ICM Ju 88 A5 1/48 **finished**

Yes, the pilot uses a dive-bombing sight (Stuvi) that's hinged in the canopy framing in front of him. The observer/navigator/bombardier/whatever uses the target compu... calculator, feeding speed and altitude information manually. There's a lit bow-tie looking light symbol moving in the Stuvi and when it hits the aiming point the pilot presses the bomb release/automatic dive leveller button in the control stick. Everybody and everything (!) is strapped during the dive as they all feel almost weightless during the dive and all loose stuff hits the canopy! After the bomb release the gravity does strike back, though!

Source: 2nd.ltn. Tuuri Heporauta's war memories, he was a Ju 88 observer during 1944. Sometimes I feel sorry for you guys not able to read all we have available, written in Finnish

V-P,

Thanks for verifying that, I did think before I saw the video that it would be madness not being strapped in. In a steep dive you can just imagine him clinging onto the bomb site, yeah there's not a lot on the net that doesn't need some sort of translation.

Nice pair of engines .Shame to cover them up but inflight without engine covers with a mechanic hanging on for his life ,yes i can see that working :pilot:

Thanks Mottlemaster,

I did think that with the aircraft in a steep dive that they fell off showing the engines, as at that point in aviation history airworthiness was not at the forefront of people's minds.

• Like 1

Why not an in flight cut-away version, showing cockpit, engines, scratch built wing and fuselage ribs, stringers, cables, wiring, pipework......... You might be done by next August :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Why not an in flight cut-away version, showing cockpit, engines, scratch built wing and fuselage ribs, stringers, cables, wiring, pipework......... You might be done by next August :winkgrin:

DaveyGair,

Sounds like a project and a half, if I started now i think next August may be optimistic. I've got another GB starting at the end of the month, so will be splitting my time between both.

A small update, I've been waiting for the eduard painted cockpit detail to arrive before continuing and also the final crewman plus parachutes. I've also cut the guide lugs off the bottom fuselage as there was a small fit issue. The cockpit was airbrushed with RLM 02 from the Hataka range I had left over from my BoB build.

308d387f570dcd99d0b86a4f2dc642bd_zpsgzm7

1219b5e895ea686ac84a3b1eaac1207f_zpslmgq

d263a924aa903be2d1b32bc95253ba20_zpsy3m7

A small bit of seam clearance to do, me thinks.

• Like 2

Looking good and crowded too! V-P

Thanks V-P,

I've had to sand the gunners right leg to get him in, hopefully I will finish of the cockpit detail over the weekend. Then stick it all down ready for the wings, engines and other bits then find a 1/72 T-34 for it to dive on.

This must be one of the most difficult aircraft to get a crew squeezed into . Good luck with the arms . :cold: had to use this emotive .

Mottlemaster thanks,

Yes it's been a squeeze, I've been putting off arm attatchment for a little while now. I think there is going to be a little surgery required to get a nice fit.

Had a really productive morning, all of the sub systems are built just need to stick them all down.

220cf9f1a0b61096504b7618684f2d7c_zpsztrg

Arms and parachutes on and in, nice and cozy there was more space for arms on the driver and radio Ops side.

d0503a66d90a0b0f85a10e9b34f5622e_zpsbpn6

I found a picture of an engine as I wasn't happy with the kits part, I found that it was a mesh so decided to cut the kits part and put some mesh behind it to allow the air to flow.

4a99bb2c3f4010b0228e0c756e41e2da_zpsh0ta

• Like 2

Coming along nicely mate, been busy with another project to try out my airbrushing skills, got some catching up to do!

Thanks DaveyGair,

I'm cracking on with this one to then move onto another GB, that's my intent if it comes to fruition I'll be happy. Hope your airbrushing goes well, I've had mine for about 7 years now the first 3 I only used it for an all over coat. I'm getting braver not done any crazy German cammo with it yet.

Are the engine covers a decent fit /? 9 times out of ten iv found the engine covers to be a difficult bit as the manufacturers cant believe anyone would want to cover the engines up .

• Like 1

Are the engine covers a decent fit /? 9 times out of ten iv found the engine covers to be a difficult bit as the manufacturers cant believe anyone would want to cover the engines up .

The engine covers on the sides fit well, with the fit onto the main wing at the top may require a little filler. The covers for the wheels have been a little problematic as the kit is designed for a wheels down configuration, they needed a little sanding and filler, the kit on the whole has a pretty good fit the filler used so far was my eagerness.

Great build,looking forward to seeing it

finished

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Should look pretty good once she's done, then all I've got to do is fix her coming in on a 45* dive onto a 1/72 T 34. Happy days.

I've seen a GB somewhere, not participating in it, where the theme was to reconstruct old box art. Someone did a splendid Airfix Ju 88 attacking a British warship - an Airfix tribal class destroyer iirc. That was very good 😊!

• Like 1

I've seen a GB somewhere, not participating in it, where the theme was to reconstruct old box art. Someone did a splendid Airfix Ju 88 attacking a British warship - an Airfix tribal class destroyer iirc. That was very good !

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/AMSIG_SMW_2012_Show_news_reports_and_pictures__about36171.html&start=60

Wow nice pictures, there is loads on here, I've also seen a Ju 87 with a blown up T-34 with a trench system but I think that was all in 1/72. I had a small dry run with a 1/72 Sherman and it's not going to need to be that high up less than 30cm high.

I didn't realise you had this on the go Ozzy, my apologies. Looking good bud.

Thanks Bodmin,

I brought the kit last year ready for this GB, after doing an ICM kit las year I had no hesitation to get this one. I do enjoy the odd aircraft as variety is the spice of life.

Spent the weekend split between 2 GB's on the 88 front, I've been mainly filling and sanding not that the kits a shocking fit. When I was dry fitting it fitted like a glove, once I added the glue there were slight gaps in places.

0b359405faad58aa79598c85f4346cda_zps2zgm

The underside without the engines fitted, they fit into the 4 holes on the wing.

7a74a441f426342cd5135f89bb3652e2_zpsnarx

Engines dry fitted, they do fit nicely onto the wings.

8640dda623a8c0a65e9b0096031de0c5_zps9umj

• Like 3

Got a bit of paint on, I used HATAKA A029 (RLM 65/78) for the underside went through my airbrush well. I had to give the nozzle a little wipe halfway through, here's a few shots of the underside.

f238e8fdc47eb229b4d7cd0b48b08b68_zpsoick

888a04fee347b27889ffa10f07f31342_zpsouya

A close up of the bombs, brush painted using Tamiya's khaki drab. The outer bombs aren't going to be fixed as they will be free falling towards the T-34's.

acabd962d372b1724ba3aae93d5c35b6_zpsfzxg

• Like 3

I have never used the HATAKA paints so interesting to get your report . blue is always a difficult color to photograph so how do you think it comes out in tone with other paints ? Looks gloss so will yo decal straight on to it ?

• Like 1

I have never used the HATAKA paints so interesting to get your report . blue is always a difficult color to photograph so how do you think it comes out in tone with other paints ? Looks gloss so will yo decal straight on to it ?

This is my second kit using these paints, they are definitely an airbrush paint as they are a little thin to brush paint. This is the paint set you get 4 bottles 2 green 1 blue and Grey.

8384b63bf9b926d06d739251bccd1736_zpsoi0v

They dry to a satin Matt finish, the Ju 88 has had no undercoat and only one coat of paint. I do like this make of paint I've got no complaints, I found them in my local model shop all the paints I needed in one box.

This is my Hs 126 airbrushed with the same paints.

dd695cf6a5d49ab636504c667f6b00ab_zpsv0lw

5c2e6a8a2d9026b285ddb5a49dd86650_zpsjoyb

• Like 3