Isle of Wight, Gibraltar (2 different schools), Cyprus, Singapore, Malta and finally back to the Isle of Wight (boarding school for my last two years). Happy days ! 

Oh....and I too cannot wait for the new Harrier GR.3....deployed these to Denmark, Norway and Portugal a few times during my early career although I much preferred working with the Jaguar Wing at RAF Coltishall. I hope Kinetic follow up with a decent Jaguar kit some day too.   

• Like 3

LOL Tiger 331, yeah, our old wooly tank tops we wore as teens and those old creeper shoes that bands like Mud and the Bay City Rollers wore back in those days :)

We had our own teenage disco's arranged for us, it was a good life, disruption when posted and leaving old friends, but bonus was meeting new friends too.

We were Forces brats and it was great, gee wizz, schools me and sisters went to as well, RAF St Mawgan was Dads first posting I think, very young then though, then RAF Akrotiri Cyprus, then RAF Topcliffe, then RAF Macrihanish, then Germany for RAF Wildenrath ... but stayed at Geilenkirchen and finally RAF Kinloss, each base about 3 years each, so a fair bite of different cultures and understandings, far more than a usual 2 week holiday luxury venture could give .. in Cyprus we stayed in a two flat complex away from everyone as overspill in nearby Limmasol from RAF Akrotiri.

Good times