Give that man a Ceegar! Masking the clear bits was a job I wasn't looking forward to, but that technique looks good, edge with thin strips then fill in the middle? Never thought of that DOH!

• Like 1

Canopy nearly finished . .Will go over with a cocktail stick to push any strips that may have sliped . Cut gun off and drilled end to put brass tube in later. When attached to fuselage i will infill between tape with Copydex.

P1010643.jpg

The brsaa tube is the canopy spreader.

This is one of the few times that i would have purchased a pre made mask set but couldnt find one for this kit.

• Like 5

Canopy and nose now attached , not perfect but far better than i had first feard.

P1010646.jpg

basicaly the canopy was too small in all dimensions.

Turning to the hole for the peil Gerat (i think that is its name) on the fuselage spine , it ssi far too large both in depth and circumfrance for the clear part so will fabricate one from the clear sprue

P1010647.jpg

P1010649.jpg

lucky the plastic is ust alittle thick so when in position i will sand and polish it back to fuselage surface.

now the canopy id done i feel as if im zooming along . good ob as iv got the Aims g6 conversion to start.

• Like 3

Some of these parts look just like the Italari I am working on. I suspect that my share some portions of the molds.

Good looking work you are doing.

Greg in OK

• Like 1

That canopy looks nice are you going to use masking fluid to cover the other bits?

Masking fluid ......no way . used to use it but found it dried too quickly and i would always find that 3/4 bottle got wasted as it dried up . Now i use copydex ,a lot cheaper ,easier to move around and have longer before it dries .give it a try and you wont regret it .

Some of these parts look just like the Italari I am working on. I suspect that my share some portions of the molds.

Good looking work you are doing.

Greg in OK

If it is Greg , proceed with caution as the fit of some parts is so-so . You are doing the C arnt you so will have a different engine sprue so may not be as bad.

• Like 1

made another disc from plastic card and covered it in aluminum tape

P1010651.jpg

then put clear plastic disc in and sanded and polished so now has exactly the same curvature as the fuselage

P1010653.jpg

Wii give the fuselage a coat of primer tomorrow.

• Like 3

Have made a good start on the wings

0ccb6c3d-581c-4b40-a2d2-9a096f94db23.jpg

care must be taken not to fit the insert to low down as it will spread the engine nacelle out too much.

P1010622.jpg

P1010623.jpg

P1010625.jpg

nacelle to wing fit is the best fit of any parts so far .Just a smidge of liquid putty should do the job .

Engines a little warped P1010624.jpg

The engine to nacelle fit looks to be poor so going for a coffee and put thinking cap on

• Like 4

You're cracking on there Alistair, and I'm only doing one build.

Wish I had collected a few reference books over the years, but I only ever envisaged doing one of a particular type of subject, so thought it a waste.

When I go in the loft I'm torn between finishing the SH 1/72 Skua I started eons ago, doing some wargame stuff, or, bits to a model railway I've had on the go for about 3 years now. Still, got till August, eh?

• Like 1

Wot is making a big difference to my productivity is that we got rid of all the televisions around a month ago so more time to listen to repeats on radio 4 and 4 extra , post on Britmodeller and do my 3 88's

edit

and all our kids have left home .YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by Mottlemaster
  • Like 2

T he power eggs have now been attached and to bring them to horizontal from pointing slightly upwards i sanded the bottom of the front of the nacelles however to reduce the risk of the front getting too thin i built up between the top of the nacelle withe some plastic card.

These vents need to be removed

P1010621_1.jpg

Area to be sanded down on front of nacelle

P1010622_1.jpg

Plastic card spacers

P1010629_1.jpg

P1010630.jpg red arrow points to area that was starting to disappear with sanding .

Tomorrow its getting these all sanded .

• Like 3

[quote

and all our kids have left home .YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They can (and do) return sometimes. I've had my youngest daughter ( now 28 ) back a couple of times over the years, and we currently have my wife's son (32) living with us. ;)

Thanks Rob .

Yes there is a bit of work but i do like a bit of sorting and sanding and it wont end up perfect but the time investment always adds to the story when in years to come its looked at on the shelf.

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 1

The exhaust shrouds supplied with the kit are not correct for the S-3 as they are more like the ones on the C-6 night fighter . The S-3 has the type the same / similar to the G-6 so i have made some up out of sprue .

P1010679.jpg

P1010680.jpg

P1010682.jpg

The hardest part was making 4 the same

• Like 7

Thanks lyn .

I have started to put some paint down ,inpatient to see how the spots work out :)

Going the blue tack route would take me weeks so have gone the copydex way . first a coat of spot color and then the application of blue tack , when dry the top coat goes on . under surfaces iv used model masters enamel grey-green for the spots

top surface they are light grey

P1010744.jpg

P1010686.jpg

P1010685.jpg

Tomorrow i will become a teenager again and spend some time picking spots :zombie:

• Like 3

Hi Alistair,

That's a great job you're doing on a difficult kit. The paint scheme looks superb and a real challenge. Will watch with interest how you progress on this build.

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

Nice finish, looks like all those blobs paid off. I like your squiggly lines on the fuselage, were they hand painted or airbrushed?

• Like 1