ICM Ju 88 A5 1/48 **finished**

This is what I'm going to build, the ICM 1/48 A5 I'm going to build out of the box less for the transfers. As I had a complete nightmare on my HS 126 and hopefully a crew if I can find one, if anybody has any ideas that would be much appreciated. My plan is to build this before starting another GB which starts in May, hopefully I will get all my kits finished.

This is what you get in the box.

796a2217c4a315596b8020e7e138b9da_zpskpes

• Like 4

Is this one going to be in flight like your 126 ? . i have been looking for a good luftwaffe (in flight ) crew but they seem as scarce as hens teeth . lots standing around demonstrating to their friends their tactics or if seated its in a deck chair.

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 1

Is this one going to be in flight like your 126 ? . i have been looking for a good luftwaffe (in flight ) crew but they seem as scarce as hens teeth . lots standing around demonstrating to their friends their tactics or if seated its in a deck chair.

Cheers

Alistair

Not sure yet Alistair, I'm toying with either in a dive with bombs being released or on the ground as it comes with engines. Yeah I've been looking for a crew, I think hens teeth would be easier to find.

Good luck, Ozzy, we all need to see that ICM kit built! Regards, V-P

Me to V-P it's been sat in my war office since its release, I've been very good now can't wait to build it.

looking at your pictures it looks like the ICM has more sensible parts breakdown ,compared with the Dragon /revell kits avoiding problems caused by having to add wingtips and cockpit . I guess icm will produce a totally new kit for the later models of 88.

• Like 1

looking at your pictures it looks like the ICM has more sensible parts breakdown ,compared with the Dragon /revell kits avoiding problems caused by having to add wingtips and cockpit . I guess icm will produce a totally new kit for the later models of 88.

I think I've got an answer for a crew, I've got some chaps coming from Hannants, a little resin surgery hopefully they will all fit in. It does look a nicely engineered kit, the fit of various parts do look better in the wing area. I've seen a glimpse on the net of the two different Ju 88's it says new parts rather than a complete new aircraft like they have done with other kits. Had some thoughts on displaying envoling a 1/72 T-34. I saw a Ju 87 dio on the net but both kits were 1/72, I'm going to see if the compasition is ok with a broken 110 and a Sherman to get so sizing.

Last little bits have turned up, I've got 3 crew at the moment I will see how they fit then may buy another. If there is space, I've got a masking set and a set of transfers.

9641ee3f8d34ab0535e438528f063ad5_zpsd0tk

I made a start with the masking, I think I'm going to do a little at a time as there is a lot of windows to cover. I also made a start on the cockpit area, no problems so far.

9fbc2c38380b3b2372d18a1eaa14c27f_zps5jil

• Like 3

I have used the PJ production pilots before .Mine reacted well to a bowl of hot water to alter arm and leg positions to get them to fit .

Yours may need milliput fur collars to keep them warmer !

• Like 1

I have used the PJ production pilots before .Mine reacted well to a bowl of hot water to alter arm and leg positions to get them to fit .

Yours may need milliput fur collars to keep them warmer !

Mottlemaster thanks,

I used these figures on my Hs 126, so a known quantity, I will give the hot water a go to get the best fitting. My plan for the aero bonus figure is to sand down the seat and have him as the driver and the PJ chaps for the other two seats and if there is space get the fourth crew member. I will need to get them all some thermals.

• Like 1

Just a small up date, stuck the wings and the elevators together. I also made a start on the seating arrangements.

46ae53d0bc9b7a03f0a091e12e5e7bce_zpswyqr

I had to hack at the original seat but looking at the seat, he seems to fit in ok.

8f3e845e57f10b625c5f2fec8846793a_zpsxgdo

• Like 5

With the pilot in ,it is easy to see how cramped the 88 cockpit was . Yes he looks like he has settled into his seat though he will get cramp in his toes after a long flight . I guess it would be possible to alter angle of rudder peddles ?

• Like 1

Pilot looks good. I don't think I've ever built a model aircraft, even when I was a kid, with crew figures added, yet when building military vehicles I always added them to add a bit of life. Might have to give it a try methinks.

• Like 1

With the pilot in ,it is easy to see how cramped the 88 cockpit was . Yes he looks like he has settled into his seat though he will get cramp in his toes after a long flight . I guess it would be possible to alter angle of rudder peddles ?

It's definitely going to be cosy, packed to make use of the crews body heat. I had thought I was going to have to sand the original seat completely off, thankfully I checked. It doesn't look a comfortable position for a long trip, may play havoc with your ankles using more role than yaw.

Pilot looks good. I don't think I've ever built a model aircraft, even when I was a kid, with crew figures added, yet when building military vehicles I always added them to add a bit of life. Might have to give it a try methinks.

Thanks DaveyGair,

I think I always added the figures, when I started building armour I wasn't that impressed with the lack of crew figure. It seems a little hit and miss with kits with a crew, definitely worth a try having a crew brings a model to life.

a484d5ec8b0668e36ffe2b52a01f12ae_zpsx9qu

Bit more cockpit action, I got the wireless operators chair built and also got him sitting in to his position against the radios. The other seats on attached to the fuselage but thinking about haw I'm going to display it, the Bombardier will be lying down or crouched over his bomb site. Not sure how I will do that one? The gunners seat faces the wireless operators seat, will have to do a little leg surgery.

• Like 3

Nice sharp detail on the pilot . he should be a pleasure to paint and detail up . the radio operator looks a little smoother > i dont mean like the Fonz :)

The radio Op is from the PJ company, I used them in my HS 126 the details there it's just not as defined as the aero bonus chap so hopefully they should all pass muster once a painted, my plan is to get them all and in situ then spray the complete inside then use that as an undercoat. Then put the fine detail on them all.

Ozzy (and everyone) take a look at this diorama

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/canio/20130404/ i have no words to describe how good it is . the 88 crew have been hand made !!!!!

Thanks Mottlemaster,

That's a nice dio, I built the third guy yesterday and used him in both seats. They all fitted in nicely so orded another PJ figure and some back parachutes and the cockpit detail set, luckly I won't need to add life jackets.

Have had a productive day, it looks pritty impressive even with the tape, clamps and blu tac.

be3bac3a095207bff8ec075160d5d9e4_zpsts5n

A close up of the cockpit just waiting for the rear gunner to turn up, once he turns up I will stick them all down and position their arms.

73d0990bfa673f698b9c2aebdfd4956f_zps76ua

It seems a real shame to cover the engines up, these are part of the kit there are panels you can have removed.

a7580ac45c7663857ddc73b23d4930f3_zpssaii

The engine from a different angle, i also used my leftover prop blur's.

87bd37b212dc3dc20e4eddc44f4aeecb_zpsegx2

• Like 5

Hi,

now that pit does look cramped !, this was going to be my build until i read the negitive comments about it on our favorite forum :weep:

but youre doing a great build may well ressurect mine now.....

Andy

• Like 1

Is there a work bench underneath the 88 :evil_laugh:

I hope so, I normally have a tidy before starting a new project. I've still got bits of platforwagon and paint pots cluttering it up.

Hi,

now that pit does look cramped !, this was going to be my build until i read the negitive comments about it on our favorite forum :weep:

but youre doing a great build may well ressurect mine now.....

Andy

Andy,

Thanks,

Yeah it can get a little cramped in my War office, I tend not to read reviews for that reason. Having stuck various bits on with tape I can see areas that may cause a little problems, with the wing attatchment but apart from that it's gone together really well. If you've got one I'd definitely give it a go.

Not a lot to report, I've painted the engines it's a real shame they will be covered. I have watched so videos on you tube of a Ju 88 conducting dive bombing operations, I think it was on a computer game? Anyway it looks like it's done off a head up display rather than the Bombarder doing the aiming, so all crew members will be strapped in.

36908f199469ec35d145d0962e6c34fa_zps6ygm

c83c8217ef3dea2cb0a9a49993f8ebbc_zpsmfno

• Like 4

Yes, the pilot uses a dive-bombing sight (Stuvi) that's hinged in the canopy framing in front of him. The observer/navigator/bombardier/whatever uses the target compu... calculator, feeding speed and altitude information manually. There's a lit bow-tie looking light symbol moving in the Stuvi and when it hits the aiming point the pilot presses the bomb release/automatic dive leveller button in the control stick. Everybody and everything (!) is strapped during the dive as they all feel almost weightless during the dive and all loose stuff hits the canopy! After the bomb release the gravity does strike back, though!

Source: 2nd.ltn. Tuuri Heporauta's war memories, he was a Ju 88 observer during 1944. Sometimes I feel sorry for you guys not able to read all we have available, written in Finnish 😊

• Like 1