1/48 - Hawker Siddeley/BAe Harrier GR.1/GR.3 & McDD AV-8A/S Matador by Kinetic - released

Homebee

It was a strong rumour, now confirmed by R. Chung, the Kinetic boss himself, in ARC forums. After the Sea Harrier FRS.1 (link) & FA.2 (link), the two seat Harrier T.2/T.4/T.8 (link), Kinetic is quite logically to produce 1/48th Hawker Siddeley/BAe Harrier GR.1/GR.3 kits.

So time to open a dedicated thread, I think.

Source: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=287539&view=findpost&p=2798826

Posted 02 May 2016, 01:19 AM

Sure, the GR1.GR3 already on the list

Raymond Chung

LuckyModel.com

big-logo.gif

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 6

Well that's got my attention :thumbsup:

If there was one aircraft that needed re doing it's the GR1/3

Nice one

• Like 2

Well that's got my attention :thumbsup:

If there was one aircraft that needed re doing it's the GR1/3

Nice one

I have to disagree, I'm sorry, but we really need a new quarterscale Buccaneer first.

How 'bout it, Mr. Chung??!!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2019 at 5:31 PM, Sturmovik said:

I'm still waiting for news on their Pucará. 

On 5/16/2019 at 5:13 AM, dambuster said:

Wot he said^^^^^

In conversation with a good mate of mine, who in turn was in touch with Raymond early this week, I've found out that, sadly, the Pucará kit will be pushed back until new notice owing to a lot of unexpected market conditions happening since the US - China trade wars... :weep: Raymond himself announced.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Sad 3

I think Mr. Chung/Kinetic should check the cross section of the canopy/wind shield. The only shape issue I see on the original FRS kit is that the cross section of canopy/wind shield is a bit too full/circular, here is a small comparison, kinetic on top and bottom left, airfix top right(though a kit bash from a great modeller) and the real thing bottom right(mirrored photo), I think by looking at the front frame of the main canopy, it is noticeable that the cross section of the real thing is more "pinched" at the top, the kinetic one is more rounded or circular, the airfix one look better, with clearly smaller radius at the top:

spacer.png

To me the cross section of the GR1's CAD looks rather circular too.  Here is a photo of the wind shield of a AV-8A(from the NASA harrier restoration project), the eggy/"pinched" look is clear to see, with clearly the smallest radius at the top, that shape should be there on the GR1 too: 

spacer.png

Edited by delide
  • Like 4

Soooo, is this not the time to bring it up? When they are in early CAD design.
Just making them aware there might be a problem with it. That they might of made a mistake on previous issues.
Nothing gets fixed if you just sit on your rears and say nothing!

• Like 5

15 hours ago, delide said:

To me the cross section of the GR1's CAD looks rather circular too.  Here is a photo of the wind shield of a AV-8A(from the NASA harrier restoration project), the eggy/"pinched" look is clear to see, with clearly the smallest radius at the top, that shape should be there on the GR1 too: 

You are quite right, those CADs do seem to show the wrong cross-section for the canopy.  Here's a GR.3 taken from a similar angle to the CAD image, the canopy would be identical for GR.1/3/AV-8A/C/S:spacer.png

At least the CADs don't show SHAR pylons - so that is an improvement from the T-bird kit.  But yes, the canopy design should be looked at again by Kinetic's designers, now, before molds are cut.

I am very happy about the GR.1 and I even want the Kestrel/Harrier  P.1127! As I am not interested in models because they depict the best, strongest, with most destructive power loaded, by the highest scoring „aces“ flown etc. plane.. I like models of planes, because either they are beautiful (to me), or remember me of model kits I built when I was young. So: I am really looking forward to this kit!

• Like 1

I hope that they can fix the canopy issue in time for release. Raymond is normally very good about things like this.

Why is it that the canopy/windscreen is wrong on so many kits out there (RA-5C, Canberra, F-105, F-101, A-3D, A-7 (32) Revell Spitfire (32), A-10 (32) etc. etc) - is it just that we notice it more so the errors are more obvious? Is it just because the cross section is easy to see once the canopy is opened. 

It is far harder a fix than almost anything else. 

Will

On 17/05/2019 at 10:55, Uncle Uncool said:

In conversation with a good mate of mine, who in turn was in touch with Raymond early this week, I've found out that, sadly, the Pucará kit will be pushed back until new notice owing to a lot of unexpected market conditions happening since the US - China trade wars... :weep: Raymond himself announced.

Cheers,

Unc2

Were you commenting on Kinetic's Facebook Pucará post?

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:41 PM, Sturmovik said:

Were you commenting on Kinetic's Facebook Pucará post?

Hola, Fran.

Yeh, exactly. That post was brought to me by this good modelling fella of mine, as I had been totally out of, surprisingly.

Got "they're" post in my mobile pone, if someone needs me to post it, but I guess Kinetic Facebook's account is best.

Y'see, I ain't a Facebook user 'cause Mr Zuckerberg's the anti-Christ, I was told... :rofl2: Beware of the cyber evil.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kinetic have mentioned in a comment on Facebook (Comments thread for guessing their next surprise release) that due to feedback they will provide the parts for a GR1/GR3 in the one box.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Really pleased they are doing this. It would have been absurd to release the kits separately given the small number of additional parts needed and especially so given Kinetic's usual good form for releasing a base kit with multiple options already in the box (e.g. Mirage 2000, T-Harrier, F/A-18 (which could be built as an A, B or even ATARS D with a bit of clear styrene)). I'll likely bag four of these now - one for a Harrier prototype, one for an early GR.1, one for a Falklands GR.3 and one to be combined with Hasegawa parts to make a Harrier II prototype. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Really pleased they are doing this. It would have been absurd to release the kits separately given the small number of additional parts needed and especially so given Kinetic's usual good form for releasing a base kit with multiple options already in the box (e.g. Mirage 2000, T-Harrier, F/A-18 (which could be built as an A, B or even ATARS D with a bit of clear styrene)). I'll likely bag four of these now - one for a Harrier prototype, one for an early GR.1, one for a Falklands GR.3 and one to be combined with Hasegawa parts to make a Harrier II prototype. 

Harrier prototypes? That sounds very interesting, indeed!