Whirlwind HAS 9 Tis finished

I decied to build the whirlwind after all. I dont do highly detailed models so losing the etch is no big deal I might even find it again it must be in a box somewhere.

1.jpg

Donar kit and the converson kit

sprues

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Marked out ready for cutting

7.jpg

The nose is going to need some filler to make it akk join up nicely I will keep the door shut

8.jpg

Next up get rid of the cooling grills I will use the red and blue/grey colour sheme supplied in the kit It will look nice along the HAR10 I have already. I have the kits and bits to do the MK7 and HCC12 which is what I will be doing after this one.

Cockpit and grill next

Rodders

• Like 2

Nice! Would be great if someone would do a conversion for the Revell 1/48 Chickasaw kit!

Mission impossible, well almost...

Colin

• Like 1

Hope you don't mind me pulling up a chair? I've a few of these (and the Mk.7) tucked away & would appreciate learning from those who go before!

Edge

• Like 1

Looking good Rodders, hope you enjoy the conversion parts.

Colin

I have just bought another of yours and I have the heritage HAS9 conversion as well. I chose yours because of the way the main door is done I will use the heritage one to do the MK7 and the nose to do the HCC12. I do prefer the heritage one because that one has the exhaust already hollow whereas the Rotocraft has it solid and getting the exhaust thin was a bit of a nightmare (remember the type of model bodger I am) and was put off the conversion before because of this. How would you suggest that do the intake on the MK7?

Rodders

Nice! Would be great if someone would do a conversion for the Revell 1/48 Chickasaw kit!

Would be nice for an update for this kit the wheels are total ficticious The Kit is rocking horse poo as well I havent seen one for many years

Rodders

I have just bought another of yours and I have the heritage HAS9 conversion as well. I chose yours because of the way the main door is done I will use the heritage one to do the MK7 and the nose to do the HCC12. I do prefer the heritage one because that one has the exhaust already hollow whereas the Rotocraft has it solid and getting the exhaust thin was a bit of a nightmare (remember the type of model bodger I am) and was put off the conversion before because of this. How would you suggest that do the intake on the MK7?

Rodders

Hi Rodders, re the exhaust, if you look closely it has some contour to it as all it and a lip around the edge. All it needs is painting silver and a Remove before Flight tag adding. I modelled it with the cover in place.

Colin

• Like 2

Hi Rodders, re the exhaust, if you look closely it has some contour to it as all it and a lip around the edge. All it needs is painting silver and a Remove before Flight tag adding. I modelled it with the cover in place.

Colin

DAMM I have drilled and hollowed it out never mind I have painted it black so hopefully it will be alright.

I have removed the grills from the kit and am currently building the cockpit. I am off work at the moment so have plenty of time on my hands and this build has me hooked.

Hope you don't mind me pulling up a chair? I've a few of these (and the Mk.7) tucked away & would appreciate learning from those who go before!

Edge

I think you may learn how not to do it see the bit about the exhauset above

Rodders

• Like 1

Coming on nicely ,windows in, cockpit in and ready for closing Windscreen modified just needs to be finally polished this kit has brought back my mojo

10.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

And here is one I did earlier

11.jpg

Onwards and upwards

Rodders

• Like 3

I think you may learn how not to do it see the bit about the exhauset above

Rodders

You're doing better than I ever could Rodders! I'm struggling to even find time to get to the modelling bench so any kind of conversion is out of the question!

Except I'm building (well I've started) an Airfix Spitfire Mk.1 and am fitting a 3D kits mk.II LR set - not quite in this league but a start!

Edge

• Like 1

Excellent choice to pick the Whirlwind, Oh how I would love to see this in 1:48th but alas the weight goes on! I did one years ago with, I think, the airwaves conversion, they do look very nice, not too sure about the yellow though :wicked: . Always good to see a mojo return and looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

Keep up the good work

Bob

• Like 1

Well it all put togeather now and after getting on with the filling. this is not the conversions fault but mine I am nowhere as good as Colin but we perservere

15.jpg

The kit is beginning to look like a mk9. Can anyone tell me where I can get the torpedo for the aircraft and mor importantly does anyone have/tell me where i can get the floatation gear for the wheels

16.jpg

Masked up for the undercoat of the red I am not sure which Tamaya paint number to use for this any help greatfully recieved.

17.jpg

Using Halford white for the undercoat

Thats it for now Folks

Rodders

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me where I can get the torpedo for the aircraft and mor importantly does anyone have/tell me where i can get the floatation gear for the wheels

Masked up for the undercoat of the red I am not sure which Tamaya paint number to use for this any help greatfully recieved.

Good questions! The flotation gear is done in white metal by Whirlybird.

I guess you are going for the fluorescent red scheme so good paints for my experience are from Revell, Mr Color or Tamiya spray can, depending on what you can procure.

Fabio

• Like 1

Painting done I was looking through my paints and came across an unused florescent red by Modelair I used field blue from Tamiya and I think it is a good match. The red needed about 4 coats I have to order the flotation gear from whirlybird (thanks for info Fabio) and whilst there I will get the winch as well.

18.jpg

I have added the decals which are very good I like the colour scheme a lot I think I will do a Wessex in it next. I have recently purchased the 1/48 scale Italeri one so I might use that one.

19.jpg

20.jpg

Still lots to do both main and tail rotors, wheels steps and others details

Onwards and upwards

Rodders

• Like 6

Tis done (or done as far as I'm concerned) I have enjoyed it and to my mind it came out better than I thought it would. Thanks to Colin (heloman1) for producing the coversion I expect that he must feel that all the effort that went into the etch was wasted but it wasnt it is just that I dont have the skills to use it. I have tried etch and failed miserably I was thinking of using the sheet from the other converion I own but decied against it.

Anyway Pics
22.jpg

23.jpg

Still have time for another for the group build lets get rooting through the stash

Rodders

• Like 7

Love it, great dayglo. My god you banged that one out quick rodders I saw you starting it a week ago, I didn't expect it done by now!

Its easy, I don't watch the telly (I find it mostly rubbish) and I am off work on the sick

My build don't take long anyway normally as I have only ever got one build on the go at a time.

Rodders