1/144 West German Alpha Jet

Hello everyone,

I have finally finished the P-47, my Hurricanes I can not finish as I left the paint at my parents... bloody typically! So here is the entry for this GB.

26689837441_e4abbb8407_b.jpg

I am not 100% sure if this colour scheme is the right one for the time frame. I will have to look into this one more, or if anyone else knows? I think it might be...

26150794694_9d8356926d_b.jpg

Considering how old this kit is, I remember building this kit as a nipper in the 90's. The moulds are not that bad.

26153172273_739d1b0321_b.jpg

Hopefully here you can see the classic Alpha Jet "banana tail" that will need dealing with at some point. All I can see for weapons is the gun pod and two fuel tanks. I will have to dig up some bombs from somewhere, hopefully I can find some cluster bombs.

26756690295_79209d6663_b.jpg

Do I get bonus points for having the decals printed in West Germany? :P

26689816891_58edefd46b_b.jpg

While the cockpit isn't that bad, I'm looking at you Dragon/DML kits, it isn't the best either. So with that in mind I will be using the below to help.

26756695085_3d23cc09a5_b.jpg

Good old RetroWings kits, this one might actually be the smallest one I have used yet. We shall see if it gives me any issues, I highly doubt it would, I have never had any issues. Might try to lift the canopy like in the picture.

26153149483_2c677cd6ce_b.jpg

The solution to the banana tail effect. So I have got to cut the tail up... yay! :)

Hopefully starting this one soon, the resin is drying now after a good wash. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 3

Nice one Dazz. I'm interested to see how this one goes together and how the Retrokits parts perform.

• Like 1

Do I get bonus points for having the decals printed in West Germany? :P

No, but you do if you get them to go on without silvering :winkgrin: . Hopefully I'm wrong, but this vintage Revell decal is not my favourite!

That aside, this looks like a great little kit, particularly with the AM additions :popcorn:

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Nice one Dazz. I'm interested to see how this one goes together and how the Retrokits parts perform.

Cheers Col, I have used Retrokits bits on a few of my previous builds and I have had no issues with them, they fit like a charm. I just wished they would do some weapons like BL775's, which are providing me with a headache trying to locate.

Ooooh!

:popcorn:

1/144!

Good to have you aboard Murdo. :)

No, but you do if you get them to go on without silvering :winkgrin: . Hopefully I'm wrong, but this vintage Revell decal is not my favourite!

That aside, this looks like a great little kit, particularly with the AM additions :popcorn:

Cheers

Cliff

The decals I am not too worried about really, I have a spare Tornado/F-104 I can steal some from, so thats not really an issue. We will see how these buggers perform. :)

I am worried about painting it, but it should pose too much of a problem. Hopefully I can this soon, had a few issues at work recently.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Right guys I have finally made a start on this wee one. Not too sure how well I have done on it, but PICTURE TIME!

26878320536_9f5366acd5_b.jpg

Not too sure if the olive drab is the correct colour for the... I dont know what they are called actually. But it's a colour I felt would look right, the dials and such just did not want to paint. I am happy with the result thus far tho.

26844095291_032ac463a6_b.jpg

Decided to give the main wheel bay a little bit of detail, if you look at the picture above of the ejection seats/control sticks you will see the wheel bay above it. I have also cut out the landing gear doors as well, I have seen these doors both open and closed. I liked the open look, but we will see how well it looks when I close the fuselage halves.

26818042852_9f5bbc2d72_b.jpg

All painted up and gear installed, okay it looks a little better, I will give it a wash later and go from there.

26911568045_e4c5fe923b_b.jpg

I have also decided that because the cockpit/seats are so well done (well done Domi!), that I am going to *try* and display the canopy open. So out came the microsaw, 0.5mm thick it is and I attempted to cut it down, this is where I go. I think I have something to work with. Might try a vacformed version tho.

26818042272_e82df2894f_b.jpg

Picture of the cockpit shut, it does look okay here, please bear in mind that each square on the mat is actually 1cm squared and those are not massive pegs (can you even get them?!)

I'm a little stuck on the weapons, as in I do not know of any kit in 1/144 that has cluster bombs BL755's, I did find a Jaguar GR.1 kit, but that has some god awful missiles in it (I dunno). I have a lots and lots of Rockeyes and Mk.84's but I need to see what the Alpha jet can carry. I do have some SNEB rocket pods, but they are for my Hunter.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Edit : According to Wiki, the Alpha Jet can carry AGM-65 Mavericks... I have LOADS of Mavericks... that solves that issue then. :)

Edited by Dazzio
  • Like 3

Nice start and good detail, especially given the scale.

lovely details and especially for something so tiny!

Cheers lads, 1/144 isn't so hard to work in, once you can see what you are doing! I personally can't so it's all guess work! :P

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Hello Dazzio,

Nice to see some 1/144 work under construction! I tend to build in 1/144 too, but i have never tried the alphajet, so will follow your build with added interest. :coolio:

For me, seeing the parts isn't the end of the story, i also have huge clumsy fingers! :banghead:

But it's a wonderful scale! :lol:

Kind Regards,

Johnny.

• Like 1

That looking good, I always admire those who tackle this scale. My eyes wouldn't let me do 1/144, half the time they wont let me do 48 either :banghead:

• Like 1

Edit : According to Wiki, the Alpha Jet can carry AGM-65 Mavericks... I have LOADS of Mavericks... that solves that issue then. :)

I don't know where that information comes from on Wikipedia, and it may be correct for some modernized export version, but the Luftwaffe Alpha Jets didn't carry the AGM-65 Maverick. They didn't even have a screen in the cockpit that would show the TV or IR image from the missile. Only unguided munitions were used. And they carried LAU-51 rocketpods, not SNEB's.

Other than that, what a lovely little build! ^_^

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Dazzio,

Nice to see some 1/144 work under construction! I tend to build in 1/144 too, but i have never tried the alphajet, so will follow your build with added interest. :coolio:

For me, seeing the parts isn't the end of the story, i also have huge clumsy fingers! :banghead:

But it's a wonderful scale! :lol:

Kind Regards,

Johnny.

Thank you for the interest johnny. I have built the Alpha Jet before when I was younger it was the Jabo version (blue and yellow). It was easy to build then, and hasn't proved much more trouble now. There is a bit of flash on the more delicate parts but nothing to really worry about. It is a wonderful scale, easy to manage space wise as well :)

That looking good, I always admire those who tackle this scale. My eyes wouldn't let me do 1/144, half the time they wont let me do 48 either :banghead:

Thank you Skids, tbh the last few years I have started to struggle with the scale. I think it's more to do with my lights/glasses than anything else. I have never built a 1/48 scale model, ever, I wouldn't know where to start tbh :P

I don't know where that information comes from on Wikipedia, and it may be correct for some modernized export version, but the Luftwaffe Alpha Jets didn't carry the AGM-65 Maverick. They didn't even have a screen in the cockpit that would show the TV or IR image from the missile. Only unguided munitions were used. And they carried LAU-51 rocketpods, not SNEB's.

Other than that, what a lovely little build! ^_^

Thanks for the information Pete, I knew it was going too well. I don't suppose you have any information on what they actually carried? I have next to no chance of getting an LAU-51 in 1/144 unless I have to buy a very expensive model knowning my luck! I have seen a picture of an Alphajet carrying what looks like a SNEB to me, but it could be a later export version.

Right the build of this has been stalled thanks to me leaving my liquid gravity at my parents. But I managed to pick it up the other day. Then I remembered that I had no HOT Rocket glue to use on it. So I had been playing with normal superglue gel. Took a while but managed to get some weight in there. When it came to closing the fuse halves together, it didn't wanna close. I know it's not the cockpits fault as it's smaller than the original Revell part. The issue is with the gear bay. So in typical Dazzio fashion, I glued it and forced the sweetheart together! :)

27362963502_02d8603c9e_b.jpg

I've got a bit of cleaning up to do on her and I might just rescribe the whole bottom. I have since fitted the tail (no pictures yet) and it looks fantastic. I have got a M2A2 Bradley on the go as well, which you can see behind it actually, now that I think about it, I could of entered the Bradley in to this build? I got another one on the go (barley started), if anyone knows about the Bradley in Europe, I would love to know. :)

Hopefully more tonight as the otherhalf is out dancing.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just letting you know that I have not forgotten this little one. I am still working on it, I had fun filling all of the little gaps on the underside. Still got an issue with stores tho. Think I may have found some.

Here is where I am upto now, I'm gonna spray a primer coat on it now and hopefully be painting her soon.

27675219062_316c753564_b.jpg

The green thing you can see in the background is a AH-1S Cobra from Japan, it's a gaspon kit of sorts and I managed to get about 16 of them in a sale for £4 I think. Just building it.... well it will take longer to paint than to properly build. Not sure on the Alphas nose... hhmm..

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 4

Glad to see you're still working on this one Dazz. The nose does look a bit thin now you mention it :hmmm:

The Cobra looks interesting as well; eBay?

• Like 1

I am still working on her, I've not had a chance to do any painting yet. Will try tonight now that I think about it, I got an empty house. The nose is looking really... odd. lets see how it looks under a coat of primer. Could just be the angle/camera.

The Cobra is from a set I got from HLJ in their black friday sales about a year or two ago. It's lots of little kits, there was the AH-1S, Type-90 MBT, Type 87 self-propelled anti-aircraft gun and the 4th thing I can not remember. But it was 4 models of each (different coloured plastic) on a cardboard "base" kinda like how you used to buy peanuts at a pub years ago. I did have the intention of selling the others tbh. Never gotten around to it. I think I have a grey one at home, would you like more pictures of it col?

Kind Regards,

Dazz