HobbyBoss 1/72 Ju-88 C-6 - ++Finished++ Awaiting pictures.

So, slow progress continues. I've got the pre-shading done. I lightened most of the panels on the bottom for the sake of the RLM 65 and then a couple on the top (though they're unlikely to be seen through the distemper.

Off on holiday for a week on Friday so no updates for a while.

20160608_220222_zps2ueipn3s.jpg

20160608_220231_zpsg1g7rslg.jpg

Toodles.

• Like 4

Cheer MM.

Painting is certainly my favourite part, and the one I need the most practice on, so it was good to get to this stage faster than usual. The only real negative I can give the kit is that the vertical surfaces are pretty much devoid of detail, so my pre-shading is just guess work on most of the fuselage. Oh, and the cockpit obviously. It also lacks proper armament which meant I had to steal some from an He-111 kit and there's no gun barrels for the gondola mounted weaponry.

• Like 1

Got part of the undersides sprayed this afternoon whilst working from home. Ran out of paint in the cup and it wasn't going so well to begin with (splattering and runs, inconsistent paint flow. Y'know the usual when you've got limited time) so I decided to stop whilst I was ahead. The pre-shading was too stark (I should have not bothered on the undersides and just lightened the panel centres) but it should calm down under a filter and matte varnish.

20160609_153625_zpsvxonyflp.jpg

• Like 3

You're going to pre shade yourself?

Not on my 88 as I've already painted mine, I will give it a go on my next aircraft build.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still slowly working on this (not that it's actually any slower than my usual pace mind).

Currently masking the undersides in preparation for the splinter camo. Unfortunately I really hate masking and so far I'm about 70% of the way through after about a week. But I'll get it done.

Toodles,

Paul

Well, after more than a week the masking is mostly done. I just need to mask off the nose separately as I haven't decided whether to paint it now, or later...or actually what colour to paint it. On the full size it is definitely darker than the underside RLM 65 but not by much. I would think it was probably RLM 65 with a bit of RLM 66 in to darken it a little. I'll have a play and see what I can come up with.

20160704_134120_zpsbmiuzlke.jpg

So, I've found another image purporting to be of the same airframe but I'm not sure of your validity. The markings look too crisp compared to the rest of the photo and it appears to be lacking the tail band (which is a bugger as it took me ages to mask and paint the thing). What do you peeps think?

EDIT: Also, by the looks of things, I've got the masking on the tail wrong as the splinter camo appears to go over the leading edge on not just bisect it on the horizontal, not that that's hard to fix considering I haven't started painting it yet.

Ju88C6-KG76-(F1+XM)-Russia1942_2af-s.jpg

Is it not just a fact of operational life that, depending on conditions and missions carried out, colours and markings could be constantly changed, messed on with and basically 'titavated' (is that the spelling?).

I would go with the scheme instructions like I am doing with mine.

Edited by DaveyGair
  • Like 1

Yeah, first show in 20 odd years. Really good venue and well run show, worth a visit if anyone's ever up here.

Met a few of the lads from IPMS Tyneside when I used to attend the meetings long ago, started going back now.

It's a very well attended club, good banter as ever.

20160705_171424_zpssufbbe8t.jpg

RLM 71 is on. For some reason the paint has reacted badly with the RLM65 (both from AK) that was oversprayed on the rear fuselage and left a horrible texture. I'm going to leave it a few days to harden and then I'll attempt to sand it back.

The RLM 65 in this are never seemed to fully dry and remained tacky for some reason, resulting in me giving the whole underside a coat of Aqua-Gloss to seal it all in.

Very peculiar.

• Like 3

Splinter is on. Alclad Aqua-Gloss is the worst. What kind of (apparently) airbrush ready varnish clogs a .35 needle on a just stripped and cleaned airbrush in under a minute, and leaves an awful rough texture to boot....and attract every mote of dust from miles around? Brush painting never gives any better results as regardless of what I do (and the 25 quid spent on the bestest, largest, flattest, softest series 7 brush I could find) seems to stop it a) showing brush strokes and B) looking pap.

I very rarely consider chucking this hobby in, but ANYTHING to do with varnishing a model drives me near apoplectic. If the weather round here wasn't so resolutely awful 364 days of the year I'd go back to spray cans. I never remember Purity Seal causing me these problems.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear your varnish woes mate! Hope it doesn't cause you much more grief?!

I had the same issue with tamiya' ocean grey (RAF) wouldn't dry, I actually left it for months and all other paint applied hardened but not that! I have put it down to using to much flow improver as I never had an issue when cutting with water. So I may be the thinner you are using if spraying? I only ever brush paint...

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Transfers going on. Managed to sort the gloss issue with the liberal application of micromesh and more aqua gloss.

20160723_202124_zpsjydoalbf.jpg

I can't make out what the nose art on in the original picture is, but the transfer sheet has some weird pooping bird in some crosshairs which I'm not sure about using, especially as it isn't flipped for the opposite side. so I might just leave the nose free of it.

EDIT: Put the codes on, and started with the window frame decals for the nose...well, I've put one on, which was the only one out of the three which I could actually place where it was meant to go. Whilst pussing that on I noticed some 'bubbling' around the codes on the starboard side. Remember that patch of the model where I'd found the paint was always acting weird? Well it's doing it again. The microsol has eaten the paint, right back to plastic in some places. This build is haunted, but at least the distemper will cover it. :/

• Like 2

20160725_162148_zpsp234lxsx.jpg

The nose trancals did not go well...*sigh*...I better be getting the masking tape and airbrush out again then.

In my defence there was absolutely NO direction from HB as to how to apply them.

Not much time left on this build I should hope. Especially as the GB's nearly done and I've been neglecting my co-hosting duties in the Vignette GB massively.

• Like 2