1/48 - Hawker Siddeley/BAe Harrier GR.1/GR.3 & McDD AV-8A/S Matador by Kinetic - released

Homebee

Have one on back order from Hannants, but they wouldn't let me add another a little while ago?

Signed up with Lucky Models just now and ordered another for £45 ish delivered that seems OK to me, needed two of these because I want a GR1 and 3, hopefully by time Lucky Models kit arrives Hannants might have stock too, want to build both at same time.

One as a snow Harrier for sure.

Looking fwd to this kit a lot, happy memory's from when my late Dad served with them in Germany and saw them close up many times ... oh yes.

What is average delivery time from Lucky Model to UK in these Covid days? chose best option that cost a little more (Air Mail) but every-things up in the air just now and may be Customs too? ... just curious and keen, I can wait a bit longer :)

2 minutes ago, Nick Belbin said:

Hah! Those hairstyles weren’t unique to sons-of-armed-forces-personnel you know!?! Some of us civvies’ sons could do just as badly!

Nick

Haha, am 61 now Nick, was 14 maybe 13 in that pic, had a great head of hair for a while, at this years Covid lock down in March when could not get hair cuts ... and was starting to go thin on top, sourced some hair clippers on Amazon and shaved it all of, baldie now and proud, its great to lose my head hair, no more combing or styling it actually feels better too. :)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, RichG said:

Mine's winging its way from Lucky Models as I type! I fell in love with the original box-art from the big Airfix Harrier GR.1 but never had the space to build it; so now I plan to pay homage to it and finish my (first ^_^) Kinetic 1/ 48 version as Harrier GR.1 XV788. in these markings (maybe not replicating all those rivets/dimples...) .

Fortunately for me, Kinetic have very kindly included this particular aircraft on their decal sheet!  :goodjob: 

spacer.png

Rich

My thoughts exactly. Also got the notification from Lucky Models but think I might have pre-ordered elsewhere . . .

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Haha, am 61 now Nick, was 14 maybe 13 in that pic, had a great head of hair for a while, at this years Covid lock down in March when could not get hair cuts ... and was starting to go thin on top, sourced some hair clippers on Amazon and shaved it all of, baldie now and proud, its great to lose my head hair, no more combing or styling it actually feels better too. :)

Beatcha! 64! But that does explain why you’ve referred to the Bay City Rollers - my sister quite liked them as well (moaa-moaa!)

I was into proper music like Led Zep, Floyd, Rooster, ABBA, Purple, Sabbath, Split Enz, Brand X, Colosseum, Yes,  . . . 

As for me, my last haircut was just in time for my mother’s funeral mid Feb. I probably need a tidy up but, well, y’know . . .

Edited by Nick Belbin
Working-from-home-haircut-update
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got there hands on one of the new GR.3's yet? I've got one on order but thought there may have been some early reviews up by now.

Eng

2 hours ago, eng said:

Anyone got there hands on one of the new GR.3's yet? I've got one on order but thought there may have been some early reviews up by now.

Eng

There's a Hyperscale 'unboxing' video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W51plr25ERs&feature=emb_logo

Based on the video, to me the kit looks to be pretty good.....

Edited by hopkp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rodenlee said:

Nice

Off we go then!

Cheers

Shaun

Not so fast!

We haven't had the upgrades yet! 

So lets see... 'possibly/hopefully'... Eduard PE and Resin with the possibility of a 'LooK' set. 'Possibly/hopefully' something from CMK and/or BlackDog and 'possibly/hopefully' one of those 3D printed cockpit sets from Quinta Studios.

So for now, they'll be providing a very small amount of new home insulation compared to the huge amount that I have let go and continue to let go. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

I'm a little baffled/grumped that the LRMTS does not have a clear part at the front so it'll be another raid of the 'spares' bag then! :S

No need to, Kinetic got it right. The real thing had eyelid covers to stop damage to the lens.

Harrier_GR.3_nose_detail,_Newark_Air_Mus

• Like 10

On 24/10/2020 at 07:44, Nocoolname said:

Nice, is that from LuckyModel? I ordered one from there air mail so guess mine will be here any time now, a second one I've pre-ordered from Hannants and should be hearing from them about it very soon, yay.

I love Harriers, especially early ones :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

They only got it right if you're limiting your builds to when it is closed :(

Which it would have been most of the time? only opens when it needs to do so, mainly in flight as it would have been tested on the ground out of the aircraft on most cases?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Julien said:

Which it would have been most of the time? only opens when it needs to do so, mainly in flight as it would have been tested on the ground out of the aircraft on most cases?

In my case I would be looking to provide for both options. It's no biggy, just a case of replacing the solid plastic with a clear, rather dark-clear, part. 

If I recall correctly, it only opened when the LRMTS was in operation (ie ranging or receiving ground laser designator input.  The erosion on the doors in flight was considerable, especially in rain or hail.  Paint on the doors is easier to replace than optical glass, and closed doors were also safer from a laser safety viewpoint.  It was quite hard to get the doors to open on the ground due to the number of safety cut outs.  You do really not want  to be shining a high power laser at everyone in the vicinity.  

Regards

Tim

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 7:05 AM, Nocoolname said:

I'm a little baffled/grumped that the LRMTS does not have a clear part at the front so it'll be another raid of the 'spares' bag then! :S

The eyelids were only opened when diving into the attack, or when it was being tested/fixed. In that case you only got a fleeting glimpse before the laser safety cover was fitted. By the way if you did see it, the Glass was bright an clear, not tinted in anyway. A tint would have reduced the efficiency of the laser.

Selwyn 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

And a AMMO MiG Jimenez boxing - ref. AMIG8505 - McDD AV-8S Matador Harrier

Source: https://www.migjimenez.com/en/preorder/3422-148-harrier-av-8s-matador-spanish-american-british-versions-8432074085058.html

Preorder until November 30th 2020 - Estimated availability early / middle February 2020

148-harrier-av-8s-matador-spanish-americ
148-harrier-av-8s-matador-spanish-americ

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Hawker Siddeley/BAe Harrier GR.1/GR.3 & McDD AV-8A/S by Kinetic - GR.1/GR.3 & AV-8A released - AV-8S Matador by AMMO in February 2021